I glad that this conversation is still somewhat active, even to this month. As a website as dynamic as ours, it's important that we have an open-ended conversation about something that in my honest opinion could drastically affect the way it works. Regardless of which side you stand closer to, I'm relieved to see that people are at least talking about it.

Sadly, talking doesn't mean much if you can't do something about it.

https://www.battleforthenet.com

What do I miss?

I'm not quite active on the Internet today, but I'm came back for a while to say this...

I'm not sure if Net Neutrality is saved or not, but even if their plan to save Net Neutrality does work, I don't think it's likely, and even if we did bring it back after the upcoming election, the damage is already done.

Still glad to see more good news, but that doesn't mean a happy ending for internet-goers.

Also, where's the truth. Fake news are everywhere and I'm confused to see which one is right and which one is wrong.

20-Shades-Of-Faux-Pa said:
I glad that this conversation is still somewhat active, even to this month. As a website as dynamic as ours, it's important that we have an open-ended conversation about something that in my honest opinion could drastically affect the way it works. Regardless of which side you stand closer to, I'm relieved to see that people are at least talking about it.

Silent.

Why no one notice this?!

Gotta bump because of this.

cerberusmod_3 said:
Why no one notice this?!

Summer vacations/exam period i guess.

Haljkljavahlibrz said:
Summer vacations/exam period i guess.

And yet, people here are still talking about something other than Net Neutrality. Like didn't they care?

If you are a lawyer, you have to be forming at the mouth. If the internet companies think this will allow them to simply abuse they're power, I suggest they dont try it.
This is also prime example of why you shouldnt allow political party loyalty to make you stupid. It's just got me thinking, any republican supporters who support Net Neutrality, wouldnt be too happy to know, Trump out of simple spite, removed Obama's 2015 internet protection law and even placed Ajit Pai as head of the FCC.

Jinx_Jackal said:
If you are a lawyer, you have to be forming at the mouth. If the internet companies think this will allow them to simply abuse they're power, I suggest they dont try it.
This is also prime example of why you shouldnt allow political party loyalty to make you stupid. It's just got me thinking, any republican supporters who support Net Neutrality, wouldnt be too happy to know, Trump out of simple spite, removed Obama's 2015 internet protection law and even placed Ajit Pai as head of the FCC.

Don't get why are people are still sucking up the Democrats more than the Republicans. Don't really get it. It's like they are slowly eating our independence to swear loyalty to either political party. What's with all the bias? What's with all the fake news? I can't trust anyone!

Also, today is the Net Neutrality's end, where the FCC won and we lost. We surrender because we're weak. We truly are losers. Say goodbye to the Internet as we know it, and even if it's brought back, the damages is done.

I expect mass suicides soon.

Also, my depressions isn't cured yet.

cerberusmod_3 said:
Don't get why are people are still sucking up the Democrats more than the Republicans. Don't really get it. It's like they are slowly eating our independence to swear loyalty to either political party. What's with all the bias? What's with all the fake news? I can't trust anyone!

Also, today is the Net Neutrality's end, where the FCC won and we lost. We surrender because we're weak. We truly are losers. Say goodbye to the Internet as we know it, and even if it's brought back, the damages is done.

I expect mass suicides soon.

Also, my depressions isn't cured yet.

Wait, you think that tomorrow you and a one-two billion people will wake up without the internet or something to that effect? Nonsense.

The vital parts that ensure the government, economy and services are running will be unthrottled. Throttled sites will be a bit slower but not glacially slow.

As for censorship, well, if Pence doesn't ascend to presidency or Trump is not influenced by social ultra-conservatives/fundamentalists, FA will probably shell out the $$$ for higher bandwidth (E621 as well). Otherwise, you my friend will get to experience the wonderful underground and secretive status that furry had in the early 90's.

As for the politics, everyone is corrupt in their own way and is looking out primarily for themselves, nothing new under the sun.

Haljkljavahlibrz said:
Wait, you think that tomorrow you and a one-two billion people will wake up without the internet or something to that effect? Nonsense.

The vital parts that ensure the government, economy and services are running will be unthrottled. Throttled sites will be a bit slower but not glacially slow.

As for censorship, well, if Pence doesn't ascend to presidency or Trump is not influenced by social ultra-conservatives/fundamentalists, FA will probably shell out the $$$ for higher bandwidth (E621 as well). Otherwise, you my friend will get to experience the wonderful underground and secretive status that furry had in the early 90's.

As for the politics, everyone is corrupt in their own way and is looking out primarily for themselves, nothing new under the sun.

Corruptions is nothing new, of course. Haven't realized that until today, when I finally realized that the U.S. is slowly dying like the Internet after the repeal.

What's not to like is that if some website is blocked, will it shut down? Will it come back?

Also, I'm not a furry, just here for kemono art.

cerberusmod_3 said:
I'm not a furry, just here for Kemono art.

you do realize that kemono is japanese equivalent for furry

Net neutrality repeal takes effect today. But the battle isn't over yet, we're just getting started.

NEW YORK (AP) — Your ability to watch and use your favorite apps and services could start to change — though not right away — following the official demise Monday of Obama-era internet protections.

Any changes are likely to happen slowly, as companies assess how much consumers will tolerate.

The repeal of “net neutrality” took effect six months after the Federal Communications Commission voted to undo the rules, which had barred broadband and cellphone companies from favoring their own services and discriminating against rivals such as Netflix.

Internet providers such as AT&T, Verizon and Comcast had to treat all traffic equally. They couldn’t slow down or block websites and apps of their choosing. Nor could they charge Netflix and other video services extra to reach viewers more smoothly. The rules also barred a broadband provider from, say, slowing down Amazon’s shopping site to extract business concessions.

The battle isn’t entirely over, though. Some states are moving to restore net neutrality, and lawsuits are pending. Also, the Senate voted to save net neutrality, though that effort isn’t likely to become law.

For now, broadband providers insist they won’t do anything that would harm the “internet experience” for consumers. Most currently have service terms that specify they won’t give preferential treatment to certain websites and services, including their own.

However, companies are likely to drop these self-imposed restrictions; they will just wait until people aren’t paying a lot of attention, said Marc Martin, a former FCC staffer who is now chairman of communications practice at the law firm Perkins Coie. Any changes now, while the spotlight is on net neutrality, could lead to a public relations backlash.

Companies are likely to start testing the boundaries over the next six months to a year. Expect to see more offers like AT&T’s exemption of its DirecTV Now streaming TV service from customers’ mobile data limits. Rival services like Sling TV and Netflix count video against data caps, essentially making them more expensive to watch.

More than 20 states sued the government to stop the repeal, as did the public-interest group Free Press and the think tank Open Technology Institute and Firefox browser maker Mozilla.

Washington and Oregon now have their own net neutrality laws, and a bill is pending in California’s legislature.

That’s another reason companies are likely to move slowly, at least at first.

Eggplant said:
you do realize that kemono is japanese equivalent for furry

I'll consider it distinct from furry.

Volphied said:
Net neutrality repeal takes effect today. But the battle isn't over yet, we're just getting started.

I think we can assume that fight is pretty much over. Despite our best effort, there is nothing we can do to stop the Net Neutrality's demise from happening. We have to accept that we lost and if we do fight, what's the point? Nothing. We good men did nothing. We are silent.

Our only way is to never forget about it.

My silence is mostly because I have already said everything I have to say. If you'd like I can reiterate some of my prior posts?

Yes, it sucks right now, but we're not going to instantly plow into darkness tomorrow.

This stuff was voted in by the FCC, revoking rules from a few years ago.

Net neutrality can, easily, return. When the chairman isn't in verizon's pocket.

Politics take time.

Legal proceedings take time.

life takes time.

Do not forget about net neutrality, but we really cna't expect things to be fixed over night.

Yelling "GAME OVER MAN" and "THE END IS NEIGH" doens't help anything or anyone.

Now's the time to wait. making noise is good, but do it in the right places--tell your congress peoples, vote for the right people, remind peopel to vote, learn about your candidates.

But right now, just yelling about it won't do anything. It'll be lost in a sea of other things going on in the real world. It won't stay like this forever. Just... breath for a while now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/net-neutrality-is-now-really-officially-dead-open-internet-congress-now-what/

SnowWolf said:
My silence is mostly because I have already said everything I have to say. If you'd like I can reiterate some of my prior posts?

Yes, it sucks right now, but we're not going to instantly plow into darkness tomorrow.

This stuff was voted in by the FCC, revoking rules from a few years ago.

Net neutrality can, easily, return. When the chairman isn't in verizon's pocket.

Politics take time.

Legal proceedings take time.

life takes time.

Do not forget about net neutrality, but we really cna't expect things to be fixed over night.

Yelling "GAME OVER MAN" and "THE END IS NEIGH" doens't help anything or anyone.

Now's the time to wait. making noise is good, but do it in the right places--tell your congress peoples, vote for the right people, remind peopel to vote, learn about your candidates.

But right now, just yelling about it won't do anything. It'll be lost in a sea of other things going on in the real world. It won't stay like this forever. Just... breath for a while now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/net-neutrality-is-now-really-officially-dead-open-internet-congress-now-what/

I'm not talking about you guys being silent. It's just that we are silent towards the public, mostly those who are unaware of the Net Neutrality thing. I'm afraid that people are starting to forget about it as time goes on.

Also, I was being pessimistic.

cerberusmod_3 said:
I'm not talking about you guys being silent. It's just that we are silent towards the public, mostly those who are unaware of the Net Neutrality thing. I'm afraid that people are starting to forget about it as time goes on.

Also, I was being pessimistic.

No they wont. It might die down a a little but thats why people need to keep talking. Another reminder to get out and VOTE, because as of now, there are a lot of people in power taking things away that make the playing field fair for the little guy.

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=618928905

Across the country, state officials have moved to keep net neutrality rules in place on their turf. According to the National Council of State Legislatures, governors in six states — New Jersey, New York, Montana, Rhode Island, Vermont and Hawaii — have signed executive orders upholding net neutrality, and three – Washington, Vermont and Oregon — have enacted legislation that does so. In January, attorneys general in 22 states and the District of Columbia filed a protective petition for review of the order.

Organizations that fought to preserve net neutrality say the battle isn't over.

"The gutting of net neutrality is a symbol of our broken democracy," Fight for the Future Deputy Director Evan Greer said in a statement. "But it has sparked an unprecedented backlash from across the political spectrum, and Internet users are coming out of the woodwork to fight tooth and nail in Congress, in the courts, and at the local and state level. ... The Internet is coming for net neutrality."

This thread relates to a political debate that is exclusively taking place in the United States.

And e621 is not the place to discuss this. It is even stated in the rules that politics should not be discussed here. Why isn't this thread locked?

I don't want this site to suffer the same fate as The SCP Foundation by subliminally implying that they take a specific political standpoint, which is COMPLETELY inappropriate for a website like this to do. By the admins allowing this thread to continue to be active, It confirms my suspicions.

The rules are reiterated in the first post. Net neutrality, censorship, and related legislation can all impact the site.

realandyisepic said:
It confirms my suspicions.

Big cringe, Mr. Holmes.

Lance_Armstrong said:
The rules are reiterated in the first post. Net neutrality, censorship, and related legislation can all impact the site.

Big cringe, Mr. Holmes.

I read the first post. But while you claim that it will impact the website, Net Neutrality is still an EXCLUSIVELY AMERICENTRIC POLITICAL topic, and it is something that shouldn't be brought up here.

We come here to fap. Not to push politics.

realandyisepic said:
I read the first post. But while you claim that it will impact the website, Net Neutrality is still an EXCLUSIVELY AMERICENTRIC POLITICAL topic, and it is something that shouldn't be brought up here.

This website happens to be hosted in America. Maybe, internet throttling can go both ways--The servers themselves can be denied access to the network by the company in charge of the region its at. That would cause it to effect other countries.

Furrin_Gok said:
This website happens to be hosted in America. Maybe, internet throttling can go both ways--The servers themselves can be denied access to the network by the company in charge of the region its at. That would cause it to effect other countries.

I have been on the internet for many years, and I have NEVER seen ANY of my ISPs deny access to ANY website, unlike what you are claiming right now. And this was BEFORE Net Neutrality was introduced.

And I live in the United States

realandyisepic said:

Actually, here in the forums, we're here to talk about the organization of the website, not fapping. And occasional off topic chatter. But mostly tags.

Anyway, you read the first post but not the thread itself.

Had you done so, you would have seen

• several people going off rails and becoming political--including...
  • users being warned about violating the no-politics rules. Including....
  • at least one person being banned because they could not keep the rules in mind.

Also, the website is hosted in America. American politics affect that.

SnowWolf said:
Actually, here in the forums, we're here to talk about the organization of the website, not fapping. And occasional off topic chatter. But mostly tags.

Anyway, you read the first post but not the thread itself.

Had you done so, you would have seen

• several people going off rails and becoming political--including...
  • users being warned about violating the no-politics rules. Including....
  • at least one person being banned because they could not keep the rules in mind.

Also, the website is hosted in America. American politics affect that.

But why is it that this thread is supposed to be about the organization of the website, yet the first post is blatant Pro-Net Neutrality propaganda? It even says this:

"We all have a duty to protect those rights. Send a comment. Tell F.C.C. chairman Ajit Pai that we won't take no as answer."

I see hypocrisy here.

In fact, fuck it. I know where is website is going. I know that IT WILL end up like the SCP Foundation.

realandyisepic said:
But why is it that this thread is supposed to be about the organization of the website, yet the first post is blatant Pro-Net Neutrality propaganda? It even says this:

"We all have a duty to protect those rights. Send a comment. Tell F.C.C. chairman Ajit Pai that we won't take no as answer."

I see hypocrisy here.

In fact, fuck it. I know where is website is going. I know that IT WILL end up like the SCP Foundation.

This particular politic will prevent users from using the site freely as they're meant to be able to. Of course the site is going to be against the change, it harms the userbase. Politics that have nothing to do with e621 are the ones the rule is for.

realandyisepic said:

I see hypocrisy here.

Do you... understand what net neutrality is?

Do you understand what those laws were put into place to prevent companies from doing?

Yes. We have a political opinion here because in the worst case scenario, our usage of this website may be hindered by this. Or it may not. We understand that Net neutrality is controversial for some, and we had several people, again, in this thread, arguing against net neutrality.

This is hardly a one sided argument in an echo chamber. This was a discussion.

Then you don't have to be here.

No, seriously. If you disagree with how we do things, you can go. No one is forcing you to be here.

also:

I have been on the internet for many years, and I have NEVER seen ANY of my ISPs deny access to ANY website, unlike what you are claiming right now. And this was BEFORE Net Neutrality was introduced.

Well, we've ALREADY discussed this in the thread, but I'll go back over some of the relevant information.

• An ISP in North Carolina decided to block Vonage from working on their network. Vonage is a VoIP service and effectively allowed you to have a cheap phone line over a broadband connection. Said ISP offered landline telephone service. Vonage was, then, direct competition, and the action resulted in all of the Vonage customers having paid for a service that they were incapable of recieving, through no fault of Vonage. This was in 2004.
  • In 2007, an social welfare nonprofit organization held a fundraising campain via text message. Every cellular provider gave the Okay, Except Verizon, which stated that they did not accept issue-oriented programs-- but DID allow for politicians to run fundraising campaigns.
  • Speaking of Verizon, in 2008, the FCC opened a large block of the radio spectrum to Verizon. They were required obey some rules, however, including not interfering with any software running on it's network. The company required users who wanted to use their phone as a hotspot--tethering-- to pay a fee. Supposedly this was for the people who used a large amount of data, but even people on 'unlimited' plans had to pay this fee. The violation, though, came when they pressured google to remove 3rd party tethering apps.
  • in 2012, AT&T blocked FaceTime from running on it's mobile network UNLESS you paid for and extra "Mobile Shared Data plan" (which required the "unlimited voice/text plan") ...
  • Comcast offers a pay per view TV service. Comcast decided to block peer-to-peer traffic. All of it. Not just the pirated movies, but, everyone. I dunno about you, but I had/have several games that updated via p2p. I know many people use bittorrent to distribute files that they own the copyright to (indie games, indie music, etc) ... when asked about it, the denied it until the proof was sitting in their face. Interestingly, this was one of the events that eventually lead to individual data caps... which means us tooo....
  • in 2008, Comcast put a 250 GB data cap for all users. A few years later, they made a streaming service for the Xbox. And all data streamed through their service would not cound towards said data cap. So: Any xbox owning comcast customer would have a whole lot of reason to use comcast's streaming service over netflix or an alternative.

Shall I continue? Have a few others: AT&T also tried to block skype and other VOIPS. MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except Youtube. in 2011-2013, ATT, Sprint and verizon all blocked access to google wallet because it competed with their stuff.

So. Sure. You, personally, have never had an issue with this. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. My dog's never bitten anyone, yet dogs bite people all the time. I don't do drugs, but the methhead down the street is not high on life.

Here, I found the full Net Neutrality document available to download on the FCC website. Can't believe no one has posted it yet.

Read ALL of it before responding.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-15-24A1_Rcd.pdf