Chaser said:
Most of the staff here is unpayed volunteers. :v

Oh I knew that ūüėÜ, I meant the people needed to create a whole new site as nobody is going to do that for free.

urxa
14 days ago
animated bittenhard blush caramelldansen cute dancing eyes_closed female feral low_res milotic nintendo open_mouth pokémon pokémon_(species) simple_background smile solo video_games

Rating: Safe
Score: 37
User: chdgs
Date: February 23, 2014

I love how simply reading this thread caused me to learn how to pirate things in a way that artists can't even DMCA. I'm also seeing people get blocked for stating the truth, and opinions that are soundly logical. It's just uncomfortable for the artists. Heh. Gratzy you gumbos. It's not like you somehow fixed the problem, you just moved it and increased the desire to ensure availability.

Surely you couldn't have predicted that though! It's not like this happens every time someone does this. Since copyright laws are stupidly overdrawn to prevent "loss of profit". "Loss of profit" is why the system is broken, you're just repeating the stupidity of our past. But hey, you do you. Make the best of what you have while you can.

urxa said:
I'm also seeing people get blocked for stating the truth, and opinions that are soundly logical.

I'd like to see your examples to backup your claim. Because only 4 of the 171 users (yes, I've wrote down every user) that has responded to this thread has been banned. One was banned due to being an ass with previous warnings, another was banned for reasons not relating to this thread, the other was ban evading, and the last one was just a troll.

ppss
14 days ago

This whole thread was a riot to read.

Who do I contact to get out of the negative upload limit? I just found my upload limit was -5 due to past uploads suddenly becoming dnp. I feel it's unfair that I'm punished for the rules suddenly changing.

Ledian
Privileged
14 days ago
2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

Score: 21
User: Commander_Eggplant
Date: September 20, 2017

Hiatuss said:
Who do I contact to get out of the negative upload limit? I just found my upload limit was -5 due to past uploads suddenly becoming dnp. I feel it's unfair that I'm punished for the rules suddenly changing.

Just send a messgae for any admin and they can bump it up to acceptable limits

So anything and everything from Patreon will be 100% DNP.
Since Patreon is Subscription based, so they will always be paid content, even if the artist gives out the art for free on other sites later.

I do believe something needs to be added for this to make better sense.
What about artist that goes give out their stuff for free later but don't delete it from Patreon? Will those still be allowed to be posted? Since technically, those pieces are still -paid- content from Patreon's side.

(I really hate Patreon, not because people use it, not because people need money. But the way of Subscription base for x value is a shitty system. Example I really want to support Zonkpunch and his animations, but I don't have 10+ USD to spend per month to support him.)

Also commissions is how majority of Artists get their money, that or streams where they draw art for commissions. Often it is the right of the commissioner if the art is to be allowed on sites like these. (Some use sites like these as a backup just in case they lose the original files)

I am sorry, but I see Patreon as a bad thing, many tell me I am wrong about it, but again, they don't see things from my view. I often get into the same argument when it comes to YT Red and Crunchyroll, often proving they are blind to what is happening, then they complain they have no money XD

Narji said:
Since Patreon is Subscription based, so they will always be paid content, even if the artist gives out the art for free on other sites later.

What about artist that goes give out their stuff for free later but don't delete it from Patreon? Will those still be allowed to be posted? Since technically, those pieces are still -paid- content from Patreon's side.

(I really hate Patreon, not because people use it, not because people need money. But the way of Subscription base for x value is a shitty system. Example I really want to support Zonkpunch and his animations, but I don't have 10+ USD to spend per month to support him.)

Also commissions is how majority of Artists get their money, that or streams where they draw art for commissions. Often it is the right of the commissioner if the art is to be allowed on sites like these. (Some use sites like these as a backup just in case they lose the original files)

I am sorry, but I see Patreon as a bad thing, many tell me I am wrong about it, but again, they don't see things from my view. I often get into the same argument when it comes to YT Red and Crunchyroll, often proving they are blind to what is happening, then they complain they have no money XD

Paid Patreon content is DNP. That is, content you are required to pay for in order to see. A lot of art is posted to Patreon viewable by the public, I'd even argue most of the Patreon content I've seen is public, or at least made publicly accessible after some amount of time. Anything that is publicly accessible from the artist's own pages, provided that the artist is not DNP, is still fine to post.

Commissioners are still required to abide by the same rules as other posters, and if they are posting content that is DNP, whether because what they purchased is paywalled on Patreon (or some other paysite) or because the artist is DNP, they have to provide us staff with proof that they have permission to post it here. If they can't get permission, the post is deleted as per the normal DNP guideline. Commissioners and character owners do not own the IP of the image and thus the rights to distribution are still the property of the artist, which is why this rule exists as it does.

I can't really help your opinions of subscription sites, but personally I see them as no different from a bill I have to pay for any other service, such as my phone.

Narji said:

I do like how the rule has been exactly the same almost since the beginning of the website, but when time gets extended from 2 years to infinity, suddenly everyone is confused. Paid material still means that it's content you as content uploader have to pay money to be able to see. As it is DNP, having explicit permission to post the content overrules the DNP, so if artist themselves post the content here or give written permission to post it here, it's more than welcome.
Same goes with patreon in general, it seems like every furry seems it as monthly subscription service when it's not that.

I do still believe that patreon works best when it's big crowd funding the thing and then the thing gets released publicly for absolutely free and I think that has been the core idea of them, as well as simply acting as tip jar and place for creators to put their content freely, but then again if someone uses it in some other way I can't exactly demand them to do things other way around.
Many artists do use sites like e-junkie and gumroad to also sell their stuff on top of having patreon.

So for example with Zonkpunch, they are releasing their content always freely after it's done. Only thing patreon is if you want to support them, want to have WIP files or care enough to have far higher resolution version of their animation. If I'm reading correctly, right now you need to pay $10 ONCE to get access to all of the stuff that has been released up to this point, which is insanely good deal as it also contains project files as well!
https://www.patreon.com/zonkpunch direct quote:

Hate artists who paywall?
Cockblocking is a serious crime, so my animations are absolutely free to enjoy - and no ads! But I provide early access perks as a way of giving back to my generous supporters!

So yeah, this is still just one of those missconseptions that patreon is somehow paywalling everything and every furry artist needs $50/month, when in reality all the content is already free and if you want to access WIP/HD/Source versions you usually need to pay once a small amount. Also their animations at 720p are already so large that you most likely couldn't upload 4K version here even if you had it.

Do remember that commissioners and artists have always had takedown system to use if they do not want their work or characters here in any way, so even free, non-patreon non-commissioned work could've been deleted for whatever reason the first party wants.

Ratte said:
Paid Patreon content is DNP. That is, content you are required to pay for in order to see. A lot of art is posted to Patreon viewable by the public, I'd even argue most of the Patreon content I've seen is public, or at least made publicly accessible after some amount of time. Anything that is publicly accessible from the artist's own pages, provided that the artist is not DNP, is still fine to post.

Commissioners are still required to abide by the same rules as other posters, and if they are posting content that is DNP, whether because what they purchased is paywalled on Patreon (or some other paysite) or because the artist is DNP, they have to provide us staff with proof that they have permission to post it here. If they can't get permission, the post is deleted as per the normal DNP guideline. Commissioners and character owners do not own the IP of the image and thus the rights to distribution are still the property of the artist, which is why this rule exists as it does.

I can't really help your opinions of subscription sites, but personally I see them as no different from a bill I have to pay for any other service, such as my phone.

Most have two different Patreons then, since most of it, once there is a subscription on the side, all content on the artist becomes not accessible for me.
I have yet to see any free art on Patreon :/

Though if I pay for a commission to be done, the artist is signing a contract to do that piece of art for me, and by that contract also states I become the owner of it. However I should respect the artist wishes, if they don't want their art here or posted on other sites like this one. However I am allowed to make a copy of the art piece, as long as I am not selling it. However, the artist is allowed to sell that commissioned piece, if I give allowance for it. Because I may not want this piece of art to be given to anyone else, so it becomes a line on agreements between commissioner and artist on what is allowed and not.

Well you pay for a service for your phone, but if they don't give you the service for 30 days, even if you paid the bill, by law, they should not bill you next month, as they did not give the service to you.
The biggest problems with subscription based systems, is when they don't have a clear service. Or when they deny the service to you. (Like Crunchyroll denies me to watch Anime, because I live in Europe, and they block VPN users so can't use that to bypass their shitty blocks either, so I am forced into going to 'illegal streaming sites' to watch anime which is a pain, since even there, I do want to support the creators of the animes that I watch.)

But less about that, since well that doesn't involve the rules.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if I got everything right:

Any paid content of art, animations, and so on, is Do not Post marked, till the artist, has made it available for free one way or another. Thus making the art, animation and so on, free to post here. Unless the Artist is DNP of course, but then the art shouldn't have been here in the start.

Conditional DNP is still an agreement, or stated by artist of approval to be posted, or posted by the artist themselves. Admins, Mods, (and janitors?) will require a proof of this being said or allowed to be accepted, or the post will be deleted just in case (As artists can be annoyed to file a takedown request multiple times).

So all in all, the time limit of 2 years have been removed (Even though I don't see a reason for it, as well 2 years after a piece have been made, many forget about it sadly :/).

Narji said:

Actually there are Patreon pages where the paywall is temporary and the incentive is seeing it sooner.

As for Crunchyroll, there are other sites that have the license to show the anime legally. I used to use Hulu for example.

Narji said:
Most have two different Patreons then, since most of it, once there is a subscription on the side, all content on the artist becomes not accessible for me.

Though if I pay for a commission to be done, the artist is signing a contract to do that piece of art for me, and by that contract also states I become the owner of it. However I should respect the artist wishes, if they don't want their art here or posted on other sites like this one. However I am allowed to make a copy of the art piece, as long as I am not selling it. However, the artist is allowed to sell that commissioned piece, if I give allowance for it. Because I may not want this piece of art to be given to anyone else, so it becomes a line on agreements between commissioner and artist on what is allowed and not.

Well you pay for a service for your phone, but if they don't give you the service for 30 days, even if you paid the bill, by law, they should not bill you next month, as they did not give the service to you.
The biggest problems with subscription based systems, is when they don't have a clear service. Or when they deny the service to you. (Like Crunchyroll denies me to watch Anime, because I live in Europe, and they block VPN users so can't use that to bypass their shitty blocks either, so I am forced into going to 'illegal streaming sites' to watch anime which is a pain, since even there, I do want to support the creators of the animes that I watch.)

But less about that, since well that doesn't involve the rules.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if I got everything right:

Any paid content of art, animations, and so on, is Do not Post marked, till the artist, has made it available for free one way or another. Thus making the art, animation and so on, free to post here. Unless the Artist is DNP of course, but then the art shouldn't have been here in the start.

Conditional DNP is still an agreement, or stated by artist of approval to be posted, or posted by the artist themselves. Admins, Mods, (and janitors?) will require a proof of this being said or allowed to be accepted, or the post will be deleted just in case (As artists can be annoyed to file a takedown request multiple times).

So all in all, the time limit of 2 years have been removed (Even though I don't see a reason for it, as well 2 years after a piece have been made, many forget about it sadly :/).

I have a Patreon. The only content I paywall indefinitely are sketches and WIPs. My finished work is paywalled for a few days, then publicly released afterward. Most people I see using Patreon do something like this. Emphasis on "most", obviously not everyone will do one thing or the other.

And no, that isn't how intellectual property works. If you pay me to make an image, you're paying for the labor and a copy. You do not own the intellectual property of the image, those rights remain with the artist. The exceptions to this are some kind of work-for-hire system (which is not what private commissions are) or company employment. It is up to the artist what to do with the work they create otherwise.

In order for me to get the service I want, I have to pay them. They don't give me service for free. That isn't how anything works. With Patreon the content is already there before you get there and you can end your subscription whenever you want. You aren't shackled to the site.

---

Yes, that is correct.

Conditional DNP is case by case. There is no hard definition for this that isn't in the title. The need for proof of permission is for normal DNP artists (not conditional DNP, unless it's part of their condition) so that commissioners and character owners can prove the artist has consented to the posting of the work, since artists are more likely to give leeway to commissioners/character owners to post work they would otherwise disallow.

In essence, yes, the only change was that the two-year clause is now indefinite.

Mario69 said:
I do like how the rule has been exactly the same almost since the beginning of the website, but when time gets extended from 2 years to infinity, suddenly everyone is confused. Paid material still means that it's content you as content uploader have to pay money to be able to see. As it is DNP, having explicit permission to post the content overrules the DNP, so if artist themselves post the content here or give written permission to post it here, it's more than welcome.
Same goes with patreon in general, it seems like every furry seems it as monthly subscription service when it's not that.

I do still believe that patreon works best when it's big crowd funding the thing and then the thing gets released publicly for absolutely free and I think that has been the core idea of them, as well as simply acting as tip jar and place for creators to put their content freely, but then again if someone uses it in some other way I can't exactly demand them to do things other way around.
Many artists do use sites like e-junkie and gumroad to also sell their stuff on top of having patreon.

So for example with Zonkpunch, they are releasing their content always freely after it's done. Only thing patreon is if you want to support them, want to have WIP files or care enough to have far higher resolution version of their animation. If I'm reading correctly, right now you need to pay $10 ONCE to get access to all of the stuff that has been released up to this point, which is insanely good deal as it also contains project files as well!
https://www.patreon.com/zonkpunch direct quote:
So yeah, this is still just one of those missconseptions that patreon is somehow paywalling everything and every furry artist needs $50/month, when in reality all the content is already free and if you want to access WIP/HD/Source versions you usually need to pay once a small amount. Also their animations at 720p are already so large that you most likely couldn't upload 4K version here even if you had it.

Do remember that commissioners and artists have always had takedown system to use if they do not want their work or characters here in any way, so even free, non-patreon non-commissioned work could've been deleted for whatever reason the first party wants.

Missconceptions?
Not really.
1) Majority of Zonkpunch stuff is not availalbe for free.

2) It is not a One time Pay of 10 USD. You have to be a "Generosity King" which is a 10 USD per month payment for the stuff. Otherwise, yeah not really many ways of getting it, since even on his website, he has a very selective few things there.

3) Everything on Patreon is behind a subscription fee, even the things he has for free on his own website. Mainly because of downloadable content of 720p and up. But even 360 is behind a subscription.

So no, it is not a pay once, he may hate cockblocking. But it does take away the part where if you stop paying that 10 USD, per month, all content on his Patreon becomes locked again, even the 5 USD ones, since you would be a 0 USD paying member then.

kamimatsu said:
Actually there are Patreon pages where the paywall is temporary and the incentive is seeing it sooner.

As for Crunchyroll, there are other sites that have the license to show the anime legally. I used to use Hulu for example.

Hulu blocks majority of non American countries from watching anything on it. So can't watch anything there, I can't even to go Funimations own website to watch stuff, heck they even blocked me from buying the DBZ DVD set (Both Censored and Uncensored versions).

Ratte said:
I have a Patreon. The only content I paywall indefinitely are sketches and WIPs. My finished work is paywalled for a few days, then publicly released afterward. Most people I see using Patreon do something like this. Emphasis on "most", obviously not everyone will do one thing or the other.

And no, that isn't how intellectual property works. If you pay me to make an image, you're paying for the labor and a copy. You do not own the intellectual property of the image, those rights remain with the artist. The exceptions to this are some kind of work-for-hire system (which is not what private commissions are) or company employment. It is up to the artist what to do with the work they create otherwise.

In order for me to get the service I want, I have to pay them. They don't give me service for free. That isn't how anything works. With Patreon the content is already there before you get there and you can end your subscription whenever you want. You aren't shackled to the site.

---

Yes, that is correct.

Conditional DNP is case by case. There is no hard definition for this that isn't in the title. The need for proof of permission is for normal DNP artists (not conditional DNP, unless it's part of their condition) so that commissioners and character owners can prove the artist has consented to the posting of the work, since artists are more likely to give leeway to commissioners/character owners to post work they would otherwise disallow.

In essence, yes, the only change was that the two-year clause is now indefinite.

What I meant with the service, imagine if you have paid for a service, but you never get that service, then they tell you to pay them again.
If you have paid for a service, you are entitled too get that service, if something goes wrong, lets say, the wires for the internet goes out, or a storm is f-ing up the wireless connection, that can't be helped, but they often try to fix that within a day or two. But if the internet is down for a whole month, which you paid for, then they should compensate for that.
(One example is when my internet was down for a whole week, I got a 20% off the next bill, because of it).

Well I guess a lot of old portolios will also be removed, as they used to be paid (Where as they can't be bought anylonger sadly if you ask me)

Narji said:
Hulu blocks majority of non American countries from watching anything on it. So can't watch anything there, I can't even to go Funimations own website to watch stuff, heck they even blocked me from buying the DBZ DVD set (Both Censored and Uncensored versions).

What I meant with the service, imagine if you have paid for a service, but you never get that service, then they tell you to pay them again.
If you have paid for a service, you are entitled too get that service, if something goes wrong, lets say, the wires for the internet goes out, or a storm is f-ing up the wireless connection, that can't be helped, but they often try to fix that within a day or two. But if the internet is down for a whole month, which you paid for, then they should compensate for that.
(One example is when my internet was down for a whole week, I got a 20% off the next bill, because of it).

Well I guess a lot of old portolios will also be removed, as they used to be paid (Where as they can't be bought anylonger sadly if you ask me)

If you never get the service, you can request a refund from the artist, but the content is generally still there before you even pledge. When you pledge to a person's Patreon, you unlock that content for viewing, it isn't just for future-only content. If something like that goes wrong, it honestly is not the artist's responsibility to compensate for that because it was not caused by something they did. If you actually talk to the artist and let them know, with some kind of evidence, they might hear you out. They're still people, after all.

Narji said:
Missconceptions?
Not really.
1) Majority of Zonkpunch stuff is not availalbe for free.

2) It is not a One time Pay of 10 USD. You have to be a "Generosity King" which is a 10 USD per month payment for the stuff. Otherwise, yeah not really many ways of getting it, since even on his website, he has a very selective few things there.

3) Everything on Patreon is behind a subscription fee, even the things he has for free on his own website. Mainly because of downloadable content of 720p and up. But even 360 is behind a subscription.

So no, it is not a pay once, he may hate cockblocking. But it does take away the part where if you stop paying that 10 USD, per month, all content on his Patreon becomes locked again, even the 5 USD ones, since you would be a 0 USD paying member then.

1. Can you give example of even single not free stuff by them?
2. It's $10/month, but you can always pledge for what amount of time you want and with zonks case, you'll get access to all content released for that tier in past and what will be released withing that month. I also switch my patreons I pledge to as I do want to support artists, but not with my whole paycheck.
3. With Zonks case this is because of Patreon guidelines. Explicit patreons has to be marked as such and all explicit content has to set to at least patrons only. However there are some who ignore this guideline and of course some artists keep their SFW artwork without tier and mainly SFW artists usually have their stuff freely viewable, biggest example that I see constantly is tom fischbach with 465 public posts and 55 posts requiring pledging.

Many artists do not share their WIP/HD/Source files at all! So in that sense that $10/month is essentially just full of "thank you" content, rather than paywalled content. What I mean by that is that it's content that they want to share with those who are supporting them as it's content that they most likely woudldn't have never shared regardless.

Pieguy_20 said:
Two things I'd like to toss out in the void of the internet here.

1: One word: Copyright. I fully understand this move and why you are making it. Saving your ass from the long cock of the law. It sucks to see so much stuff get deleted, but hey look on the bright side, we all can still get a butt ton of nice (and not so nice) pictures all conveniently packaged in one lovely blue site.

B: I don't want to pay for porn because I can find more than I'd ever need for free legally, so if the porn that is paid for gets taken down, I'm not really gonna notice or care and I'll not seek out their work (I won't premeditate seeking it out on sites that offer pictures for free. A lot of the pay to view stuff I've seen has not actually been searched for, but browsed through while I look for other, random stuff). This is for those artists who have ALL of their works pay to view. If they have a any amount for free but some to pay for, then that is smart on their part and there is still a chance (however small) that I might pay or comm their work. Oh well, no skin off my back.

This is essentiially how I feel. If they never post free art, I don't really care. There's so much free furry porn art on the internet it's hilarious that people actually got mad over thisr

ikdind said:
I mean, if I tried to post something that had been made public and found out that the same md5sum already exists and has been deleted, I would certainly start with a Dmail to an admin, mod, or janitor with the public URL and, if available, the md5sum and/or post ID that had been deleted.

I'm not really worried about that case, though, because most likely the publicly released image is going to have some form of compression applied to it (because posted to tumblr, FA, or something) that nudges the md5sum so it no longer matches previous postings.

As for works expiring copyright--- in the U.S., within our lifetimes, that's basically going to be "never". Assuming an average human lifetime of 80 years, assuming the average work is done by a 30-year-old artist, something produced today would be in copyright until 2137 (life of the artist plus 70 years).

I'm not really worried about that case, either, simply because it's well beyond any point where I expect to be alive.

I'm pretty unmoved by the rule too tbh, I still get to see plenty of free art. And the stuff that is behind paywalls will get posted eventually if luck is on my side, not that I follow any artists that hoard art behind paywalls anyway. Their uploads are fine for me. Paid art I'll never see doesn't affect me. fucking bars People who got mad over this just need to come to grips with reality or go back to pirating lol. Not like this is getting in their way, whining isn't gonna help. Grow a pair and stop taking the internet so personally. Good idea to start taking a good warm mug of "IDGAF" in the morning for all you pansies

I feel like there should be a few exceptions. The first one being the main reason why this rule was made in the first place; CD's and physical media with furry content being sold should definitely be an exception to this rule. You already made reasoning for the existence of this exception in the main post so I wont delve into it that much further. The second exception is if the artist is unable to gain from it any further, albeit he or she is dead, no longer creating artwork, in prison, in a coma, etc. If the artist is unable to benefit from the cost of viewing it, then it's an unnecessary paywall that hurts the consumer and does nothing for the supplier. I could possibly think of more examples where an exception would be acceptable, but it's to late and I'm too tired to think any more.

zaern
Blocked
10 days ago

for anyone wanting to use the old "piracy hurts profits" argument.

EU withheld a study that shows piracy doesn't hurt sales

and the study in question

i somehow doubt i'll see much stats or evidence to counter this.

zaern said:
for anyone wanting to use the old "piracy hurts profits" argument.

EU withheld a study that shows piracy doesn't hurt sales

and the study in question

i somehow doubt i'll see much stats or evidence to counter this.

That's great for corporations, but single artists just trying to make a name for themselves face a completely different set of hurdles and what applies to game devs, musicians, and movie studios (million-dollar industries that are for the most part not massively undervalued by people) may not apply to a single person selling static art, especially niche art like furry porn.

MoonlitSoul said:
That's great for corporations, but single artists just trying to make a name for themselves face a completely different set of hurdles and what applies to game devs, musicians, and movie studios (million-dollar industries that are for the most part not massively undervalued by people) may not apply to a single person selling static art, especially niche art like furry porn.

And also assuming that this means "piracy doesn't affect sales" is a bit of a leap from what the study actually demonstrates.

From what I saw, it shows that sales are on the rise in spite of piracy. That doesn't mean piracy has no effect. Crop yields are on the rise. That doesn't mean locusts don't damage crops.

Jfc this thread is a mess

I think there's a slight bit of overreacting going on. You're pulling ALL the paid content, even stuff you LITERALLY CANNOT BUY ANYMORE because it hasn't been made publicly accessible? Do you guys just talk about this for 2 minutes and ignore the guy who objected because he went against something you guys seem to be blindly defending without understanding any form of nuance?

^ If you read the thread you would know that your supposition is wrong -- it's been under discussion for a while now.

I'm not really sympathetic to this type of accusation as I see it in many different cases (eg. here, Gnome desktop environment, DCSS). The reality seems to be usually that the complainant didn't bother to pay attention to the discussion and is now complaining essentially because they have actively ensured their own ignorance.

The person asking 'Why did I not hear about this?' may not be malevolent, but it's hard to extend the same level of reasonable doubt to someone who presumes that they know what is going on rather than willingly admitting their ignorance.

Waba
9 days ago
2016 ambiguous_gender avian conditional_dnp cute day fakémon feathered_wings feathers feline feral fluffy flying mammal outside owten pawpads pokémon_uranium ratte red_eyes simple_background sky solo wings

User: NotMeNotYou
Date: August 18, 2016

BinaryHedgehog said:
I think there's a slight bit of overreacting going on. You're pulling ALL the paid content, even stuff you LITERALLY CANNOT BUY ANYMORE because it hasn't been made publicly accessible? Do you guys just talk about this for 2 minutes and ignore the guy who objected because he went against something you guys seem to be blindly defending without understanding any form of nuance?

The irony in your statement is hilarious.

Well, I don't know how to exactly respond to this. Although I personally feel that with commissioned work, the commissioner would have some rights, because they invested into the artist to get them to do the work. Of course, said rights are dependant on the artist in question - if they don't want art on here, the commissioners can't post it on here, period.

What I would say is that artists, and those who got permission from them to post certain images on here - including those who originally paid to have the work done - should be the only ones who can upload images. That way, there's less chance of DNPs being breached.

Ledian
Privileged
9 days ago
2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

User: Commander_Eggplant
Date: September 20, 2017

Lativee said:
Well, I don't know how to exactly respond to this. Although I personally feel that with commissioned work, the commissioner would have some rights, because they invested into the artist to get them to do the work. Of course, said rights are dependant on the artist in question - if they don't want art on here, the commissioners can't post it on here, period.

What I would say is that artists, and those who got permission from them to post certain images on here - including those who originally paid to have the work done - should be the only ones who can upload images. That way, there's less chance of DNPs being breached.

...what? this thread has nothing to do with commissions...?

Lativee said:

Would be a lot harder to enforce. One of those things that only works on paper.

Overall, I'm supportive of this. If the artists find that having unofficial "free" samples no longer be a thing causes issues, they can change how they distribute things themselves.

However, one thing I've seen mentioned a few times, but haven't actually seen addressed, is the situation of content that was never made public, but also can no longer be purchased. The artist disappears, it was only a physical medium that is no longer in production, etc.

I'd like to propose this definition of payed content:
"Pay content" is used to describe all pay-to-view and commercial works where either an admission fee, subscription fee, or a copy has to be, AND CAN BE, purchased in order to view it. This goes for both physical and digital products / works.

epsillon123 said:
Overall, I'm supportive of this. If the artists find that having unofficial "free" samples no longer be a thing causes issues, they can change how they distribute things themselves.

However, one thing I've seen mentioned a few times, but haven't actually seen addressed, is the situation of content that was never made public, but also can no longer be purchased. The artist disappears, it was only a physical medium that is no longer in production, etc.

I'd like to propose this definition of payed content:
"Pay content" is used to describe all pay-to-view and commercial works where either an admission fee, subscription fee, or a copy has to be, AND CAN BE, purchased in order to view it. This goes for both physical and digital products / works.

I've actually seen things where an artist requests that a certain piece never be reproduced at all, ever. Some sketches from animators for fans have a certificate of authenticity with that requirement. No taking pictures, no sharing online (though showing face to face is fine if no copy is made), no uploading anywhere, no photocopies, nothing but that original hardcopy is allowed.