I would put up my downloader, but next to nobody uses Ubuntu, or knows how to install Bash for Windows. Plus, it's still a work in progress, adapted from my organizer program, Faux-Boxer.

Edit: I forgot that I have a windows version already up. If you want to give it a try, you'll need to run it from the command line, and there's no blacklist support.

https://github.com/Youboontoo/faux-boxer-downloader-win/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Extract everything into a folder, then double-click the .bat file. Follow the instructions to proceed with downloading. Still working on it, so please be patient with any bugs you might encounter.

tacklebox said:
Just wanted to update really quick and say everything went simply wonderful!
No issues, silky smooth and super fast, plus it barely even filled up my drive too!

Definitely feel like I should've made multiple directories like [muscular] and [pokemon], but I was sort of in a rush due to me panicking back then.
I might do it another day, but for now I definitely feel more relieved! I'll run it daily to keep my collection updated too~

Are you really sure you don't accept any donations? You pretty much just saved my life over here and I couldn't be more thankful.

Thanks for the update. Glad everything went well! You're the first person to tell me that it actually works as expected from the point of an end-user.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be accepting donations, at least for this project. All I did was wrap a bit of logic around the e621 API, and it was for myself foremost. I just decided to share it because what's the point of keeping something that could be useful to other people for only myself?

20-Shades-Of-Faux-Pa said:
Edit: I forgot that I have a windows version already up. If you want to give it a try, you'll need to run it from the command line, and there's no blacklist support.

https://github.com/Youboontoo/faux-boxer-downloader-win/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Extract everything into a folder, then double-click the .bat file. Follow the instructions to proceed with downloading. Still working on it, so please be patient with any bugs you might encounter.

Oh hey, did't realize you were Youboontoo on GitHub. I actually really like how simple this looks. I never bothered learning all of Microsoft's commands or PowerShell, so this could be really useful for someone who doesn't want to mess around with prerequisites (like python for my own program).

You can try setting up Hydrus (DL ). I think it's not remotely as user friendly or intuitive as it should be, but maybe in a year or two it will be the best tool for everyone. It can subscribe to multiple sites, rip chan threads, and act as a private (or public) booru. As it turned out, I don't quite care enough or need to use a program like that, but I can tell it suits people who want to screw around organizing and searching their media in an offline repository.

I highly recommend putting the .db files on an SSD or your fastest storage device to greatly quicken maintenance tasks, like the regular, automatic syncing with public repositories. Something that hadn't finished overnight that I had begun hours before falling asleep completed in an hour once I moved my .db files over.

I'll respond to this thread with another question: does there exist a downloader that can actually parse the tags of an image, and include those tags in the metadata of the image?

HarryBenson said:
I'll respond to this thread with another question: does there exist a downloader that can actually parse the tags of an image, and include those tags in the metadata of the image?

It's already difficult to add regular metadata like Author, Program Used and whatnot to PNG files, so I'd say no. But just because I say doesn't mean there aren't any.

I forgot that some pictures can save me thousands of words...

Album of Hydrus after setup, and some demo of basic operations. NSFW, cub, and there was an incidental shota human.

Hydrus also supports blacklisting and aliases and implications, because it's basically a private booru like I had said.

I believe the tags are stored in client.mappings.db, not directly as media metadata.

I have a complete archive of the site (all images and image metadata) and there's another website which copies all of e621's posts (anyone remember its address?). Some of the tags will be outdated as I don't constantly hit the site for updates. Instead I download about a day at a time, 5 seconds between pictures, within around 24 hours of an image being posted so any tag changes after that I miss. Originally I was going to make an AI to help with automatic tagging and I'll get to it someday...

If you're downloading just to make sure the content is never fully gone don't bother. I can release a torrent if Bad Dragon ever shutdowns and closes the site. It'll take you a long time to download the entire site without negatively effecting its performance.

I'm not saving the wiki or forum posts.

Wulfre said:
Sorry for the creepy 5 minutes after posting response, just happened to be lurking when you opened this tread, but here is my biased answer: my downloader. https://github.com/Wulfre/e621dl

Has blacklist support and was last updated today. If you need any extra features just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for that. I've been looking for something simple like this for awhile.

Gave this tool a bash and it is quite handy for bulk downloading images according to tags. I was wondering though if it might be possible to add in some additional capability to it, say creating sub-folders according to certain tags. I proposed this idea in another thread to have something that had the same functionality as the Furaffinity Extension add-on that is available for Google Chrome and Firefox (see link) https://e926.net/forum/show/250500.

What I want to be able to do is download images with the My Little Pony tag and filter them into subfolders according to the Character tag and if needs be into another subfolder for the Artist tag. Is this something that could be done with the tool as it currently is or do some modifications need to be made?

You, sir, are a genius. Thank you for the downloader!