Sorry if this sounds off topic
but I just bought a new gamer PC
and the game Stories the Path of Destinies
but it chugs in the high settings and feel kinda slow,
not as smooth looking, like the PC LPs I see on Youtube.

Heres my PC and the game specs

Game: Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 3770 3.4 GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
My Pc: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 cpu @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz

Game: Memory: 8 GB RAM
My Pc: 16 GB RAM

Game: Graphics: GeForce GTX 770, GPU Radeon HD 7870
My Pc: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Just wondering what is the issue as I'm not a pc expert and I can't tell
what the issue is.

stalkerd said:
Sorry if this sounds off topic
but I just bought a new gamer PC
and the game Stories the Path of Destinies
but it chugs in the high settings and feel kinda slow,
not as smooth looking, like the PC LPs I see on Youtube.

Heres my PC and the game specs

Game: Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 3770 3.4 GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
My Pc: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 cpu @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz

Game: Memory: 8 GB RAM
My Pc: 16 GB RAM

Game: Graphics: GeForce GTX 770, GPU Radeon HD 7870
My Pc: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Just wondering what is the issue as I'm not a pc expert and I can't tell
what the issue is.

reading some of the reviews, apparently the game has bad optimization so you may need to turn down a couple of graphical settings to make it run smoother.

Coffey25 said:
reading some of the reviews, apparently the game has bad optimization so you may need to turn down a couple of graphical settings to make it run smoother.

Odd...
well it runs "Good" to OK when everything is set on low or medium...
while playing it in 1280X720.
but it looks very bland and bright and the shadows are gone.
Odd as I got the pc this year the latest desktop game pc,
the the game is a year old.
so you think it can run it in max settings with like no issues.

stalkerd said:
Odd...
well it runs "Good" to OK when everything is set on low or medium...
while playing it in 1280X720.
but it looks very bland and bright and the shadows are gone.
Odd as I got the pc this year the latest desktop game pc,
the the game is a year old.
so you think it can run it in max settings with like no issues.

I know Anti Aliasing tends to eat up more video ram than one would think. I know that's the case with GTA V and Saint's Row 2 or 3 with me, since I have a GTX 1050 2GB edition and those games eat up most of my vRAM, GTA V even eating up all but 1mb of vRAM from my GPU, even with Anti Aliasing being off.

BlueDingo
Privileged
8 days ago
2016 5_fingers anthro black_fur black_hair black_nose black_topwear bust_portrait clothed clothing cute detailed digital_media_(artwork) dress_shirt elegant fangs flower front_view fur grey_eyes grey_topwear hair holding_flower holding_object inner_ear_fluff jacket jamesfoxbr male mammal necktie pattern_clothing plant portrait rose shirt short_hair simple_background smile solo star_eyes striped_clothing striped_shirt suit waistcoat white_fur

Rating: Safe
Score: 2
User: jamesfoxbr
Date: October 29, 2016

Coffey25 said:
I know Anti Aliasing tends to eat up more video ram than one would think. I know that's the case with GTA V and Saint's Row 2 or 3 with me, since I have a GTX 1050 2GB edition and those games eat up most of my vRAM, GTA V even eating up all but 1mb of vRAM from my GPU, even with Anti Aliasing being off.

You don't really need anti-aliasing once the resolution is above a certain point anyway. You're better off not turning it on.

Coffey25 said:

Yeah I turn that off no clue if it help or not,
still it chugs a bit when the shadows is set on high
and on medium it feels slow...

So yeah I have to play it on a mixer of medium and low settings
mostly low.

Funny as the resident evil 7 demo runs well on medium.

JoeX
8 days ago
alexander_nanitchkov arthropod claws crab creepy crustacean decapodian doctor_zoidberg futurama humanoid male marine nightmare_fuel realistic solo starfish tentacles what

Score: 20
User: SerathDarklands
Date: May 04, 2012

Well, I was going to buy Battlefront 2. Looks like that’s going to change.
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/12/eas-defense-of-star-wars-battlefront-ii-is-now-reddits-most-downvoted-comment/
That comment is now at -145,000 points and counting. Bloody hell, EA.

JoeX
7 days ago
alexander_nanitchkov arthropod claws crab creepy crustacean decapodian doctor_zoidberg futurama humanoid male marine nightmare_fuel realistic solo starfish tentacles what

Score: 20
User: SerathDarklands
Date: May 04, 2012

JoeX said:
Well, I was going to buy Battlefront 2. Looks like that’s going to change.
https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/12/eas-defense-of-star-wars-battlefront-ii-is-now-reddits-most-downvoted-comment/
That comment is now at -145,000 points and counting. Bloody hell, EA.

It is now at -427,000 points. Holy fucking shit.

stalkerd said:
Yeah I turn that off no clue if it help or not,
still it chugs a bit when the shadows is set on high
and on medium it feels slow...

So yeah I have to play it on a mixer of medium and low settings
mostly low.

Funny as the resident evil 7 demo runs well on medium.

turn off vsync too. if you don't mind Reboot graphics there's turnig shading off too.

kamimatsu said:
turn off vsync too. if you don't mind Reboot graphics there's turnig shading off too.

Turn off vsync?
Stories on PC don't have that feature.

furballs_dc said:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22miiverse%22

Wow.

this is nice, the moment it was confirmed that Miiverse was shutting down people were good enough to back up the entire site. Shame about Sm4sh losing messaging functionality, among other things, couldn't have been prevented for some reason...

stalkerd said:
Turn off vsync?
Stories on PC don't have that feature.

there's a file in the game's %LOCALAPPDATA%\Stories\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\ directory called "Engine.ini", if you try to hit Ctrl+F and type "r.VSync", and if it has a 1 on it, set it to 0 to turn it off.

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games

Super Mario Odyssey™ Demo for KIOSK
Title id: 01001E5006C6E000

The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild Demo for KIOSK
tid: 0100509005AF2000

Interesting, wonder how they got the title ids for kiosk demos. For the retail games/demos, the parental app is used.

Edit:

News Wave! - Massive Backlash Sends EA Scrambling And Phoenix Wright Coming To Switch?

Coffey25 said:
this is nice, the moment it was confirmed that Miiverse was shutting down people were good enough to back up the entire site. Shame about Sm4sh losing messaging functionality, among other things, couldn't have been prevented for some reason...

there's a file in the game's %LOCALAPPDATA%\Stories\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\ directory called "Engine.ini", if you try to hit Ctrl+F and type "r.VSync", and if it has a 1 on it, set it to 0 to turn it off.

I can't find that file I'm playing the steam version.

furballs_dc said:
Edit:

News Wave! - Massive Backlash Sends EA Scrambling And Phoenix Wright Coming To Switch?

I'm being told that EA removed the "Refund" button from their website and you now have to call into their customer support line to ask for a refund.

From their historically downvoted reddit post, it's clear they have a lot to learn about becoming a scumbag F2P publisher. But if the refund button thing is true, then it's clear that they are learning. I can't be arsed to find out for myself because I'm a snooty indie gamer these days. :P Also because the recent mass-adoption of F2P mechanics into premium-priced AAA games makes my blood boil more than enough without intentionally getting closer to the material.

stalkerd said:
I can't find that file I'm playing the steam version.

well then if that's the case, then you would need to right click the game on Steam, click on properties, click on the local files tab, then click on the "browse local files". See if the engine.ini file is located in that directory. I don't have the game, but I know that all of the game's files would be located in the install folder for the game on Steam,even deluxe edition/special edition soundtracks would be located within that directory oddly...

Coffey25 said:
well then if that's the case, then you would need to right click the game on Steam, click on properties, click on the local files tab, then click on the "browse local files". See if the engine.ini file is located in that directory. I don't have the game, but I know that all of the game's files would be located in the install folder for the game on Steam,even deluxe edition/special edition soundtracks would be located within that directory oddly...

I looked everywhere and still nothing and even try to search for it
odd maybe the steam version is built differently?

stalkerd said:
I looked everywhere and still nothing and even try to search for it
odd maybe the steam version is built differently?

have you tried searching for engine.ini on the hard drive you installed the game on? that could help, but make sure you don't edit anything that isn't in the steam folders or the appdata folders

Coffey25 said:
have you tried searching for engine.ini on the hard drive you installed the game on? that could help, but make sure you don't edit anything that isn't in the steam folders or the appdata folders

Yup did that too
not anywhere...
Never mind found it, it was in another hard-drive.
odd yeah I install steam and the game in my d drive
but the save file is in the C drive
and I don't see the sync thing in there

stalkerd said:
Yup did that too
not anywhere...
Never mind found it, it was in another hard-drive.
odd yeah I install steam and the game in my d drive
but the save file is in the C drive
and I don't see the sync thing in there

This is proper behaviour.

Game files, configuration files and game save data should always be saved on seperate locations, where game data is at selected usually high volume drive where it can be installed and deleted whenever and used by whoever, configuration files somwhere where it doesn't matter even if they get deleted and are user specific (%APPDATA%, %LOCALAPPADA%, HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and saves somewhere where they are hard to get lost and are user specific (Documents, Saved games, sometimes %APPDATA%, Steam userdata).

Of course there are some games which completely and utterly disregard any kind of thinking and just dumb everything on game install folder and then everything gets lost once game is uninstalled...

%STUFF% is windows variable, so you should be able to access the folder by simply copy-pasting that to either windows search or windows explorer. In this case, copy-pasting %LOCALAPPDATA%\Stories\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\ should always get you to right location and I can confirm this is correct config location to Stories. Windows variables as well as your own user folders can easily be moved to another drive (hence why they are variables and not hard fixed paths) if you wish so and symbolic links are also a thing, that's why my desktop, downloads, documents, etc. folders are under X:\ instead of C:\Users\User\

Here's some information how to mess around with settings: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Stories:_The_Path_of_Destinies
So to disable vsync, open up Engine.ini with preferred text editor (notepad works) and add in (it's not there by default) the following at the bottom and save:

[SystemSettings]
r.VSync=0

As for PC version looking bad and working bad... I can confirm this is pretty much the case. I have actually been in contact with devs as the PS4 copy looks and plays insanely much better regardless of what I do and I do have high end gaming system. Especially the shadows are just awful mush. Here's direct quote I got from them couple months back:

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the very detailed feedback.

Indeed, we definitely need to do a pass on the game shadows and I have added that to our backlog.

We are sorry for the troubles it may create while you are experiencing the game.

We plan to look at all the optimisation that needs to be made on Stories by the end of the year.

BlueDingo said:
You don't really need anti-aliasing once the resolution is above a certain point anyway. You're better off not turning it on.

Eeeh... This is one of those things why I like PC gaming. If you feel like you don't need AA, then don't use it, but I'm really not fan of jaggies and even with 4K resolutions, applying some minor AA will still turn image quality much higher. Mirror's Edge Catalyst I actually forced AA out as they were using some really blurry implementation of something, but I still needed to inject SMAA in so that I wouldn't get bothered by stairstep edges literally everywhere because of really bright contrast enviroment design.

I sometimes put vsync off as I have high refresh rate monitor, but I couldn't live without some level of vsync with regular 60Hz monitor and if game runs well I do still put it on even at 144Hz as introduced input lag with this high frame rates is really small.

Mario69 said:
This is proper behaviour.

Game files, configuration files and game save data should always be saved on seperate locations, where game data is at selected usually high volume drive where it can be installed and deleted whenever and used by whoever, configuration files somwhere where it doesn't matter even if they get deleted and are user specific (%APPDATA%, %LOCALAPPADA%, HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and saves somewhere where they are hard to get lost and are user specific (Documents, Saved games, sometimes %APPDATA%, Steam userdata).

Of course there are some games which completely and utterly disregard any kind of thinking and just dumb everything on game install folder and then everything gets lost once game is uninstalled...

%STUFF% is windows variable, so you should be able to access the folder by simply copy-pasting that to either windows search or windows explorer. In this case, copy-pasting %LOCALAPPDATA%\Stories\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\ should always get you to right location and I can confirm this is correct config location to Stories. Windows variables as well as your own user folders can easily be moved to another drive (hence why they are variables and not hard fixed paths) if you wish so and symbolic links are also a thing, that's why my desktop, downloads, documents, etc. folders are under X:\ instead of C:\Users\User\

Here's some information how to mess around with settings: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Stories:_The_Path_of_Destinies
So to disable vsync, open up Engine.ini with preferred text editor (notepad works) and add in (it's not there by default) the following at the bottom and save:

[SystemSettings]
r.VSync=0

As for PC version looking bad and working bad... I can confirm this is pretty much the case. I have actually been in contact with devs as the PS4 copy looks and plays insanely much better regardless of what I do and I do have high end gaming system. Especially the shadows are just awful mush. Here's direct quote I got from them couple months back:

Thanks, I did it, and it didn't help much?
it was hard to tell. much be a bug
I know Sonic Forces on PC got optimize issues too where the games goes slowmo,
if the vSync or/and frame rates was off or not.

stalkerd said:
Thanks, I did it, it didn't help much?
it was hard to tell. much be a bug
I know Sonic Forces on PC got optimize issues too where the games goes slowmo,
if the vSync or/and frame rates was off or not.

Yeah, it usually doesn't do much, because it's vsync :V
Usually vsync helps with tearing and may introduce input lag, it's not something that will magically boost performance significantly of the game unless it has some absurdly bad implementation of it.

Like said, in this case it's most likely more of their porting just sucking really badly more than anything else. Even just lack of basic options in the menu like that vsync is already telling.

As for Sonic Forces, haven't had any issues with Hedgehog engine with Generations (was actually testing steam link with this the other day) nor Lost World and haven't heard anything bad of PC version, though I do not personally own Forces yet. Always be aware of your PCs bottlenecks and tune the settings to have some breathing room above the desired frame rate on lower end machines to avoid huge frame drops/slowdowns.

https://www.sounds-resource.com/nintendo_switch/splatoon2/

Woomy!

Still no models/textures/sprites, though.

Pearl:
Hime_TalkRandom_Saucy00
Hime_TalkRandomSaucy000

Oh my.

Mario69 said:
Yeah, it usually doesn't do much, because it's vsync :V
Usually vsync helps with tearing and may introduce input lag, it's not something that will magically boost performance significantly of the game unless it has some absurdly bad implementation of it.

Like said, in this case it's most likely more of their porting just sucking really badly more than anything else. Even just lack of basic options in the menu like that vsync is already telling.

As for Sonic Forces, haven't had any issues with Hedgehog engine with Generations (was actually testing steam link with this the other day) nor Lost World and haven't heard anything bad of PC version, though I do not personally own Forces yet. Always be aware of your PCs bottlenecks and tune the settings to have some breathing room above the desired frame rate on lower end machines to avoid huge frame drops/slowdowns.

I know that the Hedgehog Engine for Generations and possibly Lost World were optimized extremely well, probably because the Hedgehog Engine was in development since 2005 for Sonic Unleashed. Sonic Forces uses a newer updated version of the engine, which probably explains why it runs slightly worse, as the new engine so far was only used for Forces.

furballs_dc said:
https://www.sounds-resource.com/nintendo_switch/splatoon2/

Woomy!

Still no models/textures/sprites, though.

Pearl:
Hime_TalkRandom_Saucy00
Hime_TalkRandomSaucy000

Oh my.

I'm more interested in the Song Call files, strangely...

Coffey25 said:

I'm more interested in the Song Call files, strangely...

http://switch.joshw.info/s/

These?