New tag announcements

In category: Tag Alias and Implication Suggestions

Restarting the thread which had kinda wandered away from my original intentions and has gotten too big to be practical anyway.

There's been talk about it before but no action as far as I can tell, so I took it upon myself (worse come to worse it'll be renamed) to create half-human for characters such as most common classical centaurs, mermaids or satyrs that have a clear break between a human or animal humanoid half and a furry half. Doesn't have to be the top half eitehr. It's just the most common case.

alien anthro armpits athletic crest disney experiment_(species) fan_character featureless_crotch fluffy fluffy_tail half-human lilo_and_stitch male monochrome navel open_mouth ovni pencil_(artwork) petrock pointy_ears rubbing_head slim solo traditional_media_(artwork)

Rating: Safe
Score: 0
User: Circeus
Date: January 24, 2017
Deleted: Does not meet minimum quality standards

Not intended for:
* transformations stuff
* fully scaly/furry characters (e.g. most nagas)
* imps/demons

I just created a bycocket tag after stumbling across robin_hood_hat and tried to figure out what Robin Hood's hat was actually called.

Wiki created, partially populated, tag_group:clothes updated, implication pending.

Circeus said:
There's been talk about it before but no action as far as I can tell, so I took it upon myself (worse come to worse it'll be renamed) to create half-human for characters such as most common classical centaurs, mermaids or satyrs that have a clear break between a human or animal humanoid half and a furry half. Doesn't have to be the top half eitehr. It's just the most common case.

Sounds good to me. Easy to identify, tag name is intuitive enough. How are we going to handle the implications? Some will be easy (eg. centaurs are always half human) but some won't (eg. mermaids aren't so much).

Created an expression_meme tag for images created through suggestions prompted by artists posting expression sheets like this.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 227
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Circeus said:

alien anthro armpits athletic crest disney experiment_(species) fan_character featureless_crotch fluffy fluffy_tail half-human lilo_and_stitch male monochrome navel open_mouth ovni pencil_(artwork) petrock pointy_ears rubbing_head slim solo traditional_media_(artwork)

Score: 0
User: Circeus
Date: January 24, 2017
Deleted: Does not meet minimum quality standards

Those clearly belong under animal_humanoid, so if this tag is added it should probably be a subtag of that.

Genjar said:
Those clearly belong under animal_humanoid, so if this tag is added it should probably be a subtag of that.

What about centaurs? They would fall under this proposed tag yet are not animal humanoids.

This would be more of a side category as some things don't fall into the same category as the others. Centaurs are taurs, satyrs are animal humanoids and lamias are... nothing, apparently.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

BlueDingo said:
What about centaurs? They would fall under this proposed tag yet are not animal humanoids.

Good point. Taur is a separate category.
...and what about centaurs that don't look half-human? There's some that look half-elven, etc.

Strictly speaking, those satyrs don't have much in common with what we tag as human either. Since even the 'human' half has features that makes it non-human by our standards. Non-human ears, etc.

Genjar said:
...and what about centaurs that don't look half-human? There's some that look half-elven, etc.

Strictly speaking, those satyrs don't have much in common with what we tag as human either. Since even the 'human' half has features that makes it non-human by our standards. Pointy ears, etc.

True. In many cases, they would be half-humanoid as opposed to half-human. It depends on where we drawn the line on "human enough". Perhaps half-humanoid would be a more accurate.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

BlueDingo said:
True. In many cases, they would be half-humanoid as opposed to half-human. It depends on where we drawn the line on "human enough". Perhaps half-humanoid would be a more accurate.

What about other way around? Half-animal, to go with animal_head and other similar tags? Then we wouldn't have to worry if the non-animal half is human or humanoid.

On the other hand, that might get mixed up with hybrid.

Half-human only works if they're half human. This is why I suggested hemitaur twice before for species similar to satyrs and minotaurs.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
Half-human only works if they're half human. This is why I suggested hemitaur twice before for species similar to satyrs and minotaurs.

That tag is out of question because of our usage of taur. Satyrs and such are not taurs by our tagging standards. Not even minotaurs are taurs, despite the name.

Genjar said:
What about other way around? Half-animal, to go with animal_head and other similar tags? Then we wouldn't have to worry if the non-animal half is human or humanoid.

On the other hand, that might get mixed up with hybrid.

The divide between the halves should be clear enough to reduce that issue. I'd say anything without a humanoid_face and lots of exposed skin wouldn't count.

Genjar said:
That tag is out of question because of our usage of taur. Satyrs and such are not taurs by our tagging standards. Not even minotaurs are taurs, despite the name.

Are you saying the humanoid tag is out of the question because we already have the human tag? Just because the majority of the term happens to be the same word as an existing tag doesn't mean this new tag is "out of the question."
If you vote against the term, sure, that's understandable, but don't say it's an invalid idea for some nonsensical reason.

Created a wiki page for a fife (a type of flute). First time creating a wiki page, so I likely made some sort of mistake.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
Are you saying the humanoid tag is out of the question because we already have the human tag?

No, I'm saying that hemitaur is out of question because it has nothing to do with what we tag as taur. Satyrs and such aren't half-taur (hemi means half) by our standards.

HsTheBraixen said:
Created a wiki page for a fife (a type of flute). First time creating a wiki page, so I likely made some sort of mistake.

Looks alright to me.

BlueDingo said:
Looks alright to me.

Thank you. Based my short entry upon your's for the flute page. Always glad to have a model for something I am new at doing.

Genjar said:
No, I'm saying that hemitaur is out of question because it has nothing to do with what we tag as taur. Satyrs and such aren't half-taur (hemi means half) by our standards.

Okay, so you're saying the long_taur tag is invalid. After all, taur refers to exactly four legs and two arms, and yet these guys aren't simply really long lower-torsos between their legs, they have more than four!
If we can use a tag like that, then your excuse falls apart into irrelevancy itself. A "Long Taur" is a "taur" which has more than the four legs, and a "Hemi Taur" would be the opposite.

HsTheBraixen said:
Thank you. Based my short entry upon your's for the flute page. Always glad to have a model for something I am new at doing.

I should try creating basic templates and discussing them somewhere since I try to build my pages the same way each time and people seem to be okay with the way I do it. If I were any good at javascript, I could even try adding a button to the edit page that could load a blank template to fill in.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
Okay, so you're saying the long_taur tag is invalid. After all, taur refers to exactly four legs and two arms, and yet these guys aren't simply really long lower-torsos between their legs, they have more than four!

You might want to check the taur wiki again. Taurs are multi-legged, not limited to quadrupedal. So that argument is completely invalid.

Genjar said:

Most elves are little more than pointy-eared human (not even necessarily with nonhuman skin color).

The point of the tag is to have something that covers these peculiar combinations (i.e. something that cover what's common between ariel, philoctetes and fantasia centaurs), and half-human can at least do the trick while we figure something better. Heck, post #782337 is tagged with "humanoid" and there is no way to argue that's correct. I think covering the obvious cases is more important than arguing endlessly about the edge cases (which exist for countless other tags already anyway).

Example of satyr/siren/centaurs (or at least things using those tags) that are not half-human:

alpha_channel blue_hair blush breasts crying eyes_closed fangs female hair monster open_mouth ponehanon shyren simple_background siren solo tears transparent_background undertale video_games

Score: 5
User: ROTHY
Date: October 21, 2015 (that last one should really have animal head)

FWIW I think it's more of an anatomy tag (like quadruped or long_tail) than a species tag, since no species can be implicated to it and vice-versa.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Circeus said:
The point of the tag is to have something that covers these peculiar combinations (i.e. something that cover what's common between ariel, philoctetes and fantasia centaurs), and half-human can at least do the trick while we figure something better.

We already did. Use half-animal instead.
It's not perfect, but better than half-human for reasons already mentioned.

Genjar said:
You might want to check the taur wiki again. Taurs are multi-legged, not limited to quadrupedal. So that argument is completely invalid.

No, it isn't. This just proves you're wrong in the opposite direction. If you follow "What the wiki says," Long_Taur is invalid because Taur already covers it.
Just because you don't like a tag idea doesn't mean you can say it's invalid, Genjar. We can always change up what a wiki says so that it works right.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
No, it isn't. This just proves you're wrong in the opposite direction. If you follow "What the wiki says," Long_Taur is invalid because Taur already covers it.

Long_taur is clearly meant to be a taur subtag instead of a separate category. The implication for it is still open in forum #205337.

And none of that has anything to do with the fact that hemitaur (half-taur) is a completely unsuitable tag for creatures that have nothing to do with taurs.

Genjar said:
Long_taur is clearly meant to be a taur subtag instead of a separate category. The implication for it is still open in forum #205337.

And none of that has anything to do with the fact that hemitaur (half-taur) is a completely unsuitable tag for creatures that have nothing to do with taurs.

How do they not? A human/anthro upper half, with half a feral lower half, fits how you would describe "Half-Taur" perfectly.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
How do they not? A human/anthro upper half, with half a feral lower half, fits how you would describe "Half-Taur" perfectly.

No matter how I look at it, that still makes no sense whatsoever. And you've been going on about it for almost a year now. Without anyone else supporting the idea.

Just let it go. We'd get a whole lot more work done if we didn't have to spend committee time on things like this.

Genjar said:
No matter how I look at it, that still makes no sense whatsoever. And you've been going on about it for almost a year now. Without anyone else supporting the idea.

Just let it go. We'd get a whole lot more work done if we didn't have to spend committee time on things like this.

I've brought it up a total of three times. The first time was at the end of a page and probably didn't get noticed, the second time the conversation was centered around the above and below posts, so it was likely missed there, too.

You're the one who needs to let it go, Genjar. If it doesn't make sense to you, then it doesn't make sense to you, that's all there is to that. Give other people a chance to place their opinions in here rather than trying to shut things down before then.

What if we had a tag that worked like taur but didn't have the legs requirement, ie. a tag that simple meant "half anthro/humanoid, half feral", that would cover all of these? half-human/half-animal, taur, lamia, etc. would imply it.

Things it would cover (top examples are half-human):

blonde_hair blue_eyes breasts centaur centorea_shianus_(monster_musume) clothing equine equine_taur female hair haruharu55 hi_res humanoid mammal monster_girl_(genre) monster_musume pointy_ears ponytail solo taur

Score: 20
User: quietprv
Date: December 18, 2015 5_fingers baseball_cap beige_skin blonde_hair blue_eyes bottomless cel_shading clipboard clothed clothing cyan_scales dialogue english_text female front_view hair hat holding_object humanoid karbo lamia long_hair looking_at_viewer olympics pencil_(object) reptile scales scalie serpentine shirt simple_background snake solo spots talking_to_viewer text white_background

Score: 5
User: Nuji
Date: June 21, 2016
alpha_channel armpits canine eternity_zinogre fox foxtaur fur gloves_(marking) hi_res male mammal markings navel nude red_fur simple_background smile solo taur transparent_background

Score: 16
User: Cat-in-Flight
Date: August 20, 2016

In regards to long_taur which is created by me, as Genjar notes it is for the most part a subtag/subspecies of taur.

Regarding hemitaur the terminology just doesnt seem quite sound considering the only other place we use hemi~ to describe anatomy is hemipenes wich are a type of reptilian genitalia that as the shaft split in to halves that pretty much mirror each other. in that regard hemi just doesnt work as nothing is being mirrored in regards to all forms of taurs and other half-n-half creatures. "short_taur" would be much more apt but still a bit nebulous in the limits were it would apply.

And as i hinted in the above paragraph: taurs, nagas, lamia, merfolk, satyrs and all other half-feral half-anthro/human forms i would colectivly refer as half-n-half creatures. That eliminates the issue of "humans or humanoids" that other suggestions for a collective tag so far have.

Genjar
Contributor
3 months ago

Furrin_Gok said:
I've brought it up a total of three times. The first time was at the end of a page and probably didn't get noticed, the second time the conversation was centered around the above and below posts, so it was likely missed there, too.

Trust me, they get noticed. The committee already discussed this matter back when we decided what to do with the satyr tag.

BlueDingo said:
What if we had a tag that worked like taur but didn't have the legs requirement, ie. a tag that simple meant "half anthro/humanoid, half feral", that would cover all of these? half-human/half-animal, taur, lamia, etc. would imply it.

Interesting idea, but where would that leave creatures such as satyrs and minotaurs, which have half-anthro lower body instead of half-feral?

I guess we could go with something like half_and_half. Which sounds a bit odd, but might catch on.

I recall brining up a point before of moving to treat satyr as a bodytype rather than a species, then appending the species in use. A fox satyr would be tagged as both fox and satyr.

Personally it's less confusing when faun is used instead, but that's my experience.

Ratte said:
I recall brining up a point before of moving to treat satyr as a bodytype rather than a species, then appending the species in use. A fox satyr would be tagged as both fox and satyr.

Personally it's less confusing when faun is used instead, but that's my experience.

I have a feeling associating a name for a known specific species with a whole bodytype would be a rather very bad idea.

That would be like aliasing taur to centaur...