RJDodger said:
I used to run a 3570k with a cheap mainboard and a GTX 680 my dad borrowed from his workplace. Upgraded to the Z97, 1070, and Devil's Canyon last summer. It can hold 60FPS on ultra settings in pretty much every game I play. Honestly, its overkill, since I'm still stuck with 1080p, but having the insurance is nice.

There are plenty of non-indie games to push your graphical capabilities. My aforementioned Total War: Warhammer and Battlefield 1 will be a nice stress test (any game in those series is, really)

Depends on your definition of good. Mine's a pretty beefy mid-range build, and part by part, will set you back probably 700-800 dollars. But I run Intel/Nvidia parts, and splurged early for the 1070 a month or so after it came out. And don't let "mid range" make you think its only average. Like I mentioned above, I max out Battlefield 1 without any notable framerate drops. I could probably upgrade my monitor from 1080p/60FPS to 1440p/144FPS with that setup. The only way it could be better is with a GTX 1080 or Titan P card, and an i7 processor, but those two parts would tack on another 400.

PC gaming, in terms of cost to performance, is in a pretty good spot and only getting better. The GTX 1070 beat out last generations 980ti and Titan cards at 2/3 to half the price. AMD's good for budget builds, and their new lineup of Ryzen CPUs next week, plus Vega cards this summer, will match Intel's top tier products at a drastically reduced price (if the benchmarks line up). With a Ryzen 5 or 3 CPU, RX 480 card, and budget board/RAM/power supply, you could get a decently powerful PC for 500 dollars or less that still far outperforms consoles. Even if you can't drop that much up front, its also possible to get a sub-300 PC with older parts and upgrade it over time, which is what I did.

So that will be another problem for me, I understood very little of what you just said. I don't know shit about PCs the last computer I had was a white one back when the internet was just dial up and apart from briefly using more modern ones at school that is the extent of my experience with a PC. I guess that's why might be stuck playing console I buy it and then play games on it it's very simple for me.

Doomguy666 said:
So that will be another problem for me, I understood very little of what you just said. I don't know shit about PCs the last computer I had was a white one back when the internet was just dial up and apart from briefly using more modern ones at school that is the extent of my experience with a PC. I guess that's why might be stuck playing console I buy it and then play games on it it's very simple for me.

A quick google search for "Premade gaming pc" reveals a site that caters to people seeking such a thing, looks like their cheapest ("For gamers without breaking the bank") is just under $900.

Doomguy666 said:
This has piqued my interest, how much does a good gaming pc cost?
I should buy one as soon as I can stop wasting money on weapons, I don't know who I'm trying to fool here I'll never stop buying new weapons.

My first gaming dedicate PC costed me 300€, it was AMD APU build (integrated GPU which was as powerful as dedicated card) and took some things like case, disc drive and power supply from local recycling center. Could play games with low-medium from 30-60 FPS.

So it depents on what you are willing to pay or want to get. To get medium range try to get ~600€, higher end ~1000€ and of course you don't have to buy everything right away or be most amazing, just upgrade when you want/need.

And yes, most PC places offer their own prebuilds, part picking + assembling services and there's even dedicated sites just for this stuff. It's not harder than building with legos when you get the parts picked.

Doomguy666 said:

Building a PC sounds scary at first because big words and numbers, but its not as complicated as one would expect. Central Processor with a compatible motherboard and a graphics card are the big three parts. Add a power supply that won't explode, hard drive with a decent amount of storate space, and at least 4 GB of RAM, then screw them into a case. Putting the parts together is fairly intuitive, and the motherboard/PSU have instructions on how to wire everything. Like the guy above me said, its like Legos. Just find someone who knows what they're talking about for hardware reviews- PCGamer, Linus Tech Tips, PC Master Race subreddit, etc. and they can get you on the right track.

Don't do prebuilts, though. They reeeeeally like to price gouge on those, hence the misconception that you need 1000+ to compete with consoles. I will admit that software setup can be difficult, but knowing how to build and repair computers is just a valuable skill to have this day and age.

Huh I guess a pc sounds doable although there are a lot of options for parts which isn't a bad thing but it seem overwhelming to me as I don't even know what they do. Thanks RJDodger for suggestions for hardware reviews and everyone else for your advice. Physically building it once I have the parts is not a concern I'm a jeweler for fun, making tiny finicky stuff is where I excel.
Once I actually turn the thing on I'll be stuck again, I need my brothers help to open a word document and printing said document and I'll be honest typing as well, but that's his job so he'll know how it works.
One more question, how noticeable a difference is there between medium and higher range parts? I rather enjoy buying the best available but I have no idea what I'm paying for in this case.

Doomguy666 said:
Huh I guess a pc sounds doable although there are a lot of options for parts which isn't a bad thing but it seem overwhelming to me as I don't even know what they do. Thanks RJDodger for suggestions for hardware reviews and everyone else for your advice. Physically building it once I have the parts is not a concern I'm a jeweler for fun, making tiny finicky stuff is where I excel.
Once I actually turn the thing on I'll be stuck again, I need my brothers help to open a word document and printing said document and I'll be honest typing as well, but that's his job so he'll know how it works.
One more question, how noticeable a difference is there between medium and higher range parts? I rather enjoy buying the best available but I have no idea what I'm paying for in this case.

NP. I'm willing to help you get a parts list together, if you've got a budget in mind.

The difference between mid-range and high-end/enthusiast hardware depends on the game, how its optimized, and your display. A decent benchmark is frames per second across several games. If you look at PCGamer's review of the GTX 1070 , you can see a bunch of different cards and their relative framerate differences. Simply put: Every card from the R9 390 and below would be lower mid-range to budget, for the time. Everything above it would be upper mid-range (980, Nano, and Fury) or high-end/enthusiast (Fury X, 980ti, Titan X, 1080). The 1070 was nice because it competed at that level for 400 dollars, whereas the current high-ends ran from 600 to over 1000 dollars at the time.

With the new lineup of cards that have and are coming out, budget cards like the GTX 1060 and 1050ti, or the RX480 and 470, run at about the level of the GTX 980 on that graph for 250 dollars or less. If all else fails, older generations of graphics cards are pretty cheap (in the 100 dollar range), but you'll be running your games on low settings and maybe some framerate drops.

CPUs are a bit more complicated. Clock speeds is their benchmarks, but I don't have a handily available graph to chart the differences across current chips. Clock speeds, measured in gigahertz, is how many mathematical calculations it can perform in one "cycle," though how long those cycles take varies between CPUs. So two processors can have a 3.5 GHZ clock speed, but one can still perform better than the other. This spreadsheet has relative, but somewhat ambiguous, scores on the performance of all current processors. For a mid-range build, any Intel i5 is a good price-to-performance standpoint. I got my i5 4690k for 200 dollars. K processors means they're "unlocked" and can be overclocked for a faster clock speed- I have mine running at 4.2 GHZ versus a base clock speed of 3.5 GHZ.

With AMD's new processors coming out, prices on Intel's CPUs are already dropping. We'll have to wait for official reviews to be released before any real comparisons can be made, though.

RJDodger said:
NP. I'm willing to help you get a parts list together, if you've got a budget in mind.

how kind of you to offer but I haven't really considered building a pc before now so I don't even have a budget yet. However I feel I'd want at least an upper mid range pc and estimating from the information you provided that would be over a thousand dollars correct? I could do that more so if I go halfsies with my brother.
Now I have another question how often is it necessary to up-grade a pc? With consoles a new generation comes out every five to six years it seems but I suspect the technology develops much faster then that.

Doomguy666 said:
Now I have another question how often is it necessary to up-grade a pc? With consoles a new generation comes out every five to six years it seems but I suspect the technology develops much faster then that.

I have been using this same PC since 2012 and I'm still getting the performance I want out of this. Almost all upgrades have been because I have had extra money or wanted just slightly more out of the machine, so nothing has been exactly necessary.
Main ones being new GPU (bought year ago) and peripherals like display (144Hz), keyboard (to mechanical) and mouse (from optical to laser).

Doomguy666 said:
how kind of you to offer but I haven't really considered building a pc before now so I don't even have a budget yet. However I feel I'd want at least an upper mid range pc and estimating from the information you provided that would be over a thousand dollars correct? I could do that more so if I go halfsies with my brother.

Your budget is really just what you feel comfortable spending, relative to the performance you're hoping to get. I drew up this build on PC Part Picker in the 1000 dollar range. Its close to mine, and pretty damn powerful, if that's in your budget range. Should be able to max, or come close to maxing, all current games at 1080p, with possible upgrades to 1440p in the future. Its fairly future proof, and VR ready if you win the lottery or something. Costs could be cut a little bit with a different CPU and motherboard, without sacrificing too much performance (you'd just have to run on High instead of Ultra)

As for upgrading, PC part development is basically constant marginal gains, so the per-part upgrade cycle is about on par with full console upgrades. But the nice thing is that not upgrading doesn't lock you out of current games, and CPU and GPU improvements are staggered so you don't really need to upgrade both at the same time.

Sorry if I'm getting carried away. I do this kind stuff for fun (plus I'm an IT major, so it'll end up being my job)

Jumping back into Skyrim outa boredom, any good mods anyone can recommend?
(I have interesting npcs, immersive weapons/armor, and a bunch of texture and lighting mods. There are more but I can't remember.)

Two words: Three words: Ghost Recon Wildlands.

OrangeLightning said:
Jumping back into Skyrim outa boredom, any good mods anyone can recommend?

"Sands of Time," "Death Alternative," "SexLab Defeat," "Defeat DA"
Despite what that list may look like, I personally always find myself on the winning side for quite a while. It's just fun to eventually suffer from the Defeat mod.
(But if you're only looking for the SFW stuff, just go for the first two)

There are more but I can't remember.)

...Dude. Use the Nexus Mod Manager. This way you can quickly enable or disable any given mod, without having to worry about which files come from which mod.

Furrin_Gok said:
...Dude. Use the Nexus Mod Manager. This way you can quickly enable or disable any given mod, without having to worry about which files come from which mod.

I do use nmm, just forgot to check it before I posted and lazy.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will give em all a look.

looks like my next 2 games from gamefly WON'T be dragon ball xenovers 2 and nioh but rather skyrim special edition and watchdogs. oh well, maybe those will come up later.

and speaking of skyrim, i have heard you can use mods for it on ps4. o.O if i CAN do that, anyone have some good suggestions? seeing as it's the special edition version (gamefly sure is good about offering the best version of games. :)) it'll probably come with all the expansions and stuff so no worries there.

So apparently Hollow Knight came out, and the reviews are pretty positive. I'm thinking of picking that up soon - I've been on a metroidvania kick.

Ryuzaki_Tritium said:
I take it that nobody's overly excited about Nier: Automata, then?

I finally got around to playing the demo myself and it was pretty fun which was nice considering I got bored with the ghost recon beta already.

Clawdragons said:
So apparently Hollow Knight came out, and the reviews are pretty positive. I'm thinking of picking that up soon - I've been on a metroidvania kick.

Huh, think I'll try that one out.

saw a video earlier about how steam may be trying to bring back the "paid mods" system at some point.

i wonder if it'll backfire as bad as last time they tried this.

o_O wouldn't that basically make mods a new form of DLC? since one of the biggest differences between the 2 is one is paid and the other is free.

treos said:
saw a video earlier about how steam may be trying to bring back the "paid mods" system at some point.

o_O wouldn't that basically make mods a new form of DLC? since one of the biggest differences between the 2 is one is paid and the other is free.

It crashed last time because they introduced it to a game with a large mod library already. If they do it again, it'll still fail. By their nature, mods are lower fidelity and generally don't have the same amount of time and resources available. Many mods tend to be unstable, and can conflict with each other and crash the game, so that's going to kill the market when that happens.

Plus its obviously a thinly-veiled scheme to make more money for Valve and publishers, since modders were only getting 25 cents of every dollar.

RJDodger said:
It crashed last time because they introduced it to a game with a large mod library already. If they do it again, it'll still fail. By their nature, mods are lower fidelity and generally don't have the same amount of time and resources available. Many mods tend to be unstable, and can conflict with each other and crash the game, so that's going to kill the market when that happens.

Plus its obviously a thinly-veiled scheme to make more money for Valve and publishers, since modders were only getting 25 cents of every dollar.

Didn't the modder have to request "paid content" status? Get some greenlighting on those, same as games, so if it's not really adding anything worth the cents the author wants to charge, it won't be sold.

treos said:

Personally I think it failed because Steam failed to communicate what exactly it was. I think it was a great idea, but it's ruined forever because of how Steam handled it. The modders who were paid also ended up having the money reversed without warning, while still being forced to provide and maintain the mod under the threat of a permanent ban. Nice one Steam. Way to get the worst of both worlds.

looking at re7's nightmare mode, it is evidently a shameless mix of the esteemed Nazi Zombies, fnaf, and the series' own, classic, Mercenaries game mode

if they were going for awesome, looks like they nailed it

Quick random question for the peeps who have a copy of Smash 4
Does Marth still speak Japanese in it or did he get an English dub?
Just wondering since I got sidetracked by his memes

Notkastar said:
Quick random question for the peeps who have a copy of Smash 4
Does Marth still speak Japanese in it or did he get an English dub?
Just wondering since I got sidetracked by his memes

He still speaks Japanese. Ike, Robin, Lucina and the other one whose name I can't spell all speak English.

kamimatsu said:
He still speaks Japanese. Ike, Robin, Lucina and the other one whose name I can't spell all speak English.

Really? That's such a weird choice tbh.
I mean I love Marth's japanese voice as much as the next guy
but I don't get why they excludes a character that's been with
the franchise since melee from a dub.

Idk maybe his voice is to iconic to change ~ w ~)

Notkastar said:
Really? That's such a weird choice tbh.
I mean I love Marth's japanese voice as much as the next guy
but I don't get why they excludes a character that's been with
the franchise since melee from a dub.

Idk maybe his voice is to iconic to change ~ w ~)

I think that's it. Sort of like Superman's paper-thin disguise and the key-scratching-piano-wire sound of the TARDIS. I believe TvTropes calls it "The Artifact".

kamimatsu said:
I think that's it. Sort of like Superman's paper-thin disguise and the key-scratching-piano-wire sound of the TARDIS. I believe TvTropes calls it "The Artifact".

TvTropes said:
Sometimes, a character or gimmick seems to no longer fit with the mood or design of a story according to a writer, but is kept because there seems to be no way for the writer to get rid of them without causing some serious disruption

Yup yup I can get that ╹‿╹)
Changing Marth's voice would be like changing the voice of sonic (Again I I)
It would be pretty jarring for returning doods and there would be a large mount of peeps whoa would actually raise a fuss about it.

Also thanks for info, didn't think I actually thanked you yet lolz ◠‿◠)

there, all installed (will update later tonight). now let's see how skyrim special edition looks on ps4 pro.

oh and tried watchdogs some and it's pretty good. beats prototype. >.>

i always did like the "hacker" theme in video games.

treos said:
i always did like the "hacker" theme in video games.

Look up "Uplink".

Elite Dangerous is pretty fun. Especially since I've now killed Karl Marx, Shigeru Miyamoto, someone with my name, and Jimi Hendrix yelled at me that the end is neigh, and some other strange stuff happened.

Though it can get incredibly repetitive since it's 95% flying and shooting stuff with your ship.