I had two of my drawings taken down?

In category: General

Two of my pieces were taken down and I can't seem to find anything explaining why. Afaik they followed the site's guidelines and were getting upvoted/favourited. Should I just reupload?

https://e926.net/post/deleted_index?user_id=102180

They were deleted because they don't meet the minimum quality standards we expect for our posts. Reuploading them will just get them deleted again and you will receive a record for uploading previously-deleted content.

Whether or not something gets voted on or favorited plays no part in deletions.

Find the removed images by searching these terms:

user:MarshmallowPon3 status:any

Click on the deleted thumbnails, and on the top it will tell you who deleted it. You can then send a message to them with the post number and ask the exact reason why it was removed.

Whoops some people beat me to it, lol.

well, without injecting bias into this opinion, i've found that reuploading deleted work will lead you to be punished. it would be best to ask the deleter themselves, and see what adjustments you can make to your work.

these discussions of minimum quality standards tend to be cyclical, as they are asked so often. personally, i'd enjoy more work like the following:

anthro black_and_white caprine disney doll fan_character frown male mammal monochrome pack_street remmy_cormo sheep simple_background solo the_weaver white_background zootopia

Rating: Safe
Score: 7
User: Corniscopic
Date: April 04, 2017

I don't understand, how do they not meet the minimum quality standards? I have seen so much lower quality content uploaded- Hell even by me! I'm very confused.

As such, quite a few of your other posts have been deleted as well.

Older content is grandfathered as we had different quality standards back some time ago. The posts are otherwise lacking artistically, mainly with anatomy. Older posts were kept because of age.

Ratte said:
https://e926.net/post/deleted_index?user_id=102180

They were deleted because they don't meet the minimum quality standards we expect for our posts. Reuploading them will just get them deleted again and you will receive a record for uploading previously-deleted content.

Whether or not something gets voted on or favorited plays no part in deletions.

Can you please explain why it did not meet minimum quality standards, and how images such as the above posted by fewrahuxo do?

Ratte said:

Older content is grandfathered as we had different quality standards back some time ago. The posts are otherwise lacking artistically, mainly with anatomy. Older posts were kept because of age.

That makes me very sad, I liked posting here. :(

MarshmallowPon3 said:
Can you please explain why it did not meet minimum quality standards, and how images such as the above posted by fewrahuxo do?

The anatomy in your images is blobby and strangely defined. I can't tell where the knees are supposed to be, the hands are two different sizes, one arm is longer than the other, the righthand thumb seems broken or stuck in a strange position, one breast is situated weirdly high compared to the other, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be standing or laying down. In the NSFW version the genitals seem to be rotated to point upward, defying gravity.

Weaver's work is very minimalist, but otherwise things are in the right place and make sense visually.

Ratte said:
The anatomy in your images is blobby and strangely defined. I can't tell where the knees are supposed to be, the hands are two different sizes, one arm is longer than the other, the righthand thumb seems broken or stuck in a strange position, one breast is situated weirdly high compared to the other, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be standing or laying down. In the NSFW version the genitals seem to be rotated to point upward, defying gravity.

Weaver's work is very minimalist, but otherwise things are in the right place and make sense visually.

The genitals are pointed upward because that is how sheaths work. character is slouched on their side essentially leaning on their shoulder and right arm. In any case did it really warrant taking down nearly every piece I've posted recently? I'm honestly pretty hurt...

The specific piece you're referring to I'd argue is simply a stylized picture and the blobbyness is said style. If you look at other pieces I've done they've not been blobby, and it was only blobby for a unique stylistic taste.

MarshmallowPon3 said:
The genitals are pointed upward because that is how sheaths work. character is slouched on their side essentially leaning on their shoulder and right arm. In any case did it really warrant taking down nearly every piece I've posted recently? I'm honestly pretty hurt...

The specific piece you're referring to I'd argue is simply a stylized picture and the blobbyness is said style. If you look at other pieces I've done they've not been blobby, and it was only blobby for a unique stylistic taste.

The testicles are pointed out instead of down, thus defying gravity.

Let's not go with the "it's my style" excuse. You won't like where it ends.

Ratte said:
The testicles are pointed out instead of down, thus defying gravity.

Let's not go with the "it's my style" excuse. You won't like where it ends.

Alright, I'm severely disappointed though. I'm sad that e621's standards now effectively kills off new artists. :(

BlueDingo
Privileged
2 months ago

SquishyPinkKitty said:
Alright, I'm severely disappointed though. I'm sad that e621's standards now effectively kills off new artists. :(

Kills off? You make it sound like e621 is the only place they can upload their artwork.

BlueDingo said:
Kills off? You make it sound like e621 is the only place they can upload their artwork.

Kills off new artists in the context of this website. Sorry, didn't mean to imply in general or anything!

SquishyPinkKitty said:

They can post to dedicated gallery sites like FurAffinity and DeviantArt, which lack quality standards. We are not a gallery site, we are an archive.

SquishyPinkKitty said:

This is not an artist-focused site, its an art-focused site. There is a big distinction.

Interestingly, to me, almost every complaint we get on the forum can be traced back to this distinction. Minimum quality standards? Yup. TWYS policy based on the concept of "death of the author"? Yup. People uploading work that isn't their own? Yup.

Lately we're getting one of these threads every few days on average.
Maybe there should be a sticky addressing it?

Ratte said:

Classy.

Beanjam said:
Classy.

They were deleted before either of our responses, and mostly by another administrator.

Clawdragons said:
This is not an artist-focused site, its an art-focused site. There is a big distinction.

Interestingly, to me, almost every complaint we get on the forum can be traced back to this distinction. Minimum quality standards? Yup. TWYS policy based on the concept of "death of the author"? Yup. People uploading work that isn't their own? Yup.

Which is understandable! I, of course, feel personally that much of my new art actually was of acceptable quality (considering at least a number of people favourited it) but I understand that I kind of used the site incorrectly as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my art, specifically newer art, wasn't removed necessarily because of quality and more so because I actually uploaded all of my art personally. If this is the case though I really would have appreciated just being told that directly not to upload my own art and use e621 as a platform to get noticed.

MarshmallowPon3 said:
Which is understandable! I, of course, feel personally that much of my new art actually was of acceptable quality (considering at least a number of people favourited it) but I understand that I kind of used the site incorrectly as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my art, specifically newer art, wasn't removed necessarily because of quality and more so because I actually uploaded all of my art personally. If this is the case though I really would have appreciated just being told that directly not to upload my own art and use e621 as a platform to get noticed.

It had everything to do with quality and absolutely nothing to do with who uploaded what. People upload their own work all the time-- this is acceptable and even encouraged for those with high-quality art to share.

It does not matter if someone upvotes or favorite your posts. This has no say whatsoever in whether or not those posts will be deleted.

MarshmallowPon3 said:

i highly doubt that's the case here.

Ratte said:
It had everything to do with quality and absolutely nothing to do with who uploaded what. People upload their own work all the time-- this is acceptable and even encouraged for those with high-quality art to share.

It does not matter if someone upvotes or favorite your posts. This has no say whatsoever in whether or not those posts will be deleted.

I am not arguing that people upvoting or favouriting my posts does matter. I'm simply stating that it means that to some group of people my art is of acceptable quality, not that it is in the minds of the staff here. Or should have any impact on your decision to remove it*

i think you should be proud to have the rest of your art approved. some artists get bagged on the spot.

anthro blush breasts duo feline female hair long_hair male male/female mammal pink_hair small_breasts squishy_kitty_(artist)

Score: 3
User: MarshmallowPon3
Date: May 18, 2017

fewrahuxo said:
i think you should be proud to have the rest of your art approved. some artists get bagged on the spot.

anthro blush breasts duo feline female hair long_hair male male/female mammal pink_hair small_breasts squishy_kitty_(artist)

Score: 3
User: MarshmallowPon3
Date: May 18, 2017

Certainly, it's just a little confusing that I was able to get by for so long. Especially if you look at some of my really old mlp art! The worst thing for me is I had art that is of the same line art quality and colouring with at worst very minor anatomy issues as the one you linked here and yet it was removed to. The one of two Siamese cats.

MarshmallowPon3 said:
[...]

well, you know what they say: most artists hate their old work, and the rest are liars. it so happens that art is in the eye of the beholder, often, and on a booru like this you have to meet the standards of the approvers, who are often experienced artists in themselves.

so if Ratte is telling you about anatomy, a sore spot for many artists and the go-to complaint for many critics, perhaps it would do one some pleasure to bone up on it. figure drawing doesn't have to be boring, though if you tell me how to stop it from being boring, i'd be happy to learn.

fewrahuxo said:

I definitely recognize anatomy as a sore spot for me when it comes to my art, but I really didn't think it was at such a low level that it is not allowed on this site essentially and I actually have been doing figure drawing.. I think there was a pretty obvious up in quality of my anatomy not too long ago.

SquishyPinkKitty said:
[...]

if you happen to be rejected, you must understand it isn't because you're a bad artist. there are many works that i enjoy which are deleted a few hours later, yours included. the same for many other artists who aren't appreciated by the booru's fans because it doesn't fit the type of art they're typically used to seeing; the median score of my favourites is seven.

the most practical reason you were rejected is because you didn't please the approver who went over your art, and approvers don't typically justify their reasoning unless they're asked. the best thing you can do is keep posting new work, as it is clear you are going to be a good artist, even if the audience will not appreciate that.

Ijerk said:
Lately we're getting one of these threads every few days on average.
Maybe there should be a sticky addressing it?

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think a sticky would do anything, but I could be wrong.