Fur is a synonym for hair, used more in reference to non-human animals, usually mammals; particularly those with extensive body hair coverage. The term is sometimes used to refer to the body hair of an animal as a complete coat, also known as the "pelage". Fur is also used to refer to animal pelts which have been processed into leather with the hair still attached. The words fur or furry are also used, more casually, to refer to hair-like growths or formations; particularly when the subject being referred to exhibits a dense coat of fine, soft "hairs".
- body - A fallback for when the body texture is difficult to decipher.
- feathers - A complex texture, seen in birds, and most gryphons. Often applied to wings of such species.
- fur - A furry texture, seen in most mammals. Even a single tuft will influence this.
- scales - A squamous texture, seen in reptiles, scalies, and most dragons.
- skin - A smooth texture, seen in humans, dolphins, and amphibians.