This may have been already posted but sometimes you also need to change the end from PNG to JPG if you still get errors after deleting the numbers from the start of the URL.

BlackLicorice said:
This may have been already posted but sometimes you also need to change the end from PNG to JPG if you still get errors after deleting the numbers from the start of the URL.

That's weird. Can you give an example?

BlackLicorice said:

I hope this isn't the same thing that twitter does that they actually save their JPG images as PNG for god knows why.

So just friendly reminder, if PNG file has JPG compression in it, something is horribly wrong.

BlackLicorice said:

Mario69 said:
I hope this isn't the same thing that twitter does that they actually save their JPG images as PNG for god knows why.

Fake news. I have never had this happen with the Tumblr images and I checked at least 250 of them. Can anyone come up with one example of a PNG to JPG or JPG to PNG switcharoo?

Lance_Armstrong said:
Fake news. I have never had this happen with the Tumblr images and I checked at least 250 of them. Can anyone come up with one example of a PNG to JPG or JPG to PNG switcharoo?

Never happened with any of my uploads.

Strongbird
Contributor
3 months ago

Blind_Guardian said:
Never happened with any of my uploads.

Likewise.

I have a case here where removing the prefix and changing the end tag gives me access denied XML sillyness. Not sure if just me and not sure if just on Firefox? IE tells me the site demands a login...
Changed http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76dgzeOrP1rtx32lo1_1280.png
To: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76dgzeOrP1rtx32lo1_raw.png
What do?

leomole
Privileged
2 months ago
2014 anthro bottle bottomless cat chair clothed clothing computer desk feline fur girly headphones hoodie inside jailbird leaning leaning_back legwear liam looking_at_viewer looking_back male mammal reclining sitting smile socks solo tan_fur

Rating: Safe
Score: 117
User: Onii-chan
Date: May 09, 2014

That's because it's from before 2013 (forum #235288). The raw image is not available.

leomole said:
That's because it's from before 2013 (forum #235288). The raw image is not available.

How can you tell it is pre-2013? Is there anyway to tell through metadata or the tumblr url?

Cormy1 said:
How can you tell it is pre-2013? Is there anyway to tell through metadata or the tumblr url?

Chances are, they simply found it on-site and noticed it said 2012 in the tags.

But that's one way, probably not the only. And there are even multiple ways to do this, Harry.lu and reverse-image google searching are but two.

leomole
Privileged
2 months ago
2014 anthro bottle bottomless cat chair clothed clothing computer desk feline fur girly headphones hoodie inside jailbird leaning leaning_back legwear liam looking_at_viewer looking_back male mammal reclining sitting smile socks solo tan_fur

Score: 117
User: Onii-chan
Date: May 09, 2014

Yes I used http://iqdb.harry.lu/ to find post #230527 which is tagged 2012. And even before that I noticed the Tumblr image was hosted on server 24 (http://24.media.tumblr.com) which is old.

JCV
2 months ago
2016 4_fingers ambiguous_gender anthro anthrofied biped black_claws blush canine cheek_tuft choker claws clothed clothing digital_drawing_(artwork) digital_media_(artwork) embarrassed eyelashes fluffy fluffy_tail front_view frown fur girly grey_clothing grey_topwear half-length_portrait head_tuft long_tail looking_away lycanroc mammal midday_lycanroc multicolored_fur neck_tuft nintendo paws pokémon pokémon_(species) pokémorph portrait simple_background slim solo spikes sweater tan_fur tuft two_tone_fur video_games wataameron white_background white_fur white_tail

Score: 13
User: facelessmess
Date: September 15, 2017

Cormy1 said:

Usually you can tell in the url by it being massively shorter. It eliminates some of the junk in the middle that most likely acts as a second buffer so that each image url ends up being unique in the longrun.

Take these two Tokifuji posts:

Pre-2013 image link:. http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbyl8pkisN1qi6k9ao1_1280.png
Post-2013 image link: http://media.tumblr.com/b82397e5a50b48df04a023a3738d84c8/tumblr_mi0khmhean1qi6k9ao1_raw.png

And for date comparisons:
10-15-2012 post: http://tokifuji-art.tumblr.com/post/33673575002/
02-10-2013 post: http://tokifuji-art.tumblr.com/post/42761534772/

leomole said:
Yes I used http://iqdb.harry.lu/ to find post #230527 which is tagged 2012. And even before that I noticed the Tumblr image was hosted on server 24 (http://24.media.tumblr.com) which is old.

I can also concur with this. Images used to be hosted on server 31, (http://31.media.tumblr.com), server 65 (http://65.media.tumblr.com), and server 67 (http://67.media.tumblr.com) at one point too if I remember correctly, but I haven't seen any of those instances in ages.

JCV said:
Usually you can tell in the url by it being massively shorter. It eliminates some of the junk in the middle that most likely acts as a second buffer so that each image url ends up being unique in the longrun.

Take these two Tokifuji posts:

Pre-2013 image link:. http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbyl8pkisN1qi6k9ao1_1280.png
Post-2013 image link: http://media.tumblr.com/b82397e5a50b48df04a023a3738d84c8/tumblr_mi0khmhean1qi6k9ao1_raw.png

That "junk" in the middle, appears to be MD5 hash. This is most likely for originally uploaded file.

I first though it was for _raw files, however it appears that it only matches with PNG files and only from recent years. JPG, GIF and earlier PNG files do not match. Before this whole RAW thing, I did notice how some artists images from weasyl and sofurry, MD5 matched the one on tumblr versions url, but this was so inconsistant that I couldn't draw the line.

Like with this, it doesn't appear your given URL does not match the MD5 with the raw file, but if I go and look up any 2017 PNG uploaded from tumblr, the MD5 matches.

I just want people to POST THE ACTUAL FUCKING TUMBLR PAGE LINK of the reuploads, and not just the direct link to the raw. Direct links should be invalidated as a source.

Azula_Arktandr said:
I just want people to POST THE ACTUAL FUCKING TUMBLR PAGE LINK of the reuploads, and not just the direct link to the raw. Direct links should be invalidated as a source.

Tumblr is usually reverse search engine friendly. Use reverse google, TinEye, IQDB, or others. You can also use Harry.lu on these raw images and see the old posts have other sources. If any of these brings results, you could add them onto the new post. Invalidation is too harsh and won't help, but o wish we had a sourcing checklist or suggestions.

Siral_Exan said:
Tumblr is usually reverse search engine friendly. Use reverse google, TinEye, IQDB, or others. You can also use Harry.lu on these raw images and see the old posts have other sources. If any of these brings results, you could add them onto the new post. Invalidation is too harsh and won't help, but o wish we had a sourcing checklist or suggestions.

That was not the point.

Point was that there are several users who are now posting with direct link, meaning they are at the proper source already, but refuse to put that source in the source field, meaning other users are either left without source or required to spend ton of time fetching that source from said methods - if even found with those. Pretty sure Azulas comment was specifically for those uploading better versions, meaning earlier versions already had the source, but the new versions uploader simply decided to omit it, which is also insanely infuriating.

It's at the point that even I have asked Kira directly that is it possible to disallow direct URL uploads if the user does not provide actual source to source field. So I would not be opposed to some level of punishment as I do have better things to do as well as to constantly clean up these kind of things. Sometimes knowing the source is pretty crucial as some artists do have patreon pages so without proper source link, all I can do is to assume that it's from third party tumblr meaning leaked content.

Of course there's not any rules to put any sources to begin with, but it's insanely frustrating to see users clearly having access to source, but not providing it. Given, this happens with Furaffinity a lot as well, but recent surge on tumblr content has made it worse.

Mario69 said:
That was not the point.

Point was that there are several users who are now posting with direct link, meaning they are at the proper source already, but refuse to put that source in the source field, meaning other users are either left without source or required to spend ton of time fetching that source from said methods - if even found with those. Pretty sure Azulas comment was specifically for those uploading better versions, meaning earlier versions already had the source, but the new versions uploader simply decided to omit it, which is also insanely infuriating.

It's at the point that even I have asked Kira directly that is it possible to disallow direct URL uploads if the user does not provide actual source to source field. So I would not be opposed to some level of punishment as I do have better things to do as well as to constantly clean up these kind of things. Sometimes knowing the source is pretty crucial as some artists do have patreon pages so without proper source link, all I can do is to assume that it's from third party tumblr meaning leaked content.

Of course there's not any rules to put any sources to begin with, but it's insanely frustrating to see users clearly having access to source, but not providing it. Given, this happens with Furaffinity a lot as well, but recent surge on tumblr content has made it worse.

I'm responding to the perceived hostility. I knew the point made, but we shouldn't want anyone aggravated in this site.

Dogenzaka
Privileged
2 months ago

Siral_Exan said:

The problem I see is when you reverse-search and get nothing but reposts, and most reposters just use the 1280 link since it's been the standard for so long. I've been unable to find the original source for many older images because all I get in the reverse-search are reposts and reblogs from those reposts, but no reblogs from the artists themselves, so the original source with the full-size image is forever lost.

Dogenzaka said:
The problem I see is when you reverse-search and get nothing but reposts, and most reposters just use the 1280 link since it's been the standard for so long. I've been unable to find the original source for many older images because all I get in the reverse-search are reposts and reblogs from those reposts, but no reblogs from the artists themselves, so the original source with the full-size image is forever lost.

Exactly the kind of problem I'm having.

Genjar
Former Staff
2 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 244
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Mario69 said:
It's at the point that even I have asked Kira directly that is it possible to disallow direct URL uploads if the user does not provide actual source to source field.

That would be incredibly stupid.
For instance, I'm currently working on checking my old Tumblr downloads from ~2015, from my backup HD. I know the direct download links, and can get raws from those. But I have no other sources, because the downloader I used back then didn't save those.

We need to raise more awareness for _raw links.
I suggest creating a character named Easy Rawlinks who is a super sexy anthro.

Mario69 said:

So just friendly reminder, if PNG file has JPG compression in it, something is horribly wrong.

Nope, tumblr saves PNGs as true PNGs.

I can't remember exactly but one image I tried to upload I had to do that to. Unless my mind is just making stuff up, idk. I'm pretty sure I remember having to do that to one image.

BlueDingo
Privileged
2 months ago
2012 5_fingers abstract_background anthro armor blood blood_on_weapon bovine cleaning digital_media_(artwork) digital_painting_(artwork) eye_scar facial_scar front_view fur green_fur greg_staples half-length_portrait half_portrait holding_object holding_weapon horn magic_the_gathering male mammal melee_weapon minotaur official_art plate_armor portrait scar shoulder_guards simple_background soldier solo standing sword weapon

Score: 2
User: Circeus
Date: January 03, 2015

Munkelzahn said:

How are you going to stop their brains from switching off?

Ledian
Privileged
2 months ago
2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

Score: 12
User: Ledian
Date: September 20, 2017

Dogenzaka said:

add -*insert reposter's username here* in your search and it will remove a lot of the unwanted results

Genjar said:
That would be incredibly stupid.
For instance, I'm currently working on checking my old Tumblr downloads from ~2015, from my backup HD. I know the direct download links, and can get raws from those. But I have no other sources, because the downloader I used back then didn't save those.

In those cases you could just save the file locally and upload from there.

Alternatively do what I did when I get to those uploads, check the timestamp on FA source of earlier post (which nobody seems to copy over to new post even though there's 5 source lines provided), go to artists tumblr, go to archive of that month and get the proper source url.

I have maybe encountered one scenario where earlier upload was also just the direct URL and could not find the actual source page, so all other cases have been simply about taking a minute to do things as well as possible.

Genjar
Former Staff
2 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 244
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Mario69 said:
In those cases you could just save the file locally and upload from there.

I'd rather just stop uploading, if that's the route we're going with. I have way too much pending work to spend time jumping through extra hoops like that.

Not all Tumblr uploads are reposts. Most of the art that I've posted lately is from old deleted accounts, but new to the site. Some would've likely been lost for good, if I hadn't happened to save the download links back then.

It's annoying to see comment complaints about not copying the sources properly, when there are no sources to copy.

Genjar said:
It's annoying to see comment complaints about not copying the sources properly, when there are no sources to copy.

Maybe copy and paste a disclaimer in the description and call it a day. Since you won't have the original Tumblr post description in those cases anyway, the description field is all yours.

Munkelzahn said:

That's a sexy idea. But are you updating your extension or not?

If not, I might make something on my end to automate the Tumblr thing. I don't want to get carpal tunnel.

Lance_Armstrong said:
That's a sexy idea. But are you updating your extension or not?

If not, I might make something on my end to automate the Tumblr thing. I don't want to get carpal tunnel.

Are you talking about this script? It's been updated to redirect tumblr image urls to the raw version on the general 'media.tumblr' server.

JAKXXX3 said:
Are you talking about this script? It's been updated to redirect tumblr image urls to the raw version on the general 'media.tumblr' server.

I might add that in, but I'm talking about an extension that uploads a higher resolution image, copies the tags, etc.

If I do it right I could click a button and have it open the Tumblr raw, check to see that it is higher resolution, and then upload it.

Strongbird
Contributor
2 months ago

Tumblr has started requiring accounts to view certain NSFW blogs. Since I'm not exactly keen on making another pointless account just to view adult content, I'm requesting that more users help working through the search string that I've been using and combing through leftover posts, notably madamsquiggles (Tumblr renamed to madammoo) and kingbeast.

If you happen upon a source link to a post that doesn't appear to be working, but you do have access to that artist's new Tumblr, add the full /post/ suffix to the new base URL. You'll often find that content has been ported to a new blog under the same name.

There's plenty left to do, but there's also a lot of content I'm just not interested in posting/looking at, so more help in finding and uploading better versions of posts would be appreciated in general.