Furgonomics

In category: Tag/Wiki Projects and Questions

I feel the furgonomics terminology needs to be expanded a bit. Currently only furry-specific piercings and tail clothing have their own tags (and imply furgonomics) while digitigrade footwear, headwear with ear/horn holes, etc. don't have tags yet.

5_fingers anthro bleatley blue_fur boots broadsword canine cargo_pants claws clothed clothing cloud_windpaw_omega footwear fully_clothed fur furgonomics green_eyes green_fur holding_object holding_weapon jacket looking_at_viewer male mammal melee_weapon pants solo sword thumb_in_pocket weapon wolf yellow_fur

Rating: Safe
Score: 1
User: cloud8521
Date: December 23, 20162016 armor big_eyes big_head brown_eyebrows brown_fur brown_markings brown_nose cheek_tuft chest_tuft colored cute digital_drawing_(artwork) digital_media_(artwork) eyewear frown fur goggles half-closed_eyes headshot_portrait headwear helmet inner_ear_fluff league_of_legends looking_at_viewer male mammal markings multicolored_fur portrait red_eyes red_fur riot_games side_view signature simple_background sketch solo tan_fur teemo_(lol) toony toothpick tuft two_tone_fur veigar-chan video_games white_background yordle

Score: 2
User: DerWildeNick
Date: August 26, 20162017 anthro beverage blue_hair blue_scales chibity clothed clothing coffee computer desk detailed_background dragon hair horn keyboard male membranous_wings morning pants scales scalie scribble_dragon shirt sitting solo tired wings

Score: 5
User: Pepperyena
Date: February 16, 2017

How should we handle these, create descriptive tags for each or a set of more generic furgonomic_* tags? Simply searching something like furgonomics footwear leads to many results not containing the furgonomic thing of choice.

Temp sets with other examples:

Another problem is that its hard to wear headphones when your ears are on the top of your head. Not very furgonomic i would say

Htess
4 days ago
anthro dragon fur htess htess_(artist) hybrid male reptile scales scalie sergal simple_background slit_pupils solo

Score: 2
User: Htess
Date: July 05, 2016

Furrykitten34 said:
Another problem is that its hard to wear headphones when your ears are on the top of your head. Not very furgonomic i would say

seconded!!!!

@Furrykitten34, Htess:
anthro big_head border cat chair clothed clothing comic countershading dialogue doing_it_wrong feline fur furgonomics grey_fur headphones humor inside mammal mrfarrow profanity the_truth toony topless white_border window yellow_eyes

Score: 61
User: Bed_Head
Date: October 18, 2016

How should we handle these, create descriptive tags for each or a set of more generic furgonomic_* tags?

Well if I were to search for an image, the likely terms would be:
1. headwear (armored or not) with ear holes
2. tail-specific features like prominent tailholes.
3. headphones near creature's ears, see image above
4. uhm
5. erm
6. footwear maybe if it's weird enough to notice

So I would rather keep dedicated tags for 1, 2 and 6, and dump everything else into furgonomics. I don't think I would ever search furgo_armor instead of "tailhole armor" or "earholes armor".

hslugs said:
@Furrykitten34, Htess:
anthro big_head border cat chair clothed clothing comic countershading dialogue doing_it_wrong feline fur furgonomics grey_fur headphones humor inside mammal mrfarrow profanity the_truth toony topless white_border window yellow_eyes

Score: 61
User: Bed_Head
Date: October 18, 2016

Well if I were to search for an image, the likely terms would be:
1. headwear (armored or not) with ear holes
2. tail-specific features like prominent tailholes.
3. headphones near creature's ears, see image above
4. uhm
5. erm
6. footwear maybe if it's weird enough to notice

So I would rather keep dedicated tags for 1, 2 and 6, and dump everything else into furgonomics. I don't think I would ever search furgo_armor instead of "tailhole armor" or "earholes armor".

Bear in mind that those furgo_* search terms are the short names of temporary sets created to show more examples of what I'm talking about. They're not tag name suggestions.

BlueDingo said:
Bear in mind that those furgo_* search terms are the short names of temporary sets created to show more examples of what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I got that. The point is that I would more likely search for particular memorable features of clothing (or armor) like earholes, tailholes, or maybe the tail pant thingy. And not just for the fact that the clothing was furgonomic.

That is one way to handle it, but which terms do you use? tailhole is currently aliased to anus due to the way people used it, and unaliasing it might end up bringing that old issue back. earholes may be misinterpreted for holes in a character's ear (be it a flesh tunnel or the one leading to their eardrum).

Something like multi_arm_clothing or digitigrade_footwear might work. There are some preexisting tags that may be related to this (eg. animal_hat) that will need to be looked at as well.

BlueDingo said:
That is one way to handle it, but which terms do you use?

Good question. I didn't even check what tailhole is being used for. Current tail_clothing is probably ok, my only concern is that it may be taken to mean only 2 and 3, as opposed to 1, 2 and maybe 3 here:

2007 anthro beach belt canine clothed clothing crying footwear fox fully_clothed fur furgonomics gloves_(marking) hat jeans kacey landscape male mammal markings outside pants rear_view red_fur rock sea seaside shirt shoes sky solo standing steve_foxx tail_clothing tears water whiskers

Score: 17
User: stranger_furry
Date: June 20, 2012 2011 abstract_background anole anthro blue_anole breasts cargo_pants clothing cute drugs eliza_(vader-san) female fingerless_gloves furgonomics gloves lizard pants rear_view reptile scalie smile solo standing tail_button_bottoms tail_clothing thick_tail vader-san

Score: 100
User: ippiki_ookami
Date: March 18, 2011 4_toes aerobics belt bottomless bracelet chakat clothed clothing dancing female furgonomics jewelry kacey leg_warmers legwear shirt solo tail_clothing tail_warmer taur toes

Score: 14
User: TFC0234
Date: March 28, 2013

Doesn't seem to be a problem in practice, tail_clothing gets used for the hole-only design quite often.

For the headwear, ear_holes maybe? Except it's not always holes.

5_fingers animal_helmet anthro armband armor belt belt_pouch canine clothed clothing dog eyewear fangs female front_view frown fully_clothed fur furgonomics green_eyes green_hair hair half-length_portrait hand_on_hip helmet holster humanoid_hands looking_at_viewer mammal mascot microphone orange_fur outstretched_arm pants police police_uniform portrait short_hair solo standing sunglasses tewatasanaiinu uniform wokada wristwatch

Score: 5
User: BlueDingo
Date: February 24, 2017 2016 :3 ambiguous_gender astronaut cat clothed clothing digital_media_(artwork) eyes_closed feline feral fully_clothed gravewalker grey_background half-length_portrait mammal paws pink_nose portrait signature simple_background solo spacesuit whiskers

Score: 15
User: TonyLemur
Date: February 18, 2016

Then again, maybe keep ear_holes for actual holes and tag rare stuff like that with generic furgonomics.

Footwear is difficult. The most memorable ones imo aren't even digitigrade, but unguligrade.

2015 absurd_res alternate_species amber_eyes anthro anthrofied apple_bloom_(mlp) clothing dancing duo equine female friendship_is_magic hair hair_bow hair_ribbon hi_res horse human humanized mammal my_little_pony mykegreywolf pony pose red_hair ribbons

Score: 11
User: 2DUK
Date: May 23, 2015

Ruku
4 days ago

id be careful of using any form of ear holes as a new tag, as the singular form is actually used for animals that dont have external ears and only have a visible hole in the side of the head to the eardrum.

earhole

hslugs said:
Good question. I didn't even check what tailhole is being used for. Current tail_clothing is probably ok, my only concern is that it may be taken to mean only 2 and 3, as opposed to 1, 2 and maybe 3 here:

2007 anthro beach belt canine clothed clothing crying footwear fox fully_clothed fur furgonomics gloves_(marking) hat jeans kacey landscape male mammal markings outside pants rear_view red_fur rock sea seaside shirt shoes sky solo standing steve_foxx tail_clothing tears water whiskers

Score: 17
User: stranger_furry
Date: June 20, 2012 2011 abstract_background anole anthro blue_anole breasts cargo_pants clothing cute drugs eliza_(vader-san) female fingerless_gloves furgonomics gloves lizard pants rear_view reptile scalie smile solo standing tail_button_bottoms tail_clothing thick_tail vader-san

Score: 100
User: ippiki_ookami
Date: March 18, 2011 4_toes aerobics belt bottomless bracelet chakat clothed clothing dancing female furgonomics jewelry kacey leg_warmers legwear shirt solo tail_clothing tail_warmer taur toes

Score: 14
User: TFC0234
Date: March 28, 2013

Doesn't seem to be a problem in practice, tail_clothing gets used for the hole-only design quite often.

Example 3 has a more specific tag for it: tail_warmer. I think tail_button_bottoms is supposed to cover example 1. Would something like tail_sleeve work for example 2?

tail_band (example 2), tail_ring and other tail-based objects should imply furgonomics, or possibly tail_accessory then furgonomics.

BlueDingo said:
Example 3 has a more specific tag for it: tail_warmer.

Well yeah, actually I think that image maybe shouldn't be tagged tail_clothing at all, only tail_warmer.

How will users understand and use tail_clothing? Pants designed to accommodate tail by any means including a simple hole (1), or pants at least partially covering tail (2), or any piece of clothing covering tail even if it's not pants (3)? I'd rather have it as (1) and (2) but not (3).

tail_sleeve sounds like a good idea for (2) and similar designs. I had no idea tail_button_bottoms exists, and probably wouldn't use it for (1) because there's no buttons there. Looks like just a hole.

tail_accessory sounds good for bands, but I'm not sure it should imply furgonomics. Bands are just bands. Piercings too btw. Furry or not, piercings are often anti-ergonomic.

hslugs said:
Well yeah, actually I think that image maybe shouldn't be tagged tail_clothing at all, only tail_warmer.

Then again, arm_warmers and leg_warmers are currently considered clothing. I'd say tail warmers are as much clothing as those two.

hslugs said:
How will users understand and use tail_clothing? Pants designed to accommodate tail by any means including a simple hole (1), or pants at least partially covering tail (2), or any piece of clothing covering tail even if it's not pants (3)? I'd rather have it as (1) and (2) but not (3).

At the moment, it's used for any clothing designed to cover or accommodate a tail. That covers all three of those.

hslugs said:
tail_sleeve sounds like a good idea for (2) and similar designs. I had no idea tail_button_bottoms exists, and probably wouldn't use it for (1) because there's no buttons there. Looks like just a hole.

tailhole_bottoms may be more accurate, but that might run into the "tailhole = anus" problem.

hslugs said:
tail_accessory sounds good for bands, but I'm not sure it should imply furgonomics. Bands are just bands. Piercings too btw. Furry or not, piercings are often anti-ergonomic.

True, but the furgonomics tag in general doesn't really relate to ergonomics, which is the study of people's efficiency in their working environment.

FibS
3 days ago

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ergonomics

: an applied science concerned with designing and arranging things people use so that the people and things interact most efficiently and safely —called also biotechnology, human engineering, human factors
: the design characteristics of an object resulting especially from the application of the science of ergonomics

"Furgonomics" implies to me that human-styled clothing or technology has been altered for furry-specific anatomy and therefore convenience, comfort, or efficiency.

Examples from my artwork:

Examples from my imagination:

• Shirts or coats that account for wings
  • A computer that can be used by a harpy or wyvern
  • A car that can be driven by a lamia or mermaid
  • A weapon wielded on the tail