Munkelzahn said:
Does anyone have experience with this?
I'm not sure if I should ask in English, or use a translation website like https://translate.google.com/

Most artists on pixiv [the 'popular'/older ones, anyway] tend to have at least some grasp of English (since it's compulsory at a certain education level)

-
There's a whooole bunch of etiquette involved when making a request like this, but I can't say as a hard rule if it's different between Japanese and non-Japanese parties

(tl;dr - depends on the person in question)

Munkelzahn said:
One of the many Japanese e621 users could volunteer to help.
Similar to an art request:
"10 slots for Pixiv repost permission requests, done by a native speaker of Japanese"

This sounds very promising too!

If enough people are interested, I could write up a template request thing, but the people using it would need to have some grasp of the language to alter the contents accordingly per artist (some of them have different conditions)

--
If anyone else has other ideas about this, that'd be really great

@titanmelon : This bit?

• Do not take work posted on pixiv and post them on other websites, use them in products, or any other action without creator’s permission.

Source

Wodahseht said:
@titanmelon : This bit?

Yup, that's the one

Never got anything, huh? Lot of artists drawing Sectonia and Taranza over there that I would like to post from. Especially considering if Latias would prefer to not have her works here.

If you don't get any reply from the artist and don't see any statement about how they don't want their art to be redistributed, for me at least, you shouldn't feel too guilty to share their stuff here. There is no wrong that is being done and you did enough on your side to ask for permission. If then the artist really doesn't feel like sharing his work with others for some silly reason after he noticed the art being redistributed, then he can issue a takedown very easily and "nothing" horrible will have occurred in the end

legally you can't post their work without their permission. we must understand there is little correlation between what is fair, and what is legal.

i have my doubts this entire website will stop dead in its tracks for failing to earn permission from an artist who would not like their art to be seen by more people. in the absence of this site banning it, i can't think of a problem with uploading their work, as plenty of work has been uploaded without the artist's arbitrary permission.

Legally you don't have permission to draw fanart of any copyrighted character without explicit permission, so it comes with a bit of hypocrisy for most of those artists unwilling to let people share their work since most of them are doing just that.

The one detail I don't understand is redistributing artists' freely available public pictures cause no harm at all, but some artists make a huge fuss about it. Like I said many times, I get it when it is about being uncredited, art theft and really stupid edits, but this isn't a problem here, at least not for a long time if that ever happens. I really don't understand why so many artists refuse to get more spotlight and viewership by doing absolutely nothing, and actually think that their art being spread elsewhere by other people actually causes any sort of harm and views drop on their main gallery

Neitsuke said:
[...]

reminds me of this:

ambiguous_gender biped black_nose blue_background border by-sa comic creative_commons duo ears_up english_text green_background hi_res humor lagomorph mammal nina_paley open_mouth purple_background rabbit simple_background text watermark white_border yelling

Rating: Safe
Score: 2
User: fewrahuxo
Date: May 14, 2017

perhaps artists don't understand the purpose of their craft is to be spread. if you're spread the most, you win. when we tell them we repost their work because we enjoy it, do they believe us?

maybe it's just a Japanese stigma that absolutely nobody reposts each others art.

fewrahuxo said:
reminds me of this:

ambiguous_gender biped black_nose blue_background border by-sa comic creative_commons duo ears_up english_text green_background hi_res humor lagomorph mammal nina_paley open_mouth purple_background rabbit simple_background text watermark white_border yelling

Rating: Safe
Score: 2
User: fewrahuxo
Date: May 14, 2017

perhaps artists don't understand the purpose of their craft is to be spread. if you're spread the most, you win. when we tell them we repost their work because we enjoy it, do they believe us?

maybe it's just a Japanese stigma that absolutely nobody reposts each others art.

They reblog/tweet all the time. Some people want to control strictly where their art is posted, and others don't mind if you ask first. In the case of Pixiv it's literally in the ToS not to repost without permission.

That's all there is to it.

Seems to be in place due to a ton of complaints from artists maybe, because the rule written like that sounds quite excessive for something that's already copyrighted protected by the Berne Convention. It's just weird to see this rule in place since the website is highly known for having a ton of doujins being merchandised with characters artists didn't themselves ask permission to draw and sell. That and the TOS says how you can't use Pixiv to commercially advertise, which they do by uploading samples on Pixiv and linking purchase link to their doujins.

One other funny part about that rule is how the latter part pretty much tells you that anything else to be done with the picture has to be asked for permissions first, so sorry guys, but that sounds like we can't fap to stuff from Pixiv without asking the artist first

FibS
11 days ago

Always ask for permission before reposting (not reblogging / retweeting) an artist's work.

It's as simple as that.

Any further complications are weasel logic to intentionally confuse the situation, and I will have to conclude anyone doing such a thing is most likely generally an art thief.

FibS said:
[...]

it appears you are most likely generalising everyone on this booru as an art thief, for I hazard the vast majority of posters here do not ask for permission from the artists, nor have the appropriate licenses to do so.

if you wish to make your vision of the artist having complete control over their work a reality, i invite you to scour through all 1.07 million posts and see which ones did not receive their proper permissions. at the end of the day, it will be barren.

Neitsuke, considering that it's in our guidelines to ask, and it's in Pixiv's terms of service to ask, I'd rather not just post without asking. Sure, if it's impossible to contact an artist you're forced to decide for yourself, but gallery-based sites tend to not allow a closed inbox.

Frankly, even if the gallery doesn't have such a ToS, I will follow our own guidelines, because I happen to value being a respected uploader. People can look at my uploads and know that hey, these are artists who permit uploads! They can go to those galleries and upload without worry.
On the other hand, I look at images uploaded by others, and realize that they had a bunch of Takedown requests. Sure, sometimes it happens regardless, and an artist who gave permission before revokes it, but when a few images uploaded in a short term of time all get taken down shortly afterwards, then I realize I can't trust their uploads.

With japanese artists, their art can get them in a lot of legal trouble. Especially if its uncensored due to laws put in place (mainly due to america) during the 50s that made it illegal to depict any form of genitalia without censorship of some kind.

So that clause is there for protection of those artists from the law. If you don't have upload permission by the artist from pixiv. You likely should not post it. Its as simple as that.

That legal trouble theory sounds, kind of a weird excuse for "plz no redistribute" because Japanese artists, well everyone really, have to censor their stuff on Pixiv in the first place : That is a law and a policy on Pixiv. So I'm pretty certain it isn't there to protect people from the laws because they're already deleting pictures that are not censored properly (If they find it out or it gets reported)

And again, I don't see myself using up a lot of my time to ask left and right and manage all those replies from Japanese artists about permission to share publicly available art and remember who says Ya and who said Nah, because the idea of doing just that really sounds dumb to me. Unless the person is a close friend, or just someone from Skype that I happen to have, the idea of asking permission simply isn't there in my mind, but again, maybe I will at least start to let people know if I ever share their work on e621 with a shout on FA and InkBunny at least

Furrin_Gok said:
[...]

it so happens the majority of lurkers on this booru, and what i hazard at least 30% of its regular editors, don't find the artist's permission to hold any added value to a post. ask a lurker if they care about permissions, and they'll invariably say "yes" to avoid being rude, but ask them the top five things they look for in a post, and i doubt permission will be on the list.

Neitsuke said:

And again, I don't see myself using up a lot of my time to ask left and right and manage all those replies from Japanese artists about permission to share publicly available art and remember who says Ya and who said Nah, because the idea of doing just that really sounds dumb to me. Unless the person is a close friend, or just someone from Skype that I happen to have, the idea of asking permission simply isn't there in my mind, but again, maybe I will at least start to let people know if I ever share their work on e621 with a shout on FA and InkBunny at least

Better to send a note instead, shouts would be spammy for long messages.

FA does a great job of organizing notes if you know how to use 'em. I have repurposed the priority mailboxes to indicate each artist/commissioner response, ie Low(Green) as Yes, Medium(Blue) as Maybe/Not asked yet, High(Red) as No/Ignored.

That way makes it much more easier to remember who said yes or no.

Neitsuke said:
Legally you don't have permission to draw fanart of any copyrighted character

Could fine the one I was looking for, but this will do just fine.