This topic is locked.

Sorrowless said:
Like with Europe, America share a similar culture. The European culture you could say.

American culture is distinct from most European cultures in a number of ways. The most notable amongst these differences are actually encapsulated in our very own Constitution.

We borrowed bits and pieces from England, to be sure, and we've picked and chosen certain aspects of certain other cultures to incorporate into our own, depending largely on where you are in the USA.

It should be noted, however, that culture is necessarily competitive in nature, not cooperative. Just because we picked bits here and bits there from other cultures to incorporate into our own, does not mean that we allowed those other cultures to somehow subsume our own.

True. The American people are distinct in several ways. But it's also good to know that most people who have immigrated to the US are European.

"Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected."

this must have been an overnight change as this is the first i've ever seen this on any wikia site.

"We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers"

which includes blocking pretty much entire articles from being viewed? that's not a modified experience, that's a freaking censored experience that says "pay us or get off our site!"

Omega (enemy)

and nope, not a simple matter of allowing cookies.

treos said:

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected."

this must have been an overnight change as this is the first i've ever seen this on any wikia site.

"We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers"

which includes blocking pretty much entire articles from being viewed? that's not a modified experience, that's a freaking censored experience that says "pay us or get off our site!"

Omega (enemy)

and nope, not a simple matter of allowing cookies.

These are right up there with "Forced login to use this site" that you see on Pinterest, Facebook and other sites, And Youtube channels where the personality rattles on about some deal-of-the-century at the beginning or end of their video after you've just sat through three or four ads that played before the video.

EDIT: If they really want our ad revenue they should make ads worth a damn. Viral ads and "Annoyance ads" (Think P&G ones that unmute and autoplay.. Or transparent GMC ads that take up an entire screen and hide their X button) are the reason a lot of us use adblockers in the first place.

FoxFourOhFour said:
And Youtube channels where the personality rattles on about some deal-of-the-century at the beginning or end of their video after you've just sat through three or four ads that played before the video.

those are annoying as they're actually part of the video and thus can't be blocked like normal ads. thankfully, i don't usually visit any youtube videos like that aside from Suit Yourself but all he does is push those coffee cup designs he comes up with and those are all the way at the end of the video.

treos said:

In other words, "Browser security system that keeps us from serving up MALWARE to your computer at our leisure detected, and that pisses us off because we make money from these MALWARE infested ads and we couldn't care less about whether your computer is still usable or not, so goddamnit either let us infect your computer with MALWARE or gtfo."

InannaEloah said:
In other words, "Browser security system that keeps us from serving up MALWARE to your computer at our leisure detected, and that pisses us off because we make money from these MALWARE infested ads and we couldn't care less about whether your computer is still usable or not, so goddamnit either let us infect your computer with MALWARE or gtfo."

well...yeah, theres that too. it's some combination of dodging the irritation ads always lead to and the security side of things as to why i always block them.

That's why I use UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger to block all that BS on YouTube and other sites.

well, wikia isn't blocking me now but if they've pulled that crap before then theres no way of knowing if or when they might do it again.

well, their site, their rules i suppose but i really don't see how forcing something no one wants on them could be considered a good move. especially if it's something that WILL drive away a good chunk of the userbase. that's money and people being driven away by greed.

edit: then again, people use facebook knowing facebook sells their personal info to ad companies. so some people probably just don't give a f about being regarded as products to be traded and sold.

edit2: was just reading about the spell Ultima on that wiki and saw the following.

▼ why Ultima only does a max of 500 damage to a single target in FFII

When Final Fantasy II was originally released on the Famicom, the Ultima spell, which was difficult to acquire, was practically useless. It was initially meant to increase its power relative to the level of other spells the caster had, but due to a bug, the spell did just around 500 damage at the most on a single target. Director Hironobu Sakaguchi has later told a humorous story relating to the bug: When Square tested the game and saw the bug, Sakaguchi asked for it to be fixed, but the person who programmed it replied that legendary stuff that dates back to an age before "proper techniques" would look inferior from present's point-of-view, explaining Ultima's weakness. He reasoned that the struggle to acquire it only to discover it's useless mirrors real life, and thus he was not going to fix the bug. Sakaguchi was irritated by the reply and tried to fix it himself, but the programmer had ciphered the source and Ultima was left the way it was.[1] It was originally meant to increase in power relative to the level of the other spells the caster has, but will not even if all of their spells are at level 16. This in turn causes Ultima to do a measly 500 damage at maximum (level 16) to a single target.

tl;dr the spell was ruined because some idiot programmer refused to fix a bug in the program.

i wonder if they fired him over that. i don't blame Sakaguchi for being irritated by this. i'd be pretty irritated too if someone purposely left a part of a game broken, or bugged in this case, like that.

i'd stick to more useful spells in that game after learning about this.

When the ads automatically keep the window scrolled to view them and keep snapping back when you scroll down defeating the purpose of the site (I'm looking at YOU, Wikia).

FoxFourOhFour said:
..."Forced login to use this site" that you see on Pinterest, Facebook and other sites...

It's a bit of a lengthy process to do, but (this is in Firefox, I don't know if you can do this in other browsers or not) you can right click on the login notice on Pinterest and FB and click "inspect element" to bring up a bunch of html at the bottom of the page. When you hover your mouse over a bit of html code it will highlight an area of the page, and when you highlight the login thingy, just right-click again and click "delete node" and then click the little x at the top right corner of the html thingy, and the warning will be gone and you'll be able to browse to your heart's content.

I've only tried this on single pages because I usually find those sites via a Google search and am trying to find a single post or article, and I really don't want to have to make an account on those sites just to read one post every so often. So I don't know what will happen if you navigate to another page on their site.

InannaEloah said:
It's a bit of a lengthy process to do, but (this is in Firefox, I don't know if you can do this in other browsers or not) you can right click on the login notice on Pinterest and FB and click "inspect element" to bring up a bunch of html at the bottom of the page. When you hover your mouse over a bit of html code it will highlight an area of the page, and when you highlight the login thingy, just right-click again and click "delete node" and then click the little x at the top right corner of the html thingy, and the warning will be gone and you'll be able to browse to your heart's content.

I've only tried this on single pages because I usually find those sites via a Google search and am trying to find a single post or article, and I really don't want to have to make an account on those sites just to read one post every so often. So I don't know what will happen if you navigate to another page on their site.

You have to remove it every time. You're only seeing the result. The server-side code is still there. It's why you don't see PHP code when you do that on sites that use PHP.

Pretty sure you can set a custom Ublock filter to remove those annoying login-to-view overlays as you come across them.

Also

treos said:

If nothing else, noscript removes most of these adblocker blocker pages. It can be annoying to set up if you've never used it before though.

i just remembered something i heard about the other day (ty, AlphaOmegaSin, for this terrible news.)that probably no gamer here will like to hear.

Konami Trademarks Turbografx 16 - New Console or Games? - AlphaOmegaSin

that's right, Konami has laid claim to Turbografx 16. we can all safely expect them to fuck this up and maybe look forward to more stupid pachinko machines (some potentially of the...ero variety...ugh...).

of all game the shitty video game publishers, why can't this one just go bankrupt already? :( they aren't doing ANYTHING good anymore. heck, i doubt they even like video games anymore.

o.O hm? a new Jim Sterling...wait...a new slaughtering grounds game? and it's a VR one? lol i take it we can expect to see digital homicide further destroy their reputation after this video, right?

If they legally own it they can do what the fuck they want with it. We are not forced to buy their stuff. It's not their responsibility for us to be entertained.

Feminism is now trying to subvert the Juggalo subculture.

I might end up finding myself actually defending god-damned Juggalos from feminists.

JUGGALOS.

Feminism makes most of us angry.

Self-proclaimed "spiritual" people who won't give you a straight answer to a simple question.

For example, asking an uber-spiritual person online if there is a word to describe a particular situation that you've encountered recently and if so, what that word is, but then being directed to a book or to a 30-minute long video on Youtube that has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked.

Seriously, why does every "spiritual teacher" I encounter feel this godawful need to be a clone of Yoda? Simple question I ask, simple answer I want. Give bullshit answer to sound smart, do you?

Where do you find these people? I don't think I have met one.

Sorrowless said:

I have.

InannaEloah said:
People who think that the cure for hate is more hate, or who blame long-standing human conditions such as racism on one convenient target whose rise to power is only a symptom, because heaven forbid we should ever acknowledge that human beings are racists... nah, just blame the Guy With The Orange Hair.

/just came back from the whole Jontron fiasco myself what the eff

I people have BIASES, not racism, this has been proven. people should acknowledge them. Genuine "I don't like you 'believe I'm better than you/wish not to affiliate myself because you're X" is never ok and these things are less common in places where it's diverse, people can I should try and transcend this mindset the best they can. You especially shouldn't let these biases completely overtake you as a person. [I don't mean YOU, i mean people in general who just accept their biases and are just like "eh we're all racist so it's ok that I snubbed that person"]

also pretty obvious what I'm angry about jon how could you though

That I can't openly talk about being a furry in public without scrutiny.

treos said:
i just remembered something i heard about the other day (ty, AlphaOmegaSin, for this terrible news.)that probably no gamer here will like to hear.

Konami Trademarks Turbografx 16 - New Console or Games? - AlphaOmegaSin

that's right, Konami has laid claim to Turbografx 16. we can all safely expect them to fuck this up and maybe look forward to more stupid pachinko machines (some potentially of the...ero variety...ugh...).

of all game the shitty video game publishers, why can't this one just go bankrupt already? :( they aren't doing ANYTHING good anymore. heck, i doubt they even like video games anymore.

They at least realized that pachinko wasn't working. That's why they announced the Metal Gear Survival thing (they can't make a real title anymore because Kojima quit). They may yet make something good.

InannaEloah said:
Self-proclaimed "spiritual" people who won't give you a straight answer to a simple question.

For example, asking an uber-spiritual person online if there is a word to describe a particular situation that you've encountered recently and if so, what that word is, but then being directed to a book or to a 30-minute long video on Youtube that has absolutely nothing to do with what you asked.

Seriously, why does every "spiritual teacher" I encounter feel this godawful need to be a clone of Yoda? Simple question I ask, simple answer I want. Give bullshit answer to sound smart, do you?

Just give them my philosophy:
"Only an idiot believes himself a wiseman. A true wiseman knows he's an idiot."

Korematsune said:
That I can't openly talk about being a furry in public without scrutiny.

Same thing but about sex/pleasuring and what not.
I mean it really gets on my nerves that I really can't bring up such a topic without coming off as such boner ya know? It's not even about that, I'm not trying to chat a peep up or anything when I bring it up. I just genuinely like talking about that sorta thing openly. (I might even start studying about it tbh, It 's just really interesting to me =)

Guess that does make me a pretty big perv but as much as a perv as say- Zone-Tan is ya know? Not exactly going out of their way to being a crude as possible but not afraid to speak their mind about it.

BlueDingo
Privileged
8 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

Notkastar said:
Same thing but about sex/pleasuring and what not.
I mean it really gets on my nerves that I really can't bring up such a topic without coming off as such boner ya know? It's not even about that, I'm not trying to chat a peep up or anything when I bring it up. I just genuinely like talking about that sorta thing openly. (I might even start studying about it tbh, It 's just really interesting to me =)

Guess that does make me a pretty big perv but as much as a perv as say- Zone-Tan is ya know? Not exactly going out of their way to being a crude as possible but not afraid to speak their mind about it.

There are times and places where/when you can openly talk about it, mostly places without kids. Though even in those times and places, talking about it like the average R34 user does will make you the target of ridicule.

BlueDingo said:
There are times and places where/when you can openly talk about it, mostly places without kids. Though even in those times and places, talking about it like the average R34 user does will make you the target of ridicule.

I know m8, I know ~ ~) and It's fustrating.
Don't get me wrong, I don't just go to places like youtube and just start posting things like:
"Top 10 HOTTEST WAYS TO GET OFF XDDDDDDDD"
No. I keep things civil and only go into the topic if: It's somewhere private, Someone else makes the first move and I can confirm the peeps age. The last thing I wanna be known as is 'That Guy' and tbh I think I've been doing a pretty good job at not being that peep ╹‿╹) No matter how much I wanna talk about it, The comfort of the other peep always comes first.

Though what really makes me frustrated it that i don't have that many outlets outside my doodling and a few close friends. Talking about that sorta thing openly is taboo and generally a bad thing to do since young peeps could be around. But Talking about it openly is something I've been craving to do for a really long time and it sucks that I don't have that many safe outlets for it ya know? (Even 621 is pretty limiting tbh and again outside of art and close peeps ~ w ~) though on the upside ma lewd arts gotten better because of it so *shrug*

Sorrowless said:

Mostly online, in sites that are supposed to be dedicated to helping people spiritually. I think I've known a couple people IRL who were that way but didn't go around proclaiming themselves to be spiritual leaders and teachers, they were just narcissistic assholes who wanted everybody to admire them.

Spiritual teachers that I've met in person tend to give more straightforward answers, probably because you're literally right there in front of them and being a vague self-proclaimed "expert" who never says anything of any real value (or being a rude sonofabitch) isn't as beneficial to them as it would be if they were online and a thousand miles away.

I am angry.

Angry about 2 the Ranting Gryphon being removed from AnthroCon over some SJW having a bitchfit.

BlueDingo
Privileged
8 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

Kavellrist said:
I am angry.

Angry about 2 the Ranting Gryphon being removed from AnthroCon over some SJW having a bitchfit.

Details?