'Cute' Tag Discussion

In category: Tag/Wiki Projects and Questions

It's been a while since the last time we had this talk, so I figured it's time we had it again.

I won't beat around the bush. Cute is not staying. Personally, I'd be happy to just throw this tag into the sun and call it a day.

However, our last discussion brought up the possibility of disambiguation, so let's humor that for a little while.

What objective tags might we include on the cute_(disambiguation) page?

If a disambiguation will only lead to more messes that never get cleaned, I will repeat what I posted here.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings missing_sample navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 24
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

Knotty_Curls said:
What objective tags might we include on the cute_(disambiguation) page?

big_head, big_eyes and chibi are the first three that come to mind.

Pretty much BlueDingo's statements. I also think something like an extra fluffy tag could fit in there; do we have one of those tags?

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings missing_sample navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Cute characters are often toony in form so that might apply as well.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 239
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Too many posts, I don't see how it'd benefit from disambiguation. Instead of mistagged cute we'll just have cute_(disambiguation) that'll keep growing, because sorting through it would take forever.

Would be better off invalidated.

But if it absolutely must be disambiguated, then here's an another one: pinup. Cute gets tagged for sexy poses all the time. Just tag scripted those though, so cute pinup won't net many hits right now. But it will fill up again.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

If we do get rid of cute for being too subjective, will other subjective tags like creepy follow suit?

BlueDingo said:
If we do get rid of cute for being too subjective, will other subjective tags like creepy follow suit?

I think that's a fair point. I'd also like to add nightmare_fuel to that as well. And what about other tags like big_butt, big_breasts, and small_breasts (unless those have objective definitions for what constitutes a "big butt" or "small breasts" that I'm not aware of)? With those tags, I just use my instincts for what counts as big or small by most people's standards.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

UnusualParadox said:
I think that's a fair point. I'd also like to add nightmare_fuel to that as well. And what about other tags like big_butt, big_breasts, and small_breasts (unless those have objective definitions for what constitutes a "big butt" or "small breadts" that I'm not aware of)? With those tags, I just use my instincts for what counts as big or small by most people's standards.

big_breasts kinda does. It's defined as pretty big but smaller than the character's head, which actually creates some inconsistencies on where it's applied and the "pretty big" part is a little subjective.

BlueDingo said:
big_breasts kinda does. It's defined as pretty big but smaller than the character's head, which actually creates some inconsistencies on where it's applied and the "pretty big" part is a little subjective.

I guess a more objective definition for big_breasts would be DD to E cup, but less than F. Small_breasts could also be defined as B cup or smaller, but not flatchested. Probably just deconstructed my argument, but I still think that using terms like "big" or "small" regarding male or female genitalia is a bit subjective, especially for how they're currently used.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

UnusualParadox said:
I guess a more objective definition for big_breasts would be DD to E cup, but less than F. Small_breasts could also be defined as B cup or smaller, but not flatchested. Probably just deconstructed my argument, but I still think that using terms like "big" or "small" regarding male or female genitalia is a bit subjective, especially for how they're currently used.

How would you determine a character's cup size without knowing a character's overall size? For tagging purposes, all measurements have to be relative to something. My suggestion was comparing breast size to torso width which would produce less odd results.

BlueDingo said:
How would you determine a character's cup size without knowing a character's overall size? For tagging purposes, all measurements have to be relative to something. My suggestion was comparing breast size to torso width which would produce less odd results.

I could just be too tired to argue or simply not care enough. But I can infer that I am partially correct in believing that the previously mentioned terms are often used subjectively?

P.S. Even if they are, I don't really have any ideas on how to fix that.

▼ IN WHICH I LEAVE A WALL O' TEXT

If we have "cute_(disambiguation)", people will still use that subjectivley. And if we invalidate it... That's gonna be a LOT of "invalid_tag" to clean up, considering that there is 504 pages of it.

And the "big_eyes" and "chibi" tags won't really cut it, since their could be a non-big eyed, non-chibi things that's considered cute, like a mouse or something way too fluffy for it's own good.

It is a subjective tag and should be removed... But honestley, it's just not worth it. And like others have said, many other subjective tags would have to follow suit, and blacklists/subscriptions would be messed up, people will complain about the removal, people will still tag something as cute anyways, so on and so forth.

Is there any way the tag could be deleted, removing all the tag cute from all posts it applies to, and THEN make it an invalid tag, to spare all the work of cleaning out tags? If that option exists then I suggest it, but if not then making it an invalid tag will make for one hell of a cleanup.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

Clitheroe said:
And the "big_eyes" and "chibi" tags won't really cut it, since their could be a non-big eyed, non-chibi things that's considered cute, like a mouse or something way too fluffy for it's own good.

It is a subjective tag and should be removed... But honestley, it's just not worth it. And like others have said, many other subjective tags would have to follow suit, and blacklists/subscriptions would be messed up, people will complain about the removal, people will still tag something as cute anyways, so on and so forth.

The likely reason why it hasn't been dealt with yet is because there'd be no easy way to find cute things without it. Many have big eyes, many don't. Many have a big head, many don't. Many are toony, many aren't. These features are also somewhat common on creepy images as well.

<3 blue_eyes braces earth_pony equine female feral friendship_is_magic front_view fur hair headshot_portrait hi_res horse joyfulinsanity long_hair looking_at_viewer mammal my_little_pony open_mouth pink_fur pink_hair pinkie_pie_(mlp) pony portrait smile solo teeth

Score: 15
User: Deatron
Date: December 22, 2013 ← Cute or creepy? → big_eyes black_background blue_eyes creepy earth_pony equine eye_reflection eyelashes feral friendship_is_magic front_view fur grin hair headshot_portrait hi_res horse long_hair looking_at_viewer mammal murskme my_little_pony nightmare_fuel pink_fur pink_hair pinkamena_(mlp) pinkie_pie_(mlp) pony portrait reflection scary shaded simple_background smile solo soul_devouring_eyes teeth where_is_your_god_now

Score: 37
User: slyroon
Date: April 26, 2016

O16
1 month ago
abomasnow alakazam amaura animate_inanimate anthro arcanine avalugg bastiodon beartic bovine canine cranidos eeveelution excadrill feathered_wings feathers feline feral floatzel gengar gogoat hawlucha haxorus heliolisk hi_res insect_wings jellicent kingdra leavanny lillipup lucario lunatone luxray magneton makuhita mammal meowstic milotic miltank mismagius monster nidoking nintendo nosepass onix panpour pansage pansear pidgeotto piloswine pokémon poliwrath raichu rodent roserade scyther slaking sloth solrock starmie steelix swanna sylveon torkoal tyrunt video_games vileplume vivillon watchog weezing whirlipede wings zebstrika かんな_2日目東m02a

Score: 47
User: Rad_Dudesman
Date: February 28, 2016

I would be lying if say that 'cute' isn't subjective, but is a thing in which lots (emphasis in lots) of people are interested.

I would suggest reseting the 'cute' tag; in other words: creating a tag with a less common name, then reallocating to it the posts which fit in our standards.
If you look at the 'daww' tag you will notice how impressively harmonic it is, not only proving that is possible to make a good version of the 'cute' tag, but being a possible starting point for the aforementioned reset.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

BlueDingo said:

Dfeinitely. Creepy is too subjective to keep. I already did pre-emptive disambiguation for that a while back, by adding the related tags.

...though I seem to have forgotten one of the more obvious ones: monster.

Clitheroe said:
If we have "cute_(disambiguation)", people will still use that subjectivley. And if we invalidate it... That's gonna be a LOT of "invalid_tag" to clean up, considering that there is 504 pages of it.

The latter is not a problem. Armpits was recently invalidated, and it had at least ten times as many posts. Kira sorted it out quickly.

Genjar said:
The latter is not a problem. Armpits was recently invalidated, and it had at least ten times as many posts. Kira sorted it out quickly.

Armpits has been marked as an invalid tag? Huh. Didn't another user spend months adding that tag to posts for people with an armpit fetish and receive some sort of promotion for his effort? I think Applebaum was his name?

Late Edit: I was close. His name is Eppleblam and he's marked privileged for all that work, which no longer counts for anything really. Kind of feel sorry for him, that's a lot of work to be destroyed by one fell swoop.

I'd rather it just be invalidated. I try not to tag it because I have no idea what the standards for it are as I've seen a huge range of posts get it.

O16
1 month ago
abomasnow alakazam amaura animate_inanimate anthro arcanine avalugg bastiodon beartic bovine canine cranidos eeveelution excadrill feathered_wings feathers feline feral floatzel gengar gogoat hawlucha haxorus heliolisk hi_res insect_wings jellicent kingdra leavanny lillipup lucario lunatone luxray magneton makuhita mammal meowstic milotic miltank mismagius monster nidoking nintendo nosepass onix panpour pansage pansear pidgeotto piloswine pokémon poliwrath raichu rodent roserade scyther slaking sloth solrock starmie steelix swanna sylveon torkoal tyrunt video_games vileplume vivillon watchog weezing whirlipede wings zebstrika かんな_2日目東m02a

Oh, I forgot mentioning: About the tag itself I would suggest a disambiguation, not only because that may be necessary for the aforementioned reset idea¹, but because some interesting tags can be attracted from it, like the ones BlueDingo mentioned as well as 'romantic_couple', 'shy' and 'puppy_eyes'.

▼ ¹

I would be lying if say that 'cute' isn't subjective, but is a thing in which lots (emphasis in lots) of people are interested.

I would suggest reseting the 'cute' tag; in other words: creating a tag with a less common name, then reallocating to it the posts which fit in our standards.
If you look at the 'daww' tag you will notice how impressively harmonic it is, not only proving that is possible to make a good version of the 'cute' tag, but being a possible starting point for the aforementioned reset.

Ruku
1 month ago
2017 3_fingers absurd_res alpha_channel ambiguous_form ambiguous_gender blue_scales breaking_the_fourth_wall character_name claws conjoined darou digital_media_(artwork) digital_painting_(artwork) exotic_pupils forked_tongue glowing green_eyes hand_on_frame head_tails headshot_portrait hi_res hydra icon long_neck merging monster multi_eye multi_face multi_head multi_mouth multi_pupil nightmare_fuel open_mouth picture_frame portal portrait saliva scales shaded sharp_teeth simple_background slit_pupils solo tan_scales teeth text theowlette third_eye tongue tongue_mouth tongue_sheath

Score: 6
User: Ruku
Date: April 06, 2017

BlueDingo said:
[...]

<3 blue_eyes braces earth_pony equine female feral friendship_is_magic front_view fur hair headshot_portrait hi_res horse joyfulinsanity long_hair looking_at_viewer mammal my_little_pony open_mouth pink_fur pink_hair pinkie_pie_(mlp) pony portrait smile solo teeth

Score: 15
User: Deatron
Date: December 22, 2013 ← Cute or creepy? → big_eyes black_background blue_eyes creepy earth_pony equine eye_reflection eyelashes feral friendship_is_magic front_view fur grin hair headshot_portrait hi_res horse long_hair looking_at_viewer mammal murskme my_little_pony nightmare_fuel pink_fur pink_hair pinkamena_(mlp) pinkie_pie_(mlp) pony portrait reflection scary shaded simple_background smile solo soul_devouring_eyes teeth where_is_your_god_now

Score: 37
User: slyroon
Date: April 26, 2016

Just saying those braces rather ruin the whole cuteness factor there^_^;

As to the tag cute, i do support a disambiguation, we do already have tags for some of the specific traits or actions pretty much always defined as cute like puppy_eyes or baby_fat for example...

PS:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqX2IzzVAcU >_>

So, a subjextive tag witch hunt is on huh?

Knotty_Curls said:
... Cute is not staying. Personally, I'd be happy to just throw this tag into the sun and call it a day ...
If a disambiguation will only lead to more messes that never get cleaned, I will repeat what I posted here.

Knots, I was with you 5 months ago, and I still have yer back ... er ... plumage ...

the cute tag needs to go the way of the armpit
(and by that, I mean 'go away forevermore').

I was on the side of invalidation months ago and I still am today. Cute might have a purpose, but peeps have a huge range on what they consider cute and it is mistagged very often. I remember someone put the cute tag on a vore pic because the uploader thought that getting eaten is cute.

Like seriously, how are these cute, in terms of how we define it in the wiki?
ambiguous_gender ball clothed clothing cricket_(sport) cricket_bat cute duo fur gaming grass humor lagomorph mammal rabbit semi-anthro solo_focus source_request sport uniform unknown_artist what

Score: 8
User: SwiperTheFox
Date: June 24, 2017 abs beach big_ears big_eyes bikini brown_hair chair clothing coconut_drink cute eyes_closed eyewear female fur hair hand_behind_back kilinah lagomorph male mammal nepomuk_(character) recliner red_shirt relaxing seaside sitting slim sunglasses swimming_trunks swimsuit

Score: 2
User: Madeleine
Date: June 23, 2017

O16
1 month ago

TheHuskyK9 said:
I was on the side of invalidation months ago and I still am today. Cute might have a purpose, but peeps have a huge range on what they consider cute and it is mistagged very often. I remember someone put the cute tag on a vore pic because the uploader thought that getting eaten is cute.

ambiguous_gender ball clothed clothing cricket_(sport) cricket_bat cute duo fur gaming grass humor lagomorph mammal rabbit semi-anthro solo_focus source_request sport uniform unknown_artist what

Score: 8
User: SwiperTheFox
Date: June 24, 2017 abs beach big_ears big_eyes bikini brown_hair chair clothing coconut_drink cute eyes_closed eyewear female fur hair hand_behind_back kilinah lagomorph male mammal nepomuk_(character) recliner red_shirt relaxing seaside sitting slim sunglasses swimming_trunks swimsuit

Score: 2
User: Madeleine
Date: June 23, 2017

As I mentioned, may exist a way to save the tag:

▼ suggestion:

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

I say disambig and urge users to use alternative tags. Sure, it will be a never-ending garbage pile (just like any other disambig) but sorting it is more productive than burning it.

TheHuskyK9 said:

Kinda hard to answer when the wiki doesn't really define what cute is.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago

BlueDingo said:
I say disambig and urge users to use alternative tags. Sure, it will be a never-ending garbage pile (just like any other disambig) but sorting it is more productive than burning it.

I'll have to disagree. Sorting it means less time for other projects, which in turn leads to other tags becoming messes and then needing disambiguation. Which is why this trend of disambiguating everything makes me kind of nervous.

If I spend time sorting things like cute, I'll have no time to maintain tags that I care about. Surely the same is true for at least some of the other taggers.

Ruku
1 month ago
2017 3_fingers absurd_res alpha_channel ambiguous_form ambiguous_gender blue_scales breaking_the_fourth_wall character_name claws conjoined darou digital_media_(artwork) digital_painting_(artwork) exotic_pupils forked_tongue glowing green_eyes hand_on_frame head_tails headshot_portrait hi_res hydra icon long_neck merging monster multi_eye multi_face multi_head multi_mouth multi_pupil nightmare_fuel open_mouth picture_frame portal portrait saliva scales shaded sharp_teeth simple_background slit_pupils solo tan_scales teeth text theowlette third_eye tongue tongue_mouth tongue_sheath

Score: 6
User: Ruku
Date: April 06, 2017

Genjar said:
I'll have to disagree. Sorting it means less time for other projects, which in turn leads to other tags becoming messes and then needing disambiguation. Which is why this trend of disambiguating everything makes me kind of nervous.

If I spend time sorting things like cute, I'll have no time to maintain tags that I care about. Surely the same is true for at least some of the other taggers.

pardon me but it seems you are making it out to be as if its just one person on the whole site tagging anything at all. Im going assume you have never been dealing with the tag before so why should it suddenly bother you now, no one is forcing you to invest time in it... To be claer I do not see these disambiguations really effecting anyone who already have established tag sets they are sorting thru.

O16
1 month ago

Genjar said:

A popperly organized movement would be more efficient, hence less time-consuming. I guess we would need to proceed in the same way as long tunnels are dug: with specific segments being organized simultaneously by predetermined units.

1) X users with a historic of reliability would candidate themselves or be invited for this work.

2) anything posted until the dated of the start of the cleaning would be divided equally among X - 1 of those users (using postage date as a demarcation).

3a) a daily cleaning quota equal or superior to the medium number of posts daily tagged with 'cute' would be established for those X - 1 users.

3b) the remaining user would be in charge of anything posted after that date.

4) Eventually, everything would be cleaned, all that without consuming too much daily time of anyone.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago

Ruku said:
Im going assume you have never been dealing with the tag before so why should it suddenly bother you now, no one is forcing you to invest time in it...

I've been cleaning it for a few years, combined hours for that project probably number somewhere around twenty. You can imagine what the tag would look like without that.

Would've been simpler for everyone if it had been invalidated way back when it became a problem.

TheHuskyK9 said:

This.
Because I have searched couple times using the tag, but majority of the stuff under it right now, I would've never tagged with cute to begin with. Also most of the time when post gets explicit I wouldn't consider things to be that cute anymore.

Main issue is that there is clearly use for tag like this, but there's not many alternatives. At least with armpits it was easy to just use already exsisting tags. chibi is one, but even that is getting misstagged a lot, because it should have clearly defined feature, not just that characters head is slightly larger than it should be. big_eyes kinda works, but also contains tons of sonic and toony characters.

O16
1 month ago

Mario69 said:

Main issue is that there is clearly use for tag like this, but there's not many alternatives. At least with armpits it was easy to just use already exsisting tags. chibi is one, but even that is getting misstagged a lot, because it should have clearly defined feature, not just that characters head is slightly larger than it should be. big_eyes kinda works, but also contains tons of sonic and toony characters.

As I am trying to say, may exist a way of "saving" the tag (and it probably would need this disambiguation to work).

▼ Here it is ...again:

However those "our standards" really would need to be established before.