A post represents a single file that's been uploaded. Posts can be tagged, flagged for deletion, searched for, deleted, approved, sourced, added to pools, given ratings, have notes added to them, commented, voted on, and favorited.
Searching for posts is straightforward. Simply enter the tags you want to search for, separated by spaces. For example, searching for
apple orangewill return every post that has both the
appletag AND the
That's not all. e621 offers several meta-tags that let you further refine your search, allowing you to search for things like width, height, score, uploader, date, and more. Consult the cheat sheet for a complete list of what you can do.
? + – tehcanine-art 950
? + – mammal 950
? + – nintendo 950
? + – fluttershy 950
? + – simple background 950
In both the listing page and the show page you'll notice a list of tag links with characters next to them. Here's an explanation of what the links are:
- ? The wiki page for that tag. If the tag is an artist tag it will take you to the artist page instead.
- + Adds the tag to your current search.
- – Negates the tag from your current search.
Also shown on the post index (whether searching with a tag or not) is a list of trending tags. These are the thirty tags that have been applied to the most posts in the last 24 hours, sorted by total post count.
In the main listing page, you'll notice a menu labeled "Mode" in the sidebar. Simply select an option and whenever you click on a thumbnail, the action will be performed on the post in the background.
- View Posts - Go to post. Default behavior
- Edit Posts - Shows a tag edit box which allows you to quickly change its tags from the index.
- Add to Favorites / Remove from Favorites - Adds or removes a post from your favorites.
- Add to Set / Remove from Set - Add/remove a post from the selected set. Only sets you own or maintain are in the list.
- Add to Pool / Remove from Pool - Same as above, but for pools instead of sets. Non-active pools do not show up in the list.
- Rate Safe/Questionable/Explicit (Privileged+) - Set a post's rating.
- Vote Up / Vote Down (Privileged+) - Vote the post up or down.
- Lock Rating / Lock Notes (Privileged+) - Lock the post's rating or notes, so basic members cannot change them.
- Approve Post (Janitor+) - Approves the post.
In the listing page, you will notice that some thumbnails have a border. The meaning of this border depends on the color.
Red - The post was flagged for deletion.
Blue - The post is pending moderator approval.
Green - The post has child posts.
Yellow - The post has a parent.
- Source: The URL that the post and artist can be found at (max 5).
- Posted: This is the indicator of when the post was submitted, and the name of the submitter.
- Approver: This is the name of the moderator who has last approved the post, if any.
- Size: The width, height, and file size.
- Rating: The rating of the post.
- Score: The score of the post.
- Id: The id is the way of finding the post via a URL.
- Favorited by: List of users who have favorited a post.
- +favorite: Add the post to your "favorites"/help/favorites.
- Resize image: This resizes the image on the page.
- Delete (janitor+) / Undelete (mod+): Deletes or undeletes the post.
- Flag for deletion: The FFD page.
- Add note/translation: Adds a note to the post.
- Add to pool - Adds a post to a specific pool. Non-active pools do not show up in the list.
- Add to set - Adds a post to a specific set. Only sets you own or maintain are in the list.
- Set as avatar - Sets the current post as your avatar.
- Fix thumbnail (contrib+) - Use if the thumbnail is corrupt. May take a couple days for the correct thumbnail to show up due to caching.