Reducing the upload limit when an acceptable post is replaced seems unfair

In category: General

With the upload limit, it goes down with the amount of deleted posts. Anyways it seems unfair to lower your upload limit after posting a good photo that was replaced with a higher quality photo later. The lower post limit seems like a punishment, and you shouldn't be punished for things you often can't control.


It's not, and it doesn't really mater.
Unless you are uploading "good" photos all the time.


It's not a "good" photo if it gets deleted for being smaller.

E6 wants the best version available, so you'll need to know which site to get the best from (depending on the artist).

https://e926.net/wiki/show/howto:sites_and_sources


Is it really a good upload if someone has to replace it with a better version?


This thread title seems clickbaity


NotMeNotYou said:
Is it really a good upload if someone has to replace it with a better version?

Yes, because it doesn't imply laziness on part of the uploader. Sometimes higher res versions are deep in the internet.

Munkelzahn said:
This thread title seems clickbaity

I'm not exactly sure what else I could use for a title.


Dutchnoob said:
Yes, because it doesn't imply laziness on part of the uploader. Sometimes higher res versions are deep in the internet.
I'm not exactly sure what else I could use for a title.

Less emo, More context?


FoxFourOhFour said:
Less emo, More context?

Emo? What are you talking about? How about... "this seems to unfair im gonna slit my wrists and die" I'm kidding, but yeah.


Dutchnoob said:
Yes, because it doesn't imply laziness on part of the uploader. Sometimes higher res versions are deep in the internet.

Another person still has to put in effort and time to provide the better version, which by all means should have been uploaded in the first place. Without any approvals it still takes 40 deleted images until the limit reaches 0, if someone doesn't get the message to not upload inferior version after 40 deletions they deserve being barred from uploading.

Dutchnoob said:
I'm not exactly sure what else I could use for a title.

For example "Reducing the upload limit when an acceptable post is replaced seems unfair" would be a lot more descriptive and already give an idea about what is to be expected in the thread.


Dutchnoob said:
Sometimes higher res versions are deep in the internet.

All of your deleted duplicates (and one DNP post) look like they were FROM deep in the internet. 11 out of 12 deletions didn't even have a source or an artist tag when you uploaded them. The remaining deletion was a screencap.

Seeing as you've done the same thing with your most recent uploads, I won't be surprised if you are hit with more deletions very soon.

All of these deletions will be 100% your fault. Stop uploading from third-party websites.


Knotty_Curls said:
All of your deleted duplicates (and one DNP post) look like they were FROM deep in the internet. 11 out of 12 deletions didn't even have a source or an artist tag when you uploaded them. The remaining deletion was a screencap.

Seeing as you've done the same thing with your most recent uploads, I won't be surprised if you are hit with more deletions very soon.

All of these deletions will be 100% your fault. Stop uploading from third-party websites.

So what, quit uploading new pictures? They are legitimate pictures, I don't see the problem.


Dutchnoob said:
So what, quit uploading new pictures? They are legitimate pictures, I don't see the problem.

Don't post from third-party unofficial sites, most likely it would be resized and not of the original resolution posted by the artist.

Get your posts from the official source, find out which site the artist normally posts to and upload the ones from there.

Use this tool to see if a post already exists on the site, http://iqdb.harry.lu/
(Currently down for some reason)


the upload limit reduction is a way to force people to learn to post the best possible version.

Jugofthat
Privileged
6 months ago
2016 <3 ambiguous_gender anthro blonde_hair blush brown_hair cat clothed clothing covering cute english_text feline hair hands_behind_back humor lol_comments looking_at_viewer mammal multicolored_hair open_mouth pants powfooo powfooo_(character) reaction_image shirt shocked simple_background solo sweat tears text two_tone_hair white_background wide_eyed

Rating: Safe
Score: 170
User: Jugofthat
Date: June 04, 2016

Dutchnoob said:
So what, quit uploading new pictures? They are legitimate pictures, I don't see the problem.

No, try to get your pictures from (one of) the artists' personal galleries. Which isn't that hard, they're usually on FurAffinity, Inkbunny, Tumblr etc. Often just a Google search away.

Not only will you be able to properly source your uploads, but it also raises chances of them being the best versions available. Especially if you go to multiple sites and compare them. Takes a little more time that way, but saves you lots of deletions.

NotMeNotYou said:
Is it really a good upload if someone has to replace it with a better version?

To be fair, it could be a perfectly good quality upload, but then next week the artist posts an even higher-res version on a different gallery, and someone finds it and replaces yours. That's out of your control.


There are dozens of pages with bvats
I should just upload all of them over the holidays


Dutchnoob said:
So what, quit uploading new pictures? They are legitimate pictures, I don't see the problem.

As others have said, when you trip over a neat picture, go "wow!" and try to find that artist's gallery. When I do that, I try to upload several other things they've done too-- It always makes me sad to see an artist with only one or two posts to their name. :)

Remember that without artists, we wouldn't have any pictures here. So do the best you can to make things great for the artist--share good quality copies of their work, and try to tag artists and sources wherever you can :)

If you need any help with anything mentioned here, let me know and I can do my best to help out <3


I'm with OP. Whenever I upload something, it is usually taken directly from the source and sourced there as well. So it's very annoying and disheartening to see my upload count at 4 or some shit just because someone else found a better version MONTHS after I'd uploaded the best one I could find.

It isn't fair and I'd even vote to have this system removed.

But...I don't do much uploading on here anymore anyway BECAUSE of the limit, so it's cool. I'd much rather favorite and comment, so feel free to ignore me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


SilkywereRedux said:
I'm with OP. Whenever I upload something, it is usually taken directly from the source and sourced there as well. So it's very annoying and disheartening to see my upload count at 4 or some shit just because someone else found a better version MONTHS after I'd uploaded the best one I could find.

It isn't fair and I'd even vote to have this system removed.

But...I don't do much uploading on here anymore anyway BECAUSE of the limit, so it's cool. I'd much rather favorite and comment, so feel free to ignore me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

read this thread (notice that the method of obtaining the raw version on the first post is outdated) because it seems that you are unaware of tumblr's raw versions. 1280 version is usually the downscaled version while raw version is the full resolution version.

i recommend paying attention to forums more so you wont miss things like these in future.


Commander_Eggplant said:
read this thread (notice that the method of obtaining the raw version on the first post is outdated) because it seems that you are unaware of tumblr's raw versions. 1280 version is usually the downscaled version while raw version is the full resolution version.

im pretty sure that there was even post about this in the site news when people figured out about the raw version. so like. i recommend paying attention to forums and news more so you wont miss things like these in future.

Again, I rarely upload anymore, so I'm not surprised I missed that. I'll just comment and favorite, it's easier and there's no hassle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Just tried your method. It just gives me "there's nothing here" screen so?


SilkywereRedux said:
Again, I rarely upload anymore, so I'm not surprised I missed that. I'll just comment and favorite, it's easier and there's no hassle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Just tried your method. It just gives me "there's nothing here" screen so?

i have no idea what you tried to do because that "there's nothing here" page cannot come with direct image links. so here is step by step guide for how to get the raw version:

step 1: take direct image link
step 2: replace 78.media with s3.amazonaws.com/data and the number in end with raw

for example:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/4d5a15ed5e8bc411355697c6f1335012/tumblr_p4d3y4lPFF1r6790wo1_1280.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/4d5a15ed5e8bc411355697c6f1335012/tumblr_p4d3y4lPFF1r6790wo1_raw.png

this does not work with uploads made before december 2012 because thats when the raw versions were added to the site.


Commander_Eggplant said:
i have no idea what you tried to do because that "there's nothing here" page cannot come with direct image links. so here is step by step guide for how to get the raw version:

step 1: take direct image link
step 2: replace 78.media with s3.amazonaws.com/data and the number in end with raw

for example:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/4d5a15ed5e8bc411355697c6f1335012/tumblr_p4d3y4lPFF1r6790wo1_1280.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/4d5a15ed5e8bc411355697c6f1335012/tumblr_p4d3y4lPFF1r6790wo1_raw.png

this does not work with uploads made before december 2012 because thats when the raw versions were added to the site.

Noted. Moot point to me, but maybe some passerby will find it helpful :)


SilkywereRedux said:
I'm with OP. Whenever I upload something, it is usually taken directly from the source and sourced there as well. So it's very annoying and disheartening to see my upload count at 4 or some shit just because someone else found a better version MONTHS after I'd uploaded the best one I could find.

It isn't fair and I'd even vote to have this system removed.

But...I don't do much uploading on here anymore anyway BECAUSE of the limit, so it's cool. I'd much rather favorite and comment, so feel free to ignore me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SilkywereRedux said:
Again, I rarely upload anymore, so I'm not surprised I missed that. I'll just comment and favorite, it's easier and there's no hassle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Just tried your method. It just gives me "there's nothing here" screen so?

https://e926.net/wiki/show/howto:sites_and_sources#tumblr
Wiki page is much better, because it can be kept up to date and contain other websites. This was the problem with earlier forum thread explaining these things, because OP wasn't updating the page in any way.

Sometimes posts getting replaced is out of your hands. Artist can suddenly feel like they want to post their older stuff here at higher resolution and your upload will then get replaced. Sometimes simple fuck ups happen. This is why the upload limit is how it is, it's there to avoid someone from just registering and suddenly uploading bunch of stuff that are getting deleted but it will have some level of flexibility so that you aren't completely fucked over couple bad uploads.

That said admins do have power to raise your base limit. If the reason that your posts has been getting replaced is because superior versions have been uploaded, especially before the tumblr thing came into everyones attention, your upload count can be easily restored.

You can avoid this from being happening in the first place by getting best variation available (wiki link above) and if there are better versions available from your own posts, replacing them yourself (user:username better_version_at_source). Also "I wasn't going to upload anyway" is really tsundere way of telling about this issue.


Commander_Eggplant said:
read this thread (notice that the method of obtaining the raw version on the first post is outdated) because it seems that you are unaware of tumblr's raw versions. 1280 version is usually the downscaled version while raw version is the full resolution version.

i recommend paying attention to forums more so you wont miss things like these in future.

I edited that thread so people know to check the wiki page instead.


One more little thing I want to add: If an artist comes out with a higher resolution of a picture that they didn't allow to be previously available, uploaders should not be dinged for it here. That isn't a situation that's within their control.


SilkywereRedux said:
One more little thing I want to add: If an artist comes out with a higher resolution of a picture that they didn't allow to be previously available, uploaders should not be dinged for it here. That isn't a situation that's within their control.

well, there's two things here: either you're uploading enough images that the occasional higher res release isn't a big deal... or you're uploading one or two artist's work exclusively, therefor, you should know that they'll release a higher res version of the picture in a few days, and that you should wait.... unless they only do it sometimes, in which case, the occasional ding isn't a big deal.

See, cuz, this way lies madness.

The other day, I uploaded several images from an artist. (my source was medibang paint's art gallery. Medibang paint is an art program like sai or photoshop, and they have artist galleries and stuff.) After I finished, I went to go look at her other galleries to see if she had other art. I found her pixiv account and realized that everything uploaded to the medibang paint site was compressed and artifacty, small and gross. (ironic...) ... Well, that was my fault. I should have checked every source I could find before uploading.

My bad.

But is it a user's fault if they upload from fur affinity and the artist uploads larger copies to deviantart?

who knows.

But the occasional ding really shouldn't be a big deal.

The original poster has posted 52 posts, and 25 of them have been deleted. 17 of them were for being an 'inferior version'

I'm gonna pick some random ones:

First one is From InkBunny. Inkbunny has, below every image "set default image size: Small|medium|wide" and "download (new tab)"... so what's this mean?

Well, it means I get different images when right click and copy the image address, depending on what options I have:

Three of the iamges uploaded at the same time from teh same artist are the same width, so I suspect this is where the mistake was made.

my second random imges one is also from inkbunny. The resolution is the same as the oen that later replaced it, but the deleted copy was compressed: 1 MB vs 71.5KB -- and it looks it, yikes.

Third one is from deviant art. The 'better version' is 7.1MB, while his is 559.3 KB. double yikes.

Forth is from fur affinity... The image he uploaded was 1060x1506... the artist's original upload was 690x980. His vision was upsized.

So.

for him, at least, the case is that he's doing it wrong, rather than that the artist is uploading higher quality versions later.


SilkywereRedux said:
One more little thing I want to add: If an artist comes out with a higher resolution of a picture that they didn't allow to be previously available, uploaders should not be dinged for it here. That isn't a situation that's within their control.

You can push for this feature to be added, forum #209917.


Uh... know this been solved an all. But, happened to me? I have 20 deleted posts, not many right? Well I don't normally upload anything unless it's mine or something either I stumbled upon it and know e621 doesn't have it or I thought it was worth it.
Lots of the times, I am pulling the images straight off the artists main upload. Over time though, the mods or janitors seem to find better images, where? I have no farukin idea since my upload was the ONLY image available at the time.
So my post limits at 11. Don't plan on even getting past two in the foreseeable future so not a problem, but it's a little worrying that over time it will drop even further as other people pull better images that never existed out of their hats and replace my uploads with them...


Esme_Belles said:

▼ Click to collapse

Uh... know this been solved an all. But, happened to me? I have 20 deleted posts, not many right? Well I don't normally upload anything unless it's mine or something either I stumbled upon it and know e621 doesn't have it or I thought it was worth it.
Lots of the times, I am pulling the images straight off the artists main upload. Over time though, the mods or janitors seem to find better images, where? I have no farukin idea since my upload was the ONLY image available at the time.
So my post limits at 11. Don't plan on even getting past two in the foreseeable future so not a problem, but it's a little worrying that over time it will drop even further as other people pull better images that never existed out of their hats and replace my uploads with them...


I'm gonna go with your most recent one with this, but https://e926.net/post/show/280719 will suffice. The linked post has a 811 x 771 resolution. However, the source has a download link that pushes that to 1000 x 951 resolution. The BVAS tag was added in November, so at minimum it was added last year and at maximum it was added in 2013, since the source was uploaded December 2012. Your post was uploaded on 12/31/2012, or December 31st of 2012.

So, with your stated "pulling the images straight off the artist's main upload", you are either not getting the best version available or the artist is giving better versions available at a later date. For the latter, this is out of your power anyhow, the best you can do is keep an eye on your posts for whenever BVAS is added to them.

For your artwork, on the other hand, you merely need to make sure to not upload better versions elsewhere. The site does not care about who the uploader is (unless it's DNP), it cares for the best version publicly available; as an art archive, this is basically mandatory, you either upload the best or the best overrides your upload. If you choose to upload better versions, what you can do is manually replace the lower quality versions before it gets replaced. This mitigates some of the damage of a replaced post, you'll keep the # of uploaded posts the same while gaining a deleted post, over losing an uploaded post and gaining a deleted post.

I have no farukin idea since my upload was the ONLY image available at the time.

This would be exactly why they were deleted: at the time they were uploaded, they were either the best available image or you nabbed an inferior version of that 1 image. But with artists either loosening the reigns by uploading to different sites, or finding new ways to get better versions, old posts are inevitably offered at a better res or had a better res from the start that wasn't immediately accessible. You can't control either of these, but you can fix your posts before they're deleted.

Your observation, that your posts get replaced by newer ones despite being old and at it's best back then, is literally an effect of time: shit gets old, shit gets new, new shit replaces old shit, everything stinks up a storm.


Yep it's bullshit and actually incentivizes people to not post new art. I don't know why you're acting smug for pushing away users. There's a lot of art out there that don't get posted in e621. Even if it isn't the "best version", you ought to not get punished for posting it here and making it known. Otherwise, people won't bother posting it because it will just get deleted anyways. If it weren't there to begin with, your janitors wouldn't post your upscaled versions in the first place. Anyways fuck you


dextrous said:
Yep it's bullshit and actually incentivizes people to not post new art. I don't know why you're acting smug for pushing away users. There's a lot of art out there that don't get posted in e621. Even if it isn't the "best version", you ought to not get punished for posting it here and making it known. Otherwise, people won't bother posting it because it will just get deleted anyways. If it weren't there to begin with, your janitors wouldn't post your upscaled versions in the first place. Anyways fuck you

It doesn't even start to punish you until 4 deletions. If uploaders lose motivation because they refuse to learn the difference between third-party sites and original galleries, that's a personal problem. Make room for the source-savvy uploaders who are replacing everything.

I will never understand why some uploaders take it personally when we delete artwork they didn't make or commission. Over nearly a thousand uploads and 63 deletions, the only deletion that came close to bothering me was a single takedown. Someone adopted the character after my upload and took offense to it being here, despite my explicit permission from the artist to post. I was more bothered by their tone and entitlement than anything else, but hey, they did adopt the character.

That was something that I had no way of predicting or preventing. Sourcing, on the other hand, is entirely in the uploader's control. We even have guides for this (howto:source / howto:sites_and_sources).

Additionally, if your upload limit gets drastically reduced by a mass takedown or a replacement spree, you can ask us to restore your post limit. We judge these requests case by case, but we usually honor them.


Admin are pretty reasonable. I mean. if you've been uploading ArtyMcFurry's whole gallery, then suddenly, he, a month later, releases the 'complete uncut, HD ArtyMcFurry Collection' and suddenly EVERYTHING you've posted has a better version available, I'm pretty sure you could talk to someone about it and they'd be "wow, yeah, that sucks and is out of your control." and fix it for you.

The point is not to punish for things out of your control. The point is when you're on twitter and see that ButtsMcFurFace uploaded there, that you go "oh right, his FurArtSpace account is the best place to get his uploads, and run over there to grab the HD version, rather than the 500x600 version uploaded to twitter."

The point of posting, by the way, is not to bask in personal glory, but to show off good art and good artists to others. There's no high score for most comments or upvotes received, or even most uploads.