Retro talk/ Retro stuff you might never heard of

In category: Off Topic

Ever heard of Werebears?
and I'm not talking about the fantasy fictional creature

But a old 80's-90's toy plus doll,
that seems to be a boys version of the Care Bears.

http://www.werebears.com/the-story
http://www.werebears.com/fun-stuff-comics
https://youtu.be/orU5mpppzh4 toy commercials and etc

It seems it never took off?
or at least gotten more popular.
I kinda miss Monsters in my Pocket.
and no it isn't a pokemon clone
or a naughty euphemism.

it's nice that some people are willing to upload a comic like that. and i noticed it says "issue 2 coming soon". i assume we could expect to see more issues added there over time.

there's actually a comic series i've always wanted to see/read but no matter how much i looked off and on over the years, it never came up. i'm talking about the comic series the Chakan the Forever Man video games were based on. :/ maybe i just don't know a good site/source for reading such comics online.

guess i could always buy them >.> at $10 each i'm certain that series would be well worth the money. 21 books and counting...

well, guess i can spend some on that when i can afford it. it'd be cheaper than video games, that's for sure.

stalkerd said:
https://youtu.be/orU5mpppzh4 toy commercials and etc

That first ad would not be permissible today.
A boy scares a girl with his teddy bear.
The girl has braids and a doll with braids.
Stereotypes! Misogyny! Toxic Masculinity!

Second ad:
"Something's happened in WerebearLand, an evil witch's got out of hand"
More misogyny!

Also, no People of Pigmentation in these clips.

Munkelzahn said:
That first ad would not be permissible today.
A boy scares a girl with his teddy bear.
The girl has braids and a doll with braids.
Stereotypes! Misogyny! Toxic Masculinity!

Second ad:
"Something's happened in WerebearLand, an evil witch's got out of hand"
More misogyny!

Also, no People of Pigmentation in these clips.

It was the 80's and 90's very silly times
some of it didn't age well, but aged well enough
it's so bad, we play it for laughs today.

I like the toy idea but yeah I hate the stereotypical cliche boy and girls thing.

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 26
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

stalkerd said:
It was the 80's and 90's very silly times

They were fun times when things like Telestubbies were allowed to be a thing.

treos said:
it's nice that some people are willing to upload a comic like that. and i noticed it says "issue 2 coming soon". i assume we could expect to see more issues added there over time.

there's actually a comic series i've always wanted to see/read but no matter how much i looked off and on over the years, it never came up. i'm talking about the comic series the Chakan the Forever Man video games were based on. :/ maybe i just don't know a good site/source for reading such comics online.

guess i could always buy them >.> at $10 each i'm certain that series would be well worth the money. 21 books and counting...

well, guess i can spend some on that when i can afford it. it'd be cheaper than video games, that's for sure.

I don't know if they are gonna post more comics i hope they do.
as it seems like those werebear comics are super rare and theres like 8? issues.

Chakan the Forever Man ? I remeber that game but never own it
it did looked cool, kinda reminds me of Shadow Man.
and yeah finding old comics are hard to find
harder if it was a obscure, under-rated, or just forgotten comic.

Gak, who had it?

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

TheHuskyK9 said:
Gak, who had it?

I did. Lots of gooey fun... until it gets all contaminated with dirt and hair.

Anyone have Better Blocks?

The most obscure and retro thing I can remember was the TRS-80 (Trash-80 as it was known) my father bought one Christmas "for the family". It cost like $600 and weighed nearly 100 pounds...we had nowhere to put it, so it sat on the kitchen table for months before making it to the garage where it sat for the next few years...used only a dozen times. lol

stalkerd said:
I don't if they are gonna post more comics i hope they do.
as it seems like those werebear comics are super rare and theres like 8? issues.

Chakan the Forever Man ? I remeber that game but never own it
it did looked cool, kinda reminds me of Shadow Man.
and yeah finding old comics are hard to find
harder if it was a obscure, under-rated, or just forgotten comic.

it's a pretty good platformer. hard and it's possible to get stuck if you don't the first 4 stages in the right order to get all the weapons. you could say, it was the dark souls of the sega genesis. infinite lives (playing into Chakan's immortality after death tricked him) except for the final boss. you reach the final boss which is this weird alien thing and you only get one shot at it. you lose and it's game over, you win and it sends you to the hour glass screen which iirc DOES have some text if you wait like 30 minutes or so.

as for the comic...i dunno. it must be pretty rare cause i've never seen it online aside from that one site where you can buy it from. and that's even counting torrents. plenty of fan art and other stuff but none of the comics.

TheHuskyK9 said:
Gak, who had it?

meh, think i'd rather playing around with ooblek some. ooblek is quite the interesting...substance er...material? it's not quite a liquid or solid. well, not unless you put it under a hydraulic crusher and crush the water out of it. then it turns back into a solid.

I wouldn't say "remember" as the computer died before I was born, but the series of commodore family computers, not to be confuse with personal computers. WinVICE is great, but I'd love to know the real thing one day. It can't be rose tinted nostalgia because I didn't exist and my nostalgia lenses are tinted jade. I just love older computers. But everyone knows the C64. What about the PET?

I have a hard time remembering most of my "retro stuff", let alone the more obscure stuff, because I thought 95% of it was junk then. I wanted functional stuff that could live up to their commercials' hype without needing "make-believe".

I had something like the VTech Little Talking Scholar, an educational handheld device that used cards to ask questions. I also remember having something similar that used discs and might have been book-shaped, but I don't want to look that up too. The VTech was hard to identify as is.

We had a few edutainment computer games that I liked. The Amazon Trail was such a terrific and highly memorable game. There was another one where, among other stuff, you're in an art museum and have to find specific paintings once given a simple description. All the paintings and other artifacts in that game were famous or historically significant, and I'm sure I've seen a few of them in person like The Old Guitarist and Time Transfixed. In particular, I think we got stuck on finding The Starry Night for many days because we didn't know that we could inspect paintings that were only partially shown (I swear some were 80% cut off).

I can't remember if it was part of the art game too, but I distinctly remember a game where you have to mix drinks (taught fractions) in exchange for information/clues and rearrange and stack boxes of different sizes to escape a warehouse, IIRC. My dad did the harder levels for me lol. Too frustrating.

BlueDingo said:

the horror, the horror.

TheHuskyK9 said:
Gak, who had it?

My friend did and on his hair lol
and gum doesn't fix it lol

Pasiphaë said:
The most obscure and retro thing I can remember was the TRS-80 (Trash-80 as it was known) my father bought one Christmas "for the family". It cost like $600 and weighed nearly 100 pounds...we had nowhere to put it, so it sat on the kitchen table for months before making it to the garage where it sat for the next few years...used only a dozen times. lol

I never saw one of those
only think I remember was my first pc game
it was all green screen and polygon lines of a "3d" tank game
very old game

treos said:
it's a pretty good platformer. hard and it's possible to get stuck if you don't the first 4 stages in the right order to get all the weapons. you could say, it was the dark souls of the sega genesis. infinite lives (playing into Chakan's immortality after death tricked him) except for the final boss. you reach the final boss which is this weird alien thing and you only get one shot at it. you lose and it's game over, you win and it sends you to the hour glass screen which iirc DOES have some text if you wait like 30 minutes or so.

as for the comic...i dunno. it must be pretty rare cause i've never seen it online aside from that one site where you can buy it from. and that's even counting torrents. plenty of fan art and other stuff but none of the comics.

meh, think i'd rather playing around with ooblek some. ooblek is quite the interesting...substance er...material? it's not quite a liquid or solid. well, not unless you put it under a hydraulic crusher and crush the water out of it. then it turns back into a solid.

Ah funny becuase was every 80's and 90's game was like Dark Souls?
being unfair and you need to get good hard core on it? XD

Yeah getting a forgotten obscure comic is hard
if it was something more popular it might get posted by the fans

kinda like the Biker Mice From Mars comic book publish by Marvel?
ha I kinda like to see a Modern Marvel Biker Mice Comic today.

BlueDingo said:
2-XL

I never had that toy, but A friend of mine did
it was cool at the time

I got the Disney's read along red books that came with a Audio tape
anyone Remember those?

abadbird said:
I have a hard time remembering most of my "retro stuff", let alone the more obscure stuff, because I thought 95% of it was junk then. I wanted functional stuff that could live up to their commercials' hype without needing "make-believe".

I had something like the VTech Little Talking Scholar, an educational handheld device that used cards to ask questions. I also remember having something similar that used discs and might have been book-shaped, but I don't want to look that up too. The VTech was hard to identify as is.

We had a few edutainment computer games that I liked. The Amazon Trail was such a terrific and highly memorable game. There was another one where, among other stuff, you're in an art museum and have to find specific paintings once given a simple description. All the paintings and other artifacts in that game were famous or historically significant, and I'm sure I've seen a few of them in person like The Old Guitarist and Time Transfixed. In particular, I think we got stuck on finding The Starry Night for many days because we didn't know that we could inspect paintings that were only partially shown (I swear some were 80% cut off).

I can't remember if it was part of the art game too, but I distinctly remember a game where you have to mix drinks (taught fractions) in exchange for information/clues and rearrange and stack boxes of different sizes to escape a warehouse, IIRC. My dad did the harder levels for me lol. Too frustrating.

Oh! And for my single-digit years, jumpstart and the blaster series.

well, that's 1 of those Chakan comics (graphic novels?) purchased. hopefully i'll be able to get the others over time.

stalkerd said:
Ah funny becuase was every 80's and 90's game was like Dark Souls?
being unfair and you need to get good hard core on it? XD

no... actually, chakan might be the game closest in design to dark souls out of that generation of games. there were tons of other hard(er) games out there but none quite like chakan iirc. other high difficulty games out there wouldn't give you infinite lives from the start or send you back to a hub zone when you died. well, there's mega man of course but that lacked the infinite lives aspect.

plus chakan had a pretty unique art style too.

tbh, while i do like Chakan the Forever Man, i'd rather play through Phantom 2040 if given a choice between the 2. Phantom is a pretty large platformer game with a bunch of different branching story paths and endings (the best ending requires you to make a specific set of choices through the story of course) and final bosses. overall a great genesis game and they even made a cartoon series based on it in the 90's which can be found on youtube and other sites these days.

Yeah getting a forgotten obscure comic is hard
if it was something more popular it might get posted by the fans

kinda like the Biker Mice From Mars comic book publish by Marvel?
ha I kinda like to see a Modern Marvel Biker Mice Comic today.

that might be easier to find as it's related to marvel but then again, what do i know?

Also, the Gameboy Color, who had it?

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago

TheHuskyK9 said:

Me, but mine was cracked then stolen. At least I had a Game Boy Pocket to fall back to.

TheHuskyK9 said:

I did. I think I had the original Game Boy too. I eventually bought a used (and potentially ill-gotten) GBA too. Only owned Pokemon games. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, probably Silver, and Trading Card Game, and I beat them all. I had Yellow for about a year, but I didn't want to play it because I thought the idea behind it was stupid. I thought it was just a "reskin" where your starter had to be Pikachu, but I found out I was very wrong once I did pick it up out of boredom.

I also had guides for Red and Blue and Gold and Silver, maybe the Yellow guide too. -it was at this point I actually decided to look through what I still have, which is still some good loot. I have the Prima Red guide, the official Player's Red, Blue, and Yellow guide, and both the Prima Gold and Silver guide and Nintendo's Gold and Silver guide. I have some other guides and a healthy stack (i.e., 1000-3000 pages?) of various game info printed from mostly Gamefaqs 10+ years ago.

I didn't need guides, but they helped me 100% games and got me much more into them than I would have been otherwise. Guides + GameSharks (GBC, PS1, PS2) gave me the best possible experiences, usually with a heavy cheat run the second time through. Obviously, this was before my boredom with reruns took hold that I mentioned elsewhere.

I have everything that matters to me except my bag of Pokemon games and GBA, which is odd because I cared enough to take my GBC with no games. Lost somewhere. I could take pictures of all that stuff if someone wants, but it's mostly old game systems, cases, and accessories. Almost everything in my "game library" is 10 or more years old.

This should be the most coveted old thing I ever had and still have.

I didn't mention any of this before because none of it was retro or obscure for me, except maybe the GameSharks.

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago

abadbird said:
I also had guides for Red and Blue and Gold and Silver, maybe the Yellow guide too. -it was at this point I actually decided to look through what I still have, which is still some good loot. I have the Prima Red guide, the official Player's Red, Blue, and Yellow guide, and both the Prima Gold and Silver guide and Nintendo's Gold and Silver guide. I have some other guides and a healthy stack (i.e., 1000-3000 pages?) of various game info printed from mostly Gamefaqs 10+ years ago.

Game guides. There's a useful relic most people don't miss thanks to the internet. Then again, Gamefaqs walkthroughs usually don't have pretty little pictures to look at and you can't bludgeon people with them.

treos said:
well, that's 1 of those Chakan comics (graphic novels?) purchased. hopefully i'll be able to get the others over time.

no... actually, chakan might be the game closest in design to dark souls out of that generation of games. there were tons of other hard(er) games out there but none quite like chakan iirc. other high difficulty games out there wouldn't give you infinite lives from the start or send you back to a hub zone when you died. well, there's mega man of course but that lacked the infinite lives aspect.

plus chakan had a pretty unique art style too.

tbh, while i do like Chakan the Forever Man, i'd rather play through Phantom 2040 if given a choice between the 2. Phantom is a pretty large platformer game with a bunch of different branching story paths and endings (the best ending requires you to make a specific set of choices through the story of course) and final bosses. overall a great genesis game and they even made a cartoon series based on it in the 90's which can be found on youtube and other sites these days.

that might be easier to find as it's related to marvel but then again, what do i know?

Chakan
Yeah the grim and gloom warrior style theme
but because it was the 90's abit edgy too.
but I kinda like that style the Gritty edgy grim and gloom look.
like Shadow-Man, Nightmare Creatures, and Nine Inch Nails.

it was easier to get
the biker mice comics
I've heard Disney owns the original cartoons
I wonder why they never try to reboot it again?
but do it better, like have good Marvel writers go at it.

TheHuskyK9 said:

I had the original grey brick only
and a few games with some of their complete boxes and booklets.

some could be collectors items now

like Metroid 2
Final Fantasy Adventure
and Pokemon Red, as I got that completed with box and booklet.

TheHuskyK9 said:

I don't think the GBC counts as obscure retro gear, nearly everyone's heard if it. In fact, it literally predates the GBA by one generation of handheld consoles. That said, I never personally owned one, but I know a few people who did.

The Gameboy Camera might count as somewhat obscure. I don't know anyone who has ever owned one and most don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Also, I miss Lite-Brites. I never see them on toy store shelves anymore.

BlueDingo said:

From what little I remember, the Teletubbies were very progressive: devoid of gender stereotypes, devoid of peer pressures, devoid of discernible intelligence, et al.

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago

Sharp_Coyote said:
From what little I remember, the Teletubbies were very progressive: devoid of gender stereotypes, devoid of peer pressures, devoid of discernible intelligence, et al.

Not Teletubbies. Telestubbies, a rude parody version. There were parodies of other children's shows around that time as well, like Ernest the Engine & Others.

BlueDingo said:
Not Teletubbies. Telestubbies, a rude parody version. There were parodies of other children's shows around that time as well, like Ernest the Engine & Others.

MTV had strange cartoon moments
those extreme, artsy, dark humor animations
and i'm talking about those obscure cartoon shorts
like "weird ass cartoons"

stalkerd said:
MTV had strange cartoon moments
those extreme, artsy, dark humor animations
and i'm talking about those obscure cartoon shorts
like "weird ass cartoons"

like Ren & Stimpy? which, and you can find this on youtube, has an origin story episode for the titular characters that was so bad that even the people who worked to make the show strongly disliked. let's just say the physical and psychological animal cruelty aspects were cranked up to eleven. i got curious and watched it once before and for a cartoon, that was hard to watch. if i had to rate the lvl of cringe of that episode alone, i would say painfully cringey for the horrible things those 2 went through. :/

and i also remembered an obscure SNES game just now called Rendering Ranger R2. despite the odd name, it's actually quite well done. made by the same guy who created the turrican series, it features lots and lots of pre-rendered assets and is actually a multi-genre game which is something not seen very often on SNES.

for the most part it's your typical platforming shooter but for a good chunk of the game you play it as a sidescrolling space shooter and the controls get changed as well. one of the more notable aspects of the space shooter section was, for at least 1 boss fight, you could change which direction your ship is facing left/right. on top of that, you have access to several different color coded weapons to choose from and power up from collecting...power-ups. and you can switch between them freely at any time too.

for an obscure SNES game it's surprisingly well made. even the final boss has at least 3-4 phases. though...the plot isn't well explained until after you beat said final boss and some epilogue text appears but that's not all that uncommon for the game gen.

oh and iirc your bombs recharge so...yeah, have fun with this game. :) just remember to not rush things. it's not like ninja gaiden where you have endlessly respawning shit storms coming out of the wood work. you can take things fairly slowly for the most part. at least until the end where OMG WHY IS THAT WALL MOVING SO FAST?! O_O RUN FASTER!

yeah, got a few surprises in the final lvl but nothing too bad. i wouldn't say it's Dr. Wily laser trap bad. and i think we all know how bad those were.