good art but still downvoted?

In category: Art Talk

Is there any reason why it happens? I usually see good stuff, but it gets a turn for the worse in story or content.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
3 months ago
black_fur blue_eyes blue_feathers blue_hair equine fan_character feathered_wings feathers female feral flying fur hair hi_res horn mammal multicolored_hair my_little_pony shilokh smile snowdrift snowflake solo star watermark white_feathers winged_unicorn wings

Rating: Safe
Score: 23
User: SnowWolf
Date: July 28, 2012

Alexander_X said:
Is there any reason why it happens? I usually see good stuff, but it gets a turn for the worse in story or content.

People have opinions. Maybe they don't like something about it: Too flashy, not flashy enough, too detailed, not detailed enough. Too sexy, not sexy enough, too overtly sexy, too prudish. Too natural, too unnatural, too shiny, not shiny enough... Too blue, not blue enough... it's all preference, man.

well when it comes to newly uploaded post . my theory is there a groups of trolls waiting at the bridge to ambush them before it's fan come to it rescue.

apart from that if we're talking about art that isn't grotesque or "not someone cup of tea". usually it because of the stigma of the subject. whether is suicide,abortion,etc. as long as most user can relate to it, there going to love or hate together. then there the history of the post that should be considered. for examples comic like servant of the servant was crowdfunded but it had a terrible plot so of course people started to get a little peeved. sometime it the artist/character themselves people have a problem with. i can't find the post to prove it but when I searched score: <=-50 -blood -scat -what , I found a anthro canine that was down voted because he was in it

Good is subjective. Care to provide links for what you label "good", or what you believe is getting unwarranted downvotes? There are also matters like irrelevancy, huge file size, or illegibility (say, a comic page in less than 500x500). I know of people that don't like low or huge resolution sizes either; downvotes are basically irrelevant to the quality of an image at these points.

I know if someone shovels up more SFM "Art" and it looks like crap, Is badly framed, All the models and materials don't complement eachother or it shows zero effort, I'll downvote it. Same with the average screenshot from skyrim.

Quality is ultimately subjective.

FoxFourOhFour said:
I know if someone shovels up more SFM "Art" and it looks like crap, Is badly framed, All the models and materials don't complement eachother or it shows zero effort, I'll downvote it. Same with the average screenshot from skyrim.

SFM?

MyNameIsOver20charac said:
SFM?

Source film maker. Aka: "Garry's mod for would-be artists." Not saying there's not good stuff out there in it as far as engines go, Just there's a /LOT/ more low-quality shlock for it as well.

FoxFourOhFour said:

Is that why, despite the fact you've bashed so many artists and have demeaned their work constantly, you still have yet to be banned?

I went through your history, and half the time you rarely give out any real criticism. Instead you call their work terrible, and whenever somebody calls you out on it, you just call it " another day in the zoo" like it's nothing and you didn't hurt anybody.

Care to explain yourself?

SnowWolf said:
People have opinions. Maybe they don't like something about it: Too flashy, not flashy enough, too detailed, not detailed enough. Too sexy, not sexy enough, too overtly sexy, too prudish. Too natural, too unnatural, too shiny, not shiny enough... Too blue, not blue enough... it's all preference, man.

People may have opinions, no matter how right or wrong they are. Some people are just rude and downvote "because I can", etc. It's really sad.

Ok these threads are really starting to anoy me:
"Er ma gawd, people are downvoting things they don't like!!!!!!??:O:OD:D:D:"
What exactly do you people feel is the "suitable use" of the downvoting feature? It actually feels like your problem is the downvoting feature itself. ...no wait, that's not right. YOU and everyone that thinks like you should obviously be allowed to vote, while everyone else should be perma-banned, expelled, and executed with rusty spoons.
If you have a problem with the downvote feature existing then that should be your complaint, not people using it as intended.

What exactly do you people feel is the "suitable use" of the downvoting feature? It actually feels like your problem is the downvoting feature itself. ...no wait, that's not right. YOU and everyone that thinks like you should obviously be allowed to vote, while everyone else should be perma-banned, expelled, and executed with rusty spoons.
If you have a problem with the downvote feature existing then that should be your complaint, not people using it as intended.

... yet people want their votes to carry over from parent-deleted images, not realizing the unintended side effect that occurs that occurs when people uses their votes as intended.

But that is just me being spicy, there is more than just using votes to show favor/disdain to an image. You can use it in your search with meta tags, and theoretically we can *eventually* use votes to affect what see due to our blacklists. The votes do have a meaning, it just doesn't mean "votes = quality".

*edit* my god, my autocorrect is trying for homicide today... it's killing its fellow words.

Well maybe if people used the damn blacklist to block fetishes they don't like, provided REAL constructive critique and/or weren't so rude about things they dislike, maybe people wouldn't complain? It's one thing to downvote, it's quite another to downvote and then attack an artist or downvote something one can easily just blacklist. Is that so hard to understand? >.> People aren't being banned for downvoting, people are being banned for attacking artists for fetishes they hate, abusing the downvote system and refusal to use the blacklist as it's intended, among other things.

If there's anything that pisses me off, it's when people hate art for the sake of hating and then attacking artists for no reason.

fox_whisper85 said:
Well maybe if people used the damn blacklist to block fetishes they don't like, provided REAL constructive critique and/or weren't so rude about things they dislike, maybe people wouldn't complain? It's one thing to downvote, it's quite another to downvote and then attack an artist or downvote something one can easily just blacklist. Is that so hard to understand? >.> People aren't being banned for downvoting, people are being banned for attacking artists for fetishes they hate, abusing the downvote system and refusal to use the blacklist as it's intended, among other things.

If there's anything that pisses me off, it's when people hate art for the sake of hating and then attacking artists for no reason.

The ironic thing is users like FoxFourOhFour and so many others are the primary culprits.

I've seen the type of rude, demeaning trap they say to other users and their art, and they never learn that they should try to lighten up and quit taking this stuff so seriously.

They go about like they own the site and shit on people constantly, and that's the biggest reason why I hate Fox and the people on here like him.

They think they're making this place better, but they aren't. Especially when they aren't even artists themselves.

I was coming to conclusion it was trolls since I uploaded this piece at night where the traffic is slow.

https://e926.net/post/show/1437463

It had a good start of +2, but so far the domino effect is leading it down to -5. Should I flag it for deletion or leave it as it is?

I recently uploaded this at night, hoping it wasn't bad luck and just something sinister. It was at +2 but now it's a -5

But I could be wrong because it does sound cringe when I read it.

Alexander_X said:
I was coming to conclusion it was trolls since I uploaded this piece at night where the traffic is slow.

It had a good start of +2, but so far the domino effect is leading it down to -5. Should I flag it for deletion or leave it as it is?

You most certainly should not flag it for deletion. You should message an admin about your suspicions, if it is being targeted by an individual with multiple accounts. They can take action on that, but if it isn't then they won't take action.

*edit* huh, deja vu... even that post is familiar.

Mediocre art with fringe fetishes (such as anal vore) will often get downvoted simply for being what it is. Votes play no role in deciding if something stays or goes.

fox_whisper85 said:

This is why I'm not supportive of efforts to enable score filtering in blacklists. People using downvoting and abuse the feature instead of actually blacklisting tags is already a problem with certain subjects and such a feature seems like it'd just encourage it.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
3 months ago
black_fur blue_eyes blue_feathers blue_hair equine fan_character feathered_wings feathers female feral flying fur hair hi_res horn mammal multicolored_hair my_little_pony shilokh smile snowdrift snowflake solo star watermark white_feathers winged_unicorn wings

fox_whisper85 said:
People may have opinions, no matter how right or wrong they are. Some people are just rude and downvote "because I can", etc. It's really sad.

It's very true. I don't understand that mentality, but, y'know, people are what people are, I guess. :( I just don't get it myself--I'm pretty depressed and angry and miserable a lot of the time, and even then, my desires to lash out at others rarely leave my own head.

Alexander_X said:

No flagging, hun :)

Seriously, it's good art! It's just niche fetish stuff. Macro/micro stuff, anal vore territory. It's stuff that's going to have strong reactions, no matter what.

The other day, I uploaded a piece of body horror art. conjoined twins, demonic monster stuff. Gorgeous art: but one of my most downvoted images. (post #1436397 for the curious) Doesn't mean anything. Just that people looked at it and said "noooo..." Don't take it personally. It's jsut peopel being people.

On the other hand, I like to think I upload some gorgeous artwork that doesn't get nearly enough upvotes:

abstract_background amazon_parrot ambiguous_gender avian beak bird black_beak branch detailed_background feathered_wings feathers feral green_feathers hanging_by_feet hanging_from_branch leaves looking_back novawuff parrot perched portrait solo traditional_media_(artwork) upside_down wings yellow_eyes yellow_feathers

Score: 6
Date: January 26, 2018 ambiguous_gender aquatic_dragon armlet avian beak beard bird blue_eyes brown_hair brown_scales claws detailed_background dragon dripping facial_hair feathered_wings feathers feral fin group hair holding_object human leaning looking_back mammal membranous_wings moon mustache novawuff outside perched planet red_sky red_theme riding rock scales seagull sky staff standing surreal tail_feathers tail_ring tail_tuft tuft water webbed_feet wing_claws wings yellow_scales

Score: 10
Date: January 26, 2018 2016 ambiguous_gender aspeneyes brown_fur canine cherry_tree collie countershading detailed_background dog eyes_closed feral flower freckles fur mammal nature outside partially_submerged plant pond pose side_view smile solo standing water white_countershading

Score: 7
Date: January 23, 2018

It's just... the randomness of people. No statements about the quality of anything. Just randomness, honestly.

LaplaceLaw said:
Care to explain yourself?

No.

LaplaceLaw said:
The ironic thing is users like FoxFourOhFour and so many others are the primary culprits.

I've seen the type of rude, demeaning trap they say to other users and their art, and they never learn that they should try to lighten up and quit taking this stuff so seriously.

They go about like they own the site and shit on people constantly, and that's the biggest reason why I hate Fox and the people on here like him.

They think they're making this place better, but they aren't. Especially when they aren't even artists themselves.

Funny how your only examples point to a user who was banned for the exact sort of "Calling out" behavior you're pulling now. I'd drop this.

Ratte said:
Mediocre art with fringe fetishes (such as anal vore) will often get downvoted simply for being what it is. Votes play no role in deciding if something stays or goes.

So the more vanilla something is, the more likely it is to be upvoted?

fox_whisper85 said:

Honestly, yeah, at least from what I've seen. You have a higher chance of someone liking the same-ol' than you do someone liking macro/micro anal vore.

fox_whisper85 said:

Well, vanilla is better than chocolate. Or strawberry, or blueberry, or cookies & creme, or lemon curd...

SnowWolf
Former Staff
3 months ago

fox_whisper85 said:

Excluding animations, here are the top 10 most upvoted images on e621:

2012 armor big_butt bottomless bound butt carrying chain clothed clothing damsel_in_distress digitigrade dragon duo_focus female greyscale group hair hattonslayden helmet horn human humor knight male mammal melee_weapon mist monochrome nude princess raised_tail role_reversal royalty scalie shoulder_carry sword unfinished weapon

Score: 824
User: ippiki_ookami
Date: April 02, 2012
1-up 2015 anthro barefoot bed black_scales blue_eyes brown_eyes cacodemon claws crossover cute digitigrade doom female forked_tongue green_eyes half-closed_eyes hi_res long_tail looking_at_viewer lying mario_bros multicolored_scales mushroom nintendo nude on_bed on_side open_mouth plushie pokémon pokémon_(species) portal portal_(series) purple_scales reptile scales scalie sharp_claws slit_pupils snake snivy solo tongue tongue_out toy two_tone_scales vader-san valve video_games weighted_companion_cube zmia

Score: 582
User: chdgs
Date: August 09, 2015

Excluding animations, here are the top 10 most faved images on e621:

In short... yes!

Vanilla means wide appeal. Just about everyone will eat vanilla icecream, even if their favorite is Rocky Road or Strawberry. Even the most hardcore scat enthusiast can appreciate a nice butt. Vanilla is easy.

Vanilla's also hard because you've got a lot of other posts to compete with, but generally, yeah. Vanilla is appreciated by everyone.

Thanks for the knowledge guys! Really helps to figure out issues and solutions with you guys.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
3 months ago

Alexander_X said:
Thanks for the knowledge guys! Really helps to figure out issues and solutions with you guys.

Don't think of it so much as a problem that needs fixing, honestly. There's *nothing wrong* with what you're uploading. The majority of people might not like it, but the people who *are* into what you're posting? Appreciate it even more.

There's not a high score list, or a reddit-style karma score for most upvotes on pictures you upload.

Just share the content you want to share.

Alexander_X said:

Here's a rare case of somebody not just saying "I downvoted", but also explaining their action:
comment #3649851

SnowWolf said:
Excluding animations, here are the top 10 most upvoted images on e621:

2012 armor big_butt bottomless bound butt carrying chain clothed clothing damsel_in_distress digitigrade dragon duo_focus female greyscale group hair hattonslayden helmet horn human humor knight male mammal melee_weapon mist monochrome nude princess raised_tail role_reversal royalty scalie shoulder_carry sword unfinished weapon

Score: 824
User: ippiki_ookami
Date: April 02, 2012
1-up 2015 anthro barefoot bed black_scales blue_eyes brown_eyes cacodemon claws crossover cute digitigrade doom female forked_tongue green_eyes half-closed_eyes hi_res long_tail looking_at_viewer lying mario_bros multicolored_scales mushroom nintendo nude on_bed on_side open_mouth plushie pokémon pokémon_(species) portal portal_(series) purple_scales reptile scales scalie sharp_claws slit_pupils snake snivy solo tongue tongue_out toy two_tone_scales vader-san valve video_games weighted_companion_cube zmia

Score: 582
User: chdgs
Date: August 09, 2015

Excluding animations, here are the top 10 most faved images on e621:

In short... yes!

Vanilla means wide appeal. Just about everyone will eat vanilla icecream, even if their favorite is Rocky Road or Strawberry. Even the most hardcore scat enthusiast can appreciate a nice butt. Vanilla is easy.

Vanilla's also hard because you've got a lot of other posts to compete with, but generally, yeah. Vanilla is appreciated by everyone.

Damn, that's what I figured -_- I'll keep the more exotic stuff on my FA and ask that people not repost is on here. C'est la vie I suppose.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
3 months ago

fox_whisper85 said:
Damn, that's what I figured -_- I'll keep the more exotic stuff on my FA and ask that people not repost is on here. C'est la vie I suppose.

Naw, man. read my other post:

Don't think of it so much as a problem that needs fixing, honestly. There's *nothing wrong* with what you're uploading. The majority of people might not like it, but the people who *are* into what you're posting? Appreciate it even more.

There's not a high score list, or a reddit-style karma score for most upvotes on pictures you upload.

Just make sure you tag things right so that people can blacklist it AND people can search it out. People who are 'into' that art won't care about score. And they're the ones who'll come check out your gallery, and be most likely to ask for commissions etc.

Vanilla gets more views. Fetish content gets more devoted fans.

SnowWolf said:
Naw, man. read my other post:

Just make sure you tag things right so that people can blacklist it AND people can search it out. People who are 'into' that art won't care about score. And they're the ones who'll come check out your gallery, and be most likely to ask for commissions etc.

Vanilla gets more views. Fetish content gets more devoted fans.

Even when I do tag things correctly (and I try to the best I can) people still bloody downvote it out of spite. It really annoys me, almost makes me want to ask these people "Gee, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?" Ugh...!