What Scares You The Most?

In category: Off Topic

I'm working on writing a horror furry story on SoFurry, for Halloween! I'd like some ideas by hearing exactly what would be the scariest thing to happen to YOU in particular.

BlueDingo
Privileged
2 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

Going partially blind.

BlueDingo said:
Going partially blind.

That's a good one

only one thing scares me. helplessness

I suffer from occasional sleep paralysis. It's only bad whenever I'm in a deep state of it while dreaming. Red eyes floating, goblins, gargoyles, and all kinds of stuff mess with me sometimes. One night I "awoke" and a swarm of black birds came through the window and circulated in the ceiling.

The most frightening thing about it is, you're lying there helpless while all these things are occurring. You're asleep, but awake at the same time. And generally the things that attack, or taunt you, are still there when you fully awake.

MrKranberryJam69 said:
I suffer from occasional sleep paralysis. It's only bad whenever I'm in a deep state of it while dreaming. Red eyes floating, goblins, gargoyles, and all kinds of stuff mess with me sometimes. One night I "awoke" and a swarm of black birds came through the window and circulated in the ceiling.

The most frightening thing about it is, you're lying there helpless while all these things are occurring. You're asleep, but awake at the same time. And generally the things that attack, or taunt you, are still there when you fully awake.

Reminds me of my nightmare last night. I had this dream I was on the 8th floor of an abandoned building, and I was balancing around floors that were falling apart, while a bunch of shadowy men ran at me. I had to use a crowbar to clunk them all on the head and knock them down through the several breaking metal floors. Then a bunch of people with identifiable features started to float after me with these creepy smiles on their faces and then I couldn't do anything about that, because they were already dead. So I woke up terrified and started running around the house because I could still see them.

Lance_Armstrong said:
https://www.usada.org/

Lance_Armstrong said:
https://www.usada.org/

I'm extremely confused. Are you with or against steroids being used in competitions? Because either way, I'm indifferent.

Heteroxon said:
I'm extremely confused. Are you with or against steroids being used in competitions? Because either way, I'm indifferent.

you must be at least 18+ to use this site.

serious answer: Lance Armstrong was a professional bicyclist who was busted for drug abuse, and as a result had every one of his accolades stripped with his career dead overnight. the janitor's username is based off the real-world individual, who is understandably a little upset over the whole affair.

fewrahuxo said:
you must be at least 18+ to use this site.

serious answer: Lance Armstrong was a professional bicyclist who was busted for drug abuse, and as a result had every one of his accolades stripped with his career dead overnight. the janitor's username is based off the real-world individual, who is understandably a little upset over the whole affair.

(I'm 22 Years of age btw)
I never really got into sports, so I'm just not aware of that situation. I was just making the best guess I could. Sorry if I had offended anyone somehow... But yeah, I can see how lots of people losing their jobs overnight would pose as a problem.

I'm terrified of posts asking what my greatest fear is.

Honestly, any fears I have are relatively mundane. Public speaking, heights, cases of sudden death poisoning, etc. If it were me, I'd just pick a generic and semi-cliché setting and/or monster. Like a haunted house, a dark alleyway while walking home from work, or even a character's own home. The antagonist could be a ghost, werewolf, Eldritch abomination, or common serial killer. Just put a unique spin on it. But that's me, what will you do?

that my -1 favorites count will fix itself and strip me of the only individuality i have on this website.

fewrahuxo said:
that my -1 favorites count will fix itself and strip me of the only individuality i have on this website.

Oh. =O.o=

The thought of dying alone.

Grevus said:

never understood that even a little. canines leave their family when critically wounded to die alone. i'm the same way, i'd absolutely despise dying around someone other than a nurse

notawerewolf said:
never understood that even a little. canines leave their family when critically wounded to die alone. i'm the same way, i'd absolutely despise dying around someone other than a nurse

I do not mean so much as dying in solitude, more of a fear of not being remembered.

The thought of losing someone close to me.

Grevus said:
I do not mean so much as dying in solitude, more of a fear of not being remembered.

ah, i also don't get that either haha. i'd pay not to be famous and to be forgotten

Dusk_To_Dawn said:

now that i definitely can relate to

Grevus said:

Dusk_To_Dawn said:

darn, i would have said spiders.

Being chased by pissed off people that want to harm you

BlueDingo said:
Going partially blind.

i did that back when i had that eye injury. tbh, it's actually not so bad if you take things slow and steady. but then again, among the numerous things i like to practice, one good result is i can somewhat see with my hands. or rather, they can see for me.

bit of an odd technique to learn but it's helpful.

as for what scares me the most. i would say darkness but more so than that would be a clown by the name of pennywise. yeah, seeing that movie when i was a kid wasn't a good idea and that thing huants my mind to this day. and oddly enough, it's just that one character. clowns or jesters in general don't really scare me (though i do think the circus clown variety are freaks), just that one.

and as a result, i tend to be mildly paranoid of my surroundings, especially at night for it is not the darkness itself that frightens me but rather what lurks within the darkness. and a slight fear of the unknown probably.

i think the only time my fears have affected me in a video game was in minecraft. for some reason the very thought of entering that portal leading to the "the end" map terrifies me and once on that map i have an overwhelming desire to either close the game on the spot or leave that area ASAP no matter what. something about that part of the game just doesn't sit right with me at all.

treos said:
i think the only time my fears have affected me in a video game was in minecraft. for some reason the very thought of entering that portal leading to the "the end" map terrifies me and once on that map i have an overwhelming desire to either close the game on the spot or leave that area ASAP no matter what. something about that part of the game just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Creepypasta material.

treos said:
as for what scares me the most. i would say darkness...

and as a result, i tend to be mildly paranoid of my surroundings, especially at night for it is not the darkness itself that frightens me but rather what lurks within the darkness. and a slight fear of the unknown probably.

Most people have that as an evolutionary imprint. Humans rely very heavily on their sense of sight and, unfortunately, we dont see very well in low-light environments. So, when deprived of our most vital source of information, our minds almost always create phantom threats in the dark.

Personally, I love the dark, but with the right ambience (such as purposely unsettling music and being alone in an already unfamiliar place) I can enter a state of mild hypervigilance as well.

In short, being alone in the dark is often a terrifying experience for most people.

Are we talking fairly realistic possibilities, or somewhat fantastic things?

• In the former case:
    • Any muscle in my body could randomly twitch at any time. Think "All of the tics. All of them."

In the latter case:

• The epidermis of my skin entirely turning into spiders
    • (this would also be potentially fatal in time, as it would be a huge risk of infection)
    • Being stuck in a Groundhog-style time loop of very short duration; about 10 seconds, say (too short to actually do anything interesting)

This. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrodysplasia_ossificans_progressiva
    Just the thought of living in agony while your muscles slowly turn to bone is horrific. Thankfully, it’s incredibly rare, but I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.

Knowing that one day all the stars will eventually burn out and everything in the Universe will fade into eternal darkness.

Dying.

TheGreatWolfgang said:
    Knowing that one day all the stars will eventually burn out and everything in the Universe will fade into eternal darkness.

if we're selling tickets to return everything to the cradle of the void i'll take two

Overbearing brightness. Sometimes it's better to see nothing than to see things that you aren't sure what they are, which is what such brightness would do. You can only see things moving around, and as your eyes try to focus in on it, your other senses aren't focusing themselves like they would in darkness.

UnusualParadox said:
    Creepypasta material.

Most people have that as an evolutionary imprint. Humans rely very heavily on their sense of sight and, unfortunately, we dont see very well in low-light environments. So, when deprived of our most vital source of information, our minds almost always create phantom threats in the dark.

Personally, I love the dark, but with the right ambience (such as purposely unsettling music and being alone in an already unfamiliar place) I can enter a state of mild hypervigilance as well.

In short, being alone in the dark is often a terrifying experience for most people.

yep, that sounds like a pretty good description of what it's like. not so much a fear of the dark as it is what's in the darkness...or rather, what the mind thinks is in the darkness.

like, when i go to the kitchen at night for a snack and/or drink, my aunt & uncles bedroom is on the opposite side of the kitchen and (while they typically leave a lamp on in the living room for me) they leave the door cracked so the dogs can go in and out without waking them up. that means while the kitchen and living room aren't totally dark, their room is and while i know there's nothing bad in there...the mind says otherwise. which leads to me being paranoid while near that door at night and wanting to just get what i came for and run back to my room at the opposite side of the house.

i know there's nothing bad in that room when it's dark like that but i simply can't help myself but be afraid for no good reason.

BlueDingo
    Privileged
    2 months ago
    2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

treos said:
    yep, that sounds like a pretty good description of what it's like. not so much a fear of the dark as it is what's in the darkness...or rather, what the mind thinks is in the darkness.

Fear of the unknown. It's hard to prepare for something you can't detect.

SharkFetish said:
    Dying.

Don't knock it until you try it. It's actually quite liberating.

On a more exotic level I'd say being trapped in a no-man's-land between reality unreality, like some sort of shadow-realm where I can partly see the world but have no power to make anyone see or hear me.
    Not being able to pass into this world, being forever in a form of limbo between this world and the next sort of thing.