If someone wants the raw version, all they have to do is follow the source link on the post to the 1280 version and change the URL themselves. It's not being directly posted here in that case. It takes the person a few seconds longer to get the image, but no DNP rules are being violated.
I mean, the raw versions are freely available from Tumblr. It's not like people are hacking into Tumblr itself and stealing them.

leomole said:
This has already been done (takedown #6186). If an artist wants to take down all raw posts but leave the 1280 versions it's a lot of work for the mods but they'll do it.

They did this and also flagged the posts as paid content, because they were thinking that it was paid content from their patreon as they area advertising the resolutions released on patreon on their submissions. They are now aware of this, meaning they can fix it themselves in the future, instead of making pointless DNP requests here.

And this gets back to my point, make artists aware of how the sites handle their content.

How can we tell which marblesoda images are DNP? Are all of them supposed to be DNP above 1280x1920, or are only some high res images Patreon-only? Their last 4 posts are above 1280x1920, in spite of the takedown. post #1258033 is 5000x5000, yet the Tumblr source for that says "Support me on patreon and get full resolution files (5k), videos and psd’s c:". :/

Unfortunately, it's not such a manageable policy, especially when an artist intends to paywall the full res versions of only some of their gallery. Worse, the artist can publicly release full res versions a few months after the Patreon-only release, but those high res versions may already be deleted on e621. Reversible, but still... not every such theoretical deletion would get reversed due to inconsistent reporting and apathy from users. Messy situation.

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

abadbird said:
How can we tell which marblesoda images are DNP? Are all of them supposed to be DNP above 1280x1920, or are only some high res images Patreon-only?

That depends entirely on whether they make a public statement regarding their policy going forth. Otherwise, the only safe option is to not post any 'raw' Tumblr art of theirs at all since they're open to takedown requests.

Ideally, artists would recognize that they unintentionally leaked Patreon-intended resolutions to the public and come to terms with the mistake, allowing previous hi-res images to be posted elsewhere while manually resizing new images going forth. That would be the best option for the artist PR-wise, and other sites that don't respect artists' wishes will continue to post those 'freely available' images irrespective of demands since they're technically not behind a paywall (barring deletion of all Tumblr posts to completely prevent public access).

abadbird said:
How can we tell which marblesoda images are DNP? Are all of them supposed to be DNP above 1280x1920, or are only some high res images Patreon-only? Their last 4 posts are above 1280x1920, in spite of the takedown. post #1258033 is 5000x5000, yet the Tumblr source for that says "Support me on patreon and get full resolution files (5k), videos and psd’s c:". :/

Unfortunately, it's not such a manageable policy, especially when an artist intends to paywall the full res versions of only some of their gallery. Worse, the artist can publicly release full res versions a few months after the Patreon-only release, but those high res versions may already be deleted on e621. Reversible, but still... not every such theoretical deletion would get reversed due to inconsistent reporting and apathy from users. Messy situation.

I don't even know how many times I have to repeat what I have said already for it to get trough anymore.

Artist has not requested DNP, so artist itself is not DNP. Content on tumblr is publicly and freely available content, so they do not fall under our under two years old paid content rule either. So from sites rule and guideline standpoint, same things apply as with everything else, so if you get the file from artists own tumblr account, it's OK here.

However artist has full right to request those files to be taken down from here if they so desire. They used the takedown already, but the details and effected posts aren't visible. If the reason for it has been they do not want highest resolution here, then we simply host the second highest resolution and use better_version_at_source tag. If they aren't using further takedowns on newer higher resolution posts, that's also up to them.

If there comes situation that earlier leaked patreon only content does get released freely and the hash makes it impossible to upload here, please be in contact with staff and situation can be manually handled. However if content has been deleted by takedown, confirmation from who made the takedown is most likely required.

Strongbird said:
That depends entirely on whether they make a public statement regarding their policy going forth. Otherwise, the only safe option is to not post any 'raw' Tumblr art of theirs at all since they're open to takedown requests.

Ideally, artists would recognize that they unintentionally leaked Patreon-intended resolutions to the public and come to terms with the mistake, allowing previous hi-res images to be posted elsewhere while manually resizing new images going forth. That would be the best option for the artist PR-wise, and other sites that don't respect artists' wishes will continue to post those 'freely available' images irrespective of demands since they're technically not behind a paywall (barring deletion of all Tumblr posts to completely prevent public access).

Damn ur good :|
Wouldn't have said it any better.

How far along is the Tumblr reupload project?

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

Lance_Armstrong said:
How far along is the Tumblr reupload project?

Most of the 100+ voted posts have been cleared out where possible by other posters. I'm currently going through an order:score'd list based on width limit to catch stragglers (already checked page 1), then will have to do the same for the height limit.

It'll be a good, long while until those posts are recovered. Some artists have made new Tumblr blogs altogether and deleted their old ones, which is a good place to start if the older Tumblr has been deleted/hacked.

For instance, links to Eroborus's old Tumblr (ero-boros instead of ero-borus) currently only redirect to a malware download portal, and it'd be wise from both an image preservation and security standpoint to find raw versions through the archive function (accessible by appending any base Tumblr URL with /archive) to replace older uploads that link to malicious pages ASAP.

Mario69 said:
DNP

Jargon. My mistake. DNP and takedown have special meaning on e621 and e621 only. I confused what I assumed were the artist's wishes with the form the artist filed and how we're able to process that form.

They used the takedown already, but the details and effected posts aren't visible.

That's not entirely true. We can list the deleted posts with marblesoda delreason:6186, and the reason is public: "The high resolution images are for patreons only."

Doesn't seem like a good idea to continue posting marblesoda's full res art after they asked us to remove a slew of other full res art.

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

abadbird said:
That's not entirely true. We can list the deleted posts with marblesoda delreason:6186, and the reason is public: "The high resolution images are for patreons only."

Doesn't seem like a good idea to continue posting marblesoda's full res art after they asked us to remove a slew of other full res art.

Deletion reasons are nowhere near as visible as a big bright 'Conditional DNP' tag right next to the artist's name. It's not reasonable to expect users to sift through every deleted post from every artist to find every deletion reason to avoid making the same mistake. Having that tag and a restriction stated by the artist under the full DNP list is preferable to the extra hassle incurred for everyone else.

I've noticed something strange happening with some images.
When I go to the source and try to do the _raw thing, the URL doesn't work.
It gives me an 'Access Denied' error. It only happens for some images, however.
Could some artists have caught on and done something to stop people from accessing the raw files? Is that even something they can do?

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

VibrantLordiction said:
I've noticed something strange happening with some images.
When I go to the source and try to do the _raw thing, the URL doesn't work.
It gives me an 'Access Denied' error. It only happens for some images, however.
Could some artists have caught on and done something to stop people from accessing the raw files? Is that even something they can do?

You have to manually replace the # prefix on these. Tumblr stores some 1280 and raw files under different values. Common ones range from 25-40 and 60-70, usually at 25, 37, 66, 68, and some others.

Sadly, it'll be a process of trial and error on many posts to fix this, but at least the content can be salvaged.

Edit: NEVERMIND. You can avoid the issue entirely by omitting the prefix altogether and simply have 'media.tumblr.com'. I'm not sure why their system functions this way, but it works, so that takes out a lot of unnecessary trial and error.

JCV
9 months ago
2015 <3 amber_eyes ambiguous_gender anthro bag band-aid bandage biped black_clothing black_topwear blue_eyes brown_fur brown_tail cat chair chest_tuft clothed clothing crossed_arms digital_drawing_(artwork) digital_media_(artwork) ear_piercing feline footwear frown full-length_portrait fully_clothed fur grey_bottomwear grey_clothing grey_hair hair half-closed_eyes heterochromia hoodie inner_ear_fluff jeans long_tail looking_away mammal mcdonald's pants paper_bag photo_background piercing pink_nose pochowek portrait public shadow shoes short_hair sitting skala sneakers solo subway tuft

Rating: Safe
Score: 14
User: DiceLovesBeingBlown
Date: September 14, 2017

Strongbird said:
Edit: NEVERMIND. You can avoid the issue entirely by omitting the prefix altogether and simply have 'media.tumblr.com'. I'm not sure why their system functions this way, but it works, so that takes out a lot of unnecessary trial and error.

This should probably be added to the howto:sites page since this seems to be happening to all newly posted pictures on Tumblr. I've gotten five in the past ten minutes.

Strongbird said:
You have to manually replace the # prefix on these. Tumblr stores some 1280 and raw files under different values. Common ones range from 25-40 and 60-70, usually at 25, 37, 66, 68, and some others.

Sadly, it'll be a process of trial and error on many posts to fix this, but at least the content can be salvaged.

This fixed a problem I had just now. Too bad media.tumblr.com isn't whitelisted yet, though.

Dogenzaka
Privileged
9 months ago

Strongbird said:

Good find, I was worried for a minute. Swapping 68.media.tumblr.com/ with data.tumblr.com/ also works.

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

Dogenzaka said:
Good find, I was worried for a minute. Swapping 68.media.tumblr.com/ with data.tumblr.com/ also works.

data.tumblr.com threw an invalid certificate error for me when altering a media.tumblr.com URL. This is because Tumblr direct link URLs are auto-encrypted for me, likely due to HTTPS Everywhere.

I think 'media' would be preferable since it has TLS support, unlike the data version.

Dogenzaka
Privileged
9 months ago

Strongbird said:
data.tumblr.com threw an invalid certificate error for me when altering a media.tumblr.com URL. This is likely because Tumblr direct link URLs are auto-encrypted for me, likely due to HTTPS Everywhere.

I think 'media' would be preferable since it has TLS support, unlike the data version.

I guess 'media' is our safest bet then.

Strongbird said:

It's not just "Access Denied" errors.

post #384686
Take the https://68.media.tumblr.com/73e8bfb3bc952a29e77256f1215adc58/tumblr_mhmkbwnA2D1s3ro99o1_1280.jpg link
Replace _1280 with _raw = https://68.media.tumblr.com/73e8bfb3bc952a29e77256f1215adc58/tumblr_mhmkbwnA2D1s3ro99o1_raw.jpg
=> 404 Not Found
Now remove .68 and replace _1280 with _raw => https://media.tumblr.com/73e8bfb3bc952a29e77256f1215adc58/tumblr_mhmkbwnA2D1s3ro99o1_raw.jpg
=> 2400x1800 version

Maybe this is how all direct Tumblr links should be normalized

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

Munkelzahn said:
Maybe this is how all direct Tumblr links should be normalized

I've gone through the 2+ pages of uploads I've done and removed the prefix already, and it seems that this scheme works on all of them. Of note is that that prefixed versions sometimes won't work within a week of upload, whereas starting the URL with media always seems to function as intended.

Genjar
Former Staff
9 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 273
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

So, uh... Pretty much all of these have larger versions available: eroborus width:1280. That's about 400 posts.

If you can find them in his archive. Some have sources, many don't.

Can't say that I envy whoever uploaded the 1280 width ones. It's gonna hit their ratios hard... if anyone ever gets around to uploading those.

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

Genjar said:
So, uh... Pretty much all of these have larger versions available: eroborus width:1280. That's about 400 posts.

If you can find them in his archive. Some have sources, many don't.

Problem with a good amount of those is that Nintendo's been active in taking down all Pokemon-related artwork. Slyroon's been removing sources where this is the case, but you can test the images in question regardless by looking at source history, copying link location, and removing the number prefix and changing 1280 to raw, landing you on a 'This image has been removed at the copyright holder's request' page.

Strongbird said:
Problem with a good amount of those is that Nintendo's been active in taking down all Pokemon-related artwork. Slyroon's been removing sources where this is the case, but you can test the images in question regardless by looking at source history, copying link location, and removing the number prefix and changing 1280 to raw, landing you on a 'This image has been removed at the copyright holder's request' page.

Also for some reason, some of eroborus' tumbr links redirects to shady get rich quick sites and something called expired.tk post #816418 (http://ero-boros.tumblr.com/post/138205017867)

Strongbird
Contributor
9 months ago

slyroon said:
Also for some reason, some of eroborus' tumbr links redirects to shady get rich quick sites and something called expired.tk post #816418 (http://ero-boros.tumblr.com/post/138205017867)

That you can fix by replacing 'ero-boros' with 'ero-borus'. In most cases, the rest of the URL is the same, so I'd assume he got support from Tumblr at some point to port things to a new domain.

Genjar said:Can't say that I envy whoever uploaded the 1280 width ones. It's gonna hit their ratios hard... if anyone ever gets around to uploading those.

Hmm, why everyone cares about the deleted post ratio so much? I know it's designed to prevent newbies from posting lots of crap, but that hardly applies to anyone in this thread. Or is it just about "prestige" of sorts?

Besides, I'm pretty sure the admins would reset the deleted post counter for anyone who would actually get hit hard because of this Tumblr exploit.

ConsciousDonkey said:
Hmm, why everyone cares about the deleted post ratio so much? I know it's designed to prevent newbies from posting lots of crap, but that hardly applies to anyone in this thread. Or is it just about "prestige" of sorts?

Deleted posts can easily add up, especially for people who have uploaded hordes of posts.

ConsciousDonkey said:

Besides, I'm pretty sure the admins would reset the deleted post counter for anyone who would actually get hit hard because of this Tumblr exploit.

It takes 10 approved posts to increase your upload limit by 1, but only 4 to decrease it by 1. So it would not be shocking to see your upload limit crash to 0 or less if you uploaded a lot of Tumblr images.

Like you said, admins are willing to step in to fix limits.

this doesn't work at all. i've tried dozens of images across 3 browsers.

every image gives me either access denied, 404 NOT FOUND, or throws me some code.

fareydoon said:
this doesn't work at all. i've tried dozens of images across 3 browsers.

every image gives me either access denied, 404 NOT FOUND, or throws me some code.

Didn't you read forum #236324 and forum #236386? Just get rid of the numbers at the start of the url so it's "media.tumblr".

Ugh, I've literally fallen into re-blog archive hell scraping all of the raw images I can that interest me before this might get removed.

Seeing the recent changes to move from ##.media to just media makes me think they are tinkering with the back end to close this off.

Genjar
Former Staff
9 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 273
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

rysyN said:
Ugh, I've literally fallen into re-blog archive hell scraping all of the raw images I can that interest me before this might get removed.

Same. Have spent too much time browsing reblogs, didn't really find many better versions. Feels like others have already been through the same blogs, repeatedly, within the past few days.

But at least I've stumbled on some forgotten gems that were never uploaded in the first place. So not a complete loss.

And yep, it definitely feels like Tumblr will patch this soon.

Dogenzaka
Privileged
9 months ago

Genjar said:
And yep, it definitely feels like Tumblr will patch this soon.

Is Tumblr taking steps already, or have they said anything about noticing what's going on?