Obtaining the highest-resolution images from Tumblr

In category: General

TL;DR if you're saving images from tumblr, change "1280" to "raw" in the url first!

If you're like me, you care about having the highest quality images (and if you're not like me, shame on you).

Tumblr is stupid and frustrating in that it resizes everything that's uploaded to it. If the filename ends in _540.png or _1280.png then you've saved a smaller, resized version instead of the original image, and that's bad. Most image downloaders are going to grab the 1280 version, because that was thought to be the biggest one available. But it turns out you can obtain the raw, unresized image by replacing the 1280 with "raw" in the filename.

Unfortunately, the 1280 version has been the 'standard' for a long time. I have a hunch most images uploaded here which come from tumblr are shrunken.

"How do you want your Tumblr pics?"

"I want them raw"

That will sound extremely stupid, but knowing that is a life changer for me - But I really don't see myself RAWing all the pictures I got from Tumblr because that is going to take forever, but I may do that for some pictures I really like

Oh heck even I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Ledian
Privileged
4 months ago
2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

Rating: Safe
Score: 12
User: Ledian
Date: September 20, 2017

holy shit. i had no idea

This is going to be a lot of work.

I wonder if there are any patreon posts that artists forgot to resize for tumblr. I checked a few and they were resized but I'm sure at least a few won't be.

leomole
Privileged
4 months ago
2014 anthro bottle bottomless cat chair clothed clothing computer desk feline fur girly headphones hoodie inside jailbird leaning leaning_back legwear liam looking_at_viewer looking_back male mammal reclining sitting smile socks solo tan_fur

Score: 117
User: Onii-chan
Date: May 09, 2014

GODDAMN IT. Someone want to write a script to compare all source:tumblr*1280 posts to their raw counterparts? Replacement is easy, just copy the original tag/source/parent fields, set the new upload as the parent of the original and flag it for deletion.

Even though it doesn't seem like it this is great news, it's actually wonderful that we're getting higher resolution images. Thank you plsignore!

Genjar
Former Staff
4 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 244
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

No need to check the ones that aren't either source:tumblr*1280 width:1280 or source:tumblr*1280 height:1280, so that'll narrow it down a bit. Still 14000 posts, though...

And since most posts aren't sourced directly to the original anyway, it might be worth checking all of source:tumblr* width:1280 and source:tumblr* height:1280. Which is a whole lot of posts. :/

Kinda glad that I haven't uploaded much from Tumblr. Even so, this'll ruin my upload/deletion ratio.

Jeez, this is a legit game changer. This means that tumblr images might actually be the best version in some circumstances.

Wait, was this EVER documented before? Even on tumblr itself? Would be good to know if the feature was recently added (and therefore posts before a specific date wouldn't have a hi res available).

Ledian
Privileged
4 months ago
2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

Score: 12
User: Ledian
Date: September 20, 2017

Ijerk said:
Wait, was this EVER documented before? Even on tumblr itself? Would be good to know if the feature was recently added (and therefore posts before a specific date wouldn't have a hi res available).

earliest images with raw version seems to be from 2013. when i tried with some images from 2012, i got error message.

edit: okay so image posted on december 13 2012 gave me the raw image without issues but image posted on two days earlier and everything before that gave me error message instead

Dogenzaka
Privileged
4 months ago

Genjar said:
No need to check the ones that aren't either source:tumblr*1280 width:1280 or source:tumblr*1280 height:1280, so that'll narrow it down a bit. Still 14000 posts, though...

And since most posts aren't sourced directly to the post anyway, it might be worth checking all of source:tumblr* width:1280 and source:tumblr* height:1280. Which is a whole lot of posts. :/

The height resize actually caps out at 1920 it seems.

plsignore said:
Unfortunately, the 1280 version has been the 'standard' for a long time. I have a hunch most images uploaded here which come from tumblr are shrunken.

...you are got to be fucking shitting me. I actually tried to search about this for long time, but every single site always told that _1280 is only highest quality version. This is actually pretty huge game changer.

I did know that with videos you actually had to remove that part completely to not get capped at 720p or 480p.

I have updated my sweet wiki page to reflect this. https://e926.net/wiki/show/howto:sites_and_sources#tumblr

Ledian said:
earliest images with raw version seems to be from 2013. when i tried with some images from 2012, i got error message.

edit: okay so image posted on december 13 2012 gave me the raw image without issues but image posted on two days earlier and everything before that gave me error message instead

I guess this helps a bit that now only 80% of images need replacing instead of 90% I guess :|

Also artists who have relied on sites downscaling their content for them, especially if they have patreon, rip I guess.

Dogenzaka said:
The height resize actually caps out at 1920 it seems.

Yes. 1280x1920, whichever dimension comes first.

Mario69 said:
I have updated my sweet wiki page to reflect this. https://e926.net/wiki/show/howto:sites_and_sources#tumblr

You probably ought to update the table too, it still says that tumblr's max resolution is 1280×1920.

How do I determine if the raw is JPG or PNG if the 1280 link was JPG?

Edit: I tried a raw.png on a JPG and got "AccessDeniedAccess Denied". So I haven't fucked up just yet.

Edit 2: Check out how the pixellated speckling pops out on this one.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/8ce3f760a5c8259b29eb4fb4787fc4d9/tumblr_inline_oc0zn5zAfV1qlqtgz_1280.jpg
http://68.media.tumblr.com/8ce3f760a5c8259b29eb4fb4787fc4d9/tumblr_inline_oc0zn5zAfV1qlqtgz_raw.jpg

Also, it appears that raw images can be found even if the Tumblr post that had them was deleted. As long as you have the direct image link.

Edit 3: Slight blurriness melts away from 1.6% increase in dimensions:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/3b0511edc585227d3ac0f6584180d090/tumblr_oej3g5s6Df1rod6vmo1_1280.png
http://68.media.tumblr.com/3b0511edc585227d3ac0f6584180d090/tumblr_oej3g5s6Df1rod6vmo1_raw.png

Lance_Armstrong said:
How do I determine if the raw is JPG or PNG if the 1280 link was JPG?

You just replace the "1280" with "raw", you keep the same extension.

Lance_Armstrong said:
Edit 2: Check out how the pixellated speckling pops out on this one.

Is there a way to be sure whether the "pixellated speckling" is how the original file was saved, and that the compression from the 1280 version merely masked it?

JAKXXX3 said:
Is there a way to be sure whether the "pixellated speckling" is how the original file was saved, and that the compression from the 1280 version merely masked it?

It should be obvious. Edit 3 shows an even more blatant example of how an original image lost detail. It gained file size from being downsized and made blurry!

Add: elpatrixf may have some larger tumblr images but the original tumblr was deleted so the direct URLs are needed. This could apply to other artists. Everyone should add the tumblr post link and the direct link to the source field.

Lance_Armstrong said:
It should be obvious. Edit 3 shows an even more blatant example of how an original image lost detail. It gained file size from being downsized and made blurry!

Oh, I didn't see the third edit when I replied. I wasn't sure if you meant the "pixellated speckling" was a good thing or not.

leomole
Privileged
4 months ago
2014 anthro bottle bottomless cat chair clothed clothing computer desk feline fur girly headphones hoodie inside jailbird leaning leaning_back legwear liam looking_at_viewer looking_back male mammal reclining sitting smile socks solo tan_fur

Score: 117
User: Onii-chan
Date: May 09, 2014

This is madness. Tumblr and FA need to stop resizing things.

leomole said:
This is madness. Tumblr and FA need to stop resizing things.

Now that this workaround has been discovered there will be years of ongoing cleanup work as users continue to upload the 1280 images.

This might be the most consequential e621 forum thread of 2017.

Lance_Armstrong said:
Now that this workaround has been discovered there will be years of ongoing cleanup work as users continue to upload the 1280 images.

This might be the most consequential e621 forum thread of 2017.

Could it be possible to implement a script that makes it so when users try to url upload 1280 images, it uploads the raw version instead?

I modified a Greasemonkey script to redirect tumblr image links to the raw version, you can install it into your browser if you'd prefer to only see raw images from now on: https://ghostbin.com/paste/h3c6f

JAKXXX3 said:
Could it be possible to implement a script that makes it so when users try to url upload 1280 images, it uploads the raw version instead?

It won't be used by too many. Maybe if e621 checked Upload by URL links for a larger raw version of a 1280 tumblr link, and then added a warning, the problem could be mitigated.

Actually, since every 1280 link has a raw link, e621 could just replace "1280" with "raw" before grabbing an image. I now have THREE feature suggestions for the Upload page so I will post a thread.

Lance_Armstrong said:
It won't be used by too many. Maybe if e621 checked Upload by URL links for a larger raw version of a 1280 tumblr link, and then added a warning, the problem could be mitigated.

Actually, since every 1280 link has a raw link, e621 could just replace "1280" with "raw" before grabbing an image. I now have THREE feature suggestions for the Upload page so I will post a thread.

You ought to make sure to suggest to replace "_1280." with "_raw.", just in case of the rare scenario where "1280" shows up elsewhere in the url.

I am having issues with some Tumblrs, those that use fancy scripts and themes. There is no way for me to grab the image without it using the inline URL and simply removing that term doesn't work. Example here http://krykyky.tumblr.com/post/160592292476

Only a 500px can be retrieved from it even though a 1280px one was available from the dashboard, but now that the post is too old to show on my dashboard, I have no clue how I can get the full link at all.

... Alright I have no clue what's going on, I tried to change the 500 number to 1280 and the picture simply refused to change sizes before, but now it seems to work just fine

..... However https://vcrow-shuu.tumblr.com/post/156840028827 is showing this exact problem. Changing the number to 1280 doesn't change anything for me despite having uploaded the 1280px one before post #1128825

Neitsuke said:
I am having issues with some Tumblrs, those that use fancy scripts and themes. There is no way for me to grab the image without it using the inline URL and simply removing that term doesn't work. Example here http://krykyky.tumblr.com/post/160592292476

Here's the raw url.

Neitsuke said:
..... However https://vcrow-shuu.tumblr.com/post/156840028827 is showing this exact problem. Changing the number to 1280 doesn't change anything for me despite having uploaded the 1280px one before post #1128825

I'm not sure about this one, is it possible that the post itself was edited? Either way, it appears as though you can find a higher resolution on pixiv anyway.

Higher resolution but the goods are behind bars, which isn't a very pleasant sight

One tip: If an old source link doesn't work, try changing the subdomain to "68.media"

It is already using this subdomain.

I still have the files on my PC and the names are
tumblr_inline_okwgdgeUdr1tefumh_1280
tumblr_inline_okwgdtKU0g1tefumh_1280

And the present URLs don't match up with these anymore.

My only guess is for some, weird reason, he decided to change the files to lower resolution ones, or Tumblr's just being a jerk

Jugofthat
Privileged
4 months ago
2016 <3 ambiguous_gender anthro blonde_hair blush brown_hair cat clothed clothing covering cute english_text feline hair hands_behind_back humor looking_at_viewer mammal multicolored_hair open_mouth pants powfooo powfooo_(character) reaction_image shirt shocked simple_background solo sweat tears text two_tone_hair white_background wide_eyed

Score: 149
User: Jugofthat
Date: June 04, 2016

Oh lawd, this is gonna wreck my upload/deletion ratio, in fact it's already started. D:

Still, guess it's worth it for having the highest res uploads. Good find.