treos
Blocked
1 year ago
2016 animated_skeleton bandanna bone cel_shading dry_bones glowing glowing_eyes gradient_background hi_res itoruna mario_bros nintendo scalie simple_background skeleton solo toony undead video_games

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: Itoruna
Date: August 16, 2016

movies

In category: Off Topic

well, we've got a thread for music and one for comics. why not one for movies too?

behold! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasm:_Ravager

18 years after the 4th movie in the series and it lives again!

well, i know what i'll be watching tonight. :)

one of the big influences on my life, Glengarry Glen Ross.

The Room is a cinematic masterpiece.

▼ Fun fact:

this scene was filmed in a parking lot for absolutely no reason, hence the roof's layout making no sense. The black-haired dude, Tommy Wiseau, owned an entire building in San Francisco but spent absurd amounts of money taking the shots from the parking lot of the film studio he worked with just because he was lazy.

Favorite is probably Spirited Away.
Also like Airplane, Life of Brian, Holy Grail, Evil Dead, Star Wars, Aliens, The Thing (spoilers), and, well, various crappy movies. My life would not be complete without MST3K.

treos
Blocked
1 year ago
2016 animated_skeleton bandanna bone cel_shading dry_bones glowing glowing_eyes gradient_background hi_res itoruna mario_bros nintendo scalie simple_background skeleton solo toony undead video_games

well, at the rate this torrent is going i probably won't be seeing phantasm V till tomorrow night. :/ but that happens. i'm certainly no stranger to waiting for things to finish.

as far as favorites go...i don't really have any particular ones (kinda how i am with video games and other stuff). still have that batman movie The Dark Knight (heath ledger did a GREAT joker.), it's pretty good. didn't care much for the sequel though.

i also still have the 2 part animated movie Batman: The dark knight returns which totals up to 2 and a half hours long and covers batmans return from retirement, facing down the mutant gang, 2 face, jokers return, then a big showdown between batman vs superman. that's a good amount of action crammed into a 2 and a half hour animated movie. :)

i also have this one movie one of my aunts got me (birthday present i think) called D-War it's a 2007 south korean movie. pretty good overall, especially all the special effects and cg stuff. don't think i've seen many korean movies before. certainly not as good as this one anyway.

think i'll put that download on pause for now and just watch something else tonight.

D4rk
1 year ago
2013 amplifier black_hair earth_pony equine female feral friendship_is_magic fur grey_fur guitar hair hi_res horse looking_at_viewer mammal marble_pie_(mlp) musical_instrument my_little_pony nude outside playing_guitar playing_music pony ponykillerx purple_eyes solo speaker stage standing

Score: 119
User: masterwave
Date: July 03, 2013

What I can recommend is the film "9".

▼ Details

A scientist creates an AI that produces weapon for the military, but goes all Skynet. To save a part of humanity and life together this scientist creates little dolls.

Pretty disturbing (And I only consider 3 movies as such)

Another classic would be "The Boondock Saints" 1+2

▼ Details

Two irish brothers put down criminals in the name of god. Hilarius, gory and crazy. Both movies are classics

"11:14 (Eleven-fourteen)" is another gem that's worth watching

▼ Details

The movie shows different persons in different situations. It all plays around 11:14 pm. Each situation at this evening influences all others, but only at the end all puzzle parts make sense.

Sounds boring, but believe me, it's worth watching

When zombies are favourited "Collapse of the dead" is an underestimated movie

▼ Details

A farmer whitnesses a zombie attack and has to defend his wife and himself. He goes to town to scavenge supplies, meets other survivors and has to stand the final attack.

Sounds like the generic B-movie like "[Insert something] of the dead", but the punchline is genius

And as the last mention:A John Carpenter classic. "They live"

▼ Details

Unknown from most humans, aliens took over the world. The protagonist finds sunglasses that lets him see the true world. From this point he fights the invaders.

For gamers: This was also referenced in Saints Row IV. The mission with Keith David and Roddy Piper at the TV studio

That's my list for good, but not so well known movies.

My favorite movie ever since I first watched it is the fifth element I love that movie. I also like both parts of kill bill, gangs of new York, The thing, 9 ( I didn't know anyone else besides me saw that movie ) the warriors, Final fantasy advent children, The secret of NIMH, ed edd n eddys big picture show.
I don't know if it would still be any good but I used to like Pitch black when I was little same thing with final fantasy the spirits within if I ignored the fact it was supposed to be a final fantasy movie it was just a cool space movie.

treos
Blocked
1 year ago

one of THE best movie quotes ever starring Samuel L. Jackson. and also likely useful against someone who is speaking engrish on purpose. lol

oh and did you know that if you take and piece together all of the Mcbain clips in the simpsons, you get a movie? Mcbain: the full movie

I have a handful of favorites:

Ghiblishit: Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Bluthshit: The Secret of NIMH, The Last Unicorn

What the fuck am I watching: Paprika, Nekojiru-sou, Fritz the Cat 1+2

Stupid humor: Napoleon Dynamite, FDR: American Badass, Little Nicky, Tommy Boy

Feels: The Iron Giant, The Dog of Flanders (1997)

Ratte said:
Fritz the Cat 1+2

Gotta love 1970s animated sexploitation (and Robert Crumb in general, although he was barely involved).

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 249
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

I don't watch movies often, but my Top-20 would be something like this (not in order):
The City of Lost Children, The Blues Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors (1986), Shrek, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Kirikou and the Sorceress, Man of La Mancha (1972), Army of Darkness, The Happiness of the Katakuris, The Tune, The Secret of NIMH, Princes et princesses, Spirited Away, Pan's Labyrinth, Sin City, Waking Life, Bound, The Truman Show, Cube, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men (1957), Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom, La Moustache, Kung Fu Hustle,...

Wait, that's more than twenty. I'm terrible at making Top-20 lists.

You guys have surprisingly good taste. Can't believe I forgot to add Army of Darkness and Napoleon Dynamite.

and I forgot pan's labyrinth.

treos
Blocked
1 year ago

Genjar said:
I don't watch movies often, but my Top-20 would be something like this (not in order):
The City of Lost Children, The Blues Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors (1986), Shrek, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Kirikou and the Sorceress, Man of La Mancha (1972), Army of Darkness, The Happiness of the Katakuris, The Tune, The Secret of NIMH, Princes et princesses, Spirited Away, Pan's Labyrinth, Sin City, Waking Life, Bound, The Truman Show, Cube, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men (1957), Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom, La Moustache, Kung Fu Hustle,...

Wait, that's more than twenty. I'm terrible at making Top-20 lists.

haven't seen Little Shop of Horrors in a long time but i do still have the original ending i downloaded off youtube at some point. the one where the plants go on to destroy the city and they do the "mean green mother" scene. that and a lot of other movies is something i should check out again some time. maybe it's on netflix or something (aunt and uncle might like to see it again too).

there was another one which hasn't been mentioned here yet too but i can't remember the name. i think it had the word guardian in the title but i'm not sure. anthropomorphic animals wielding various weapons representing different elements... my memory of older movies is terrible. :/

it wasn't animated, i know that much for sure.

i know kung fu hustle was a good one.

o_O "The City of Lost Children" well, that was an...interesting trailer.

Here's list of some of my faves

Toy Story (Pretty much any movie made by Pixar)
The Dark Crystal
The Princess Bride
Legend (The 1985 fantasy film staring Tom Cruise and Tim Curry)
Blade Runner
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Edward Scissorhands
Groundhog Day
Spaceballs
Zootopia
The original Star Wars trilogy
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Frighteners
Ghostbusters (1984)
Back to the Future trilogy
The Wedding Singer
The Fifth Element
Napoleon Dynamite
Total Recall (1990)

Some of my faves:

-The Ten Commandments (1956)
-The Ten Commandments (1923)
-Ben-Hur (1959)
-Star Wars Episodes 1 through 7 and counting
-Indiana Jones 1, 3, and 4 (Yes, I actually do like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I know that makes me a heretic, but it's a far better Indiana Jones flick than Temple of Doom ever could hope to be... all in my not-so-humble opinion, of course)
-Charlotte's Web (1974)
-LoTR and The Hobbit live action films by Peter Jackson
-Avengers movies starting with Iron Man
-Dune (1984)
-The Hurt Locker (2008)
-Titanic (1997)
-DragonHeart (1996)
-A Man Called Horse (1970)
-Treasure Island (1934 and 1950)
-Ghostbusters (1984)
-The War of the Worlds (1953)

I could probably keep listing movies until sometime next week, but these will have to do for now.

treos
Blocked
1 year ago

InannaEloah said:
The Hobbit live action films by Peter Jackson

now THAT is one good looking dragon

he was probably my favorite part of those movies. :)

treos said:
now THAT is one good looking dragon

he was probably my favorite part of those movies. :)

Hell yeah!

D4rk
1 year ago
2013 amplifier black_hair earth_pony equine female feral friendship_is_magic fur grey_fur guitar hair hi_res horse looking_at_viewer mammal marble_pie_(mlp) musical_instrument my_little_pony nude outside playing_guitar playing_music pony ponykillerx purple_eyes solo speaker stage standing

Score: 119
User: masterwave
Date: July 03, 2013

Doomguy666 said:
My favorite movie ever since I first watched it is the fifth element I love that movie. I also like both parts of kill bill, gangs of new York, The thing, 9 ( I didn't know anyone else besides me saw that movie ) the warriors, Final fantasy advent children, The secret of NIMH, ed edd n eddys big picture show.
I don't know if it would still be any good but I used to like Pitch black when I was little same thing with final fantasy the spirits within if I ignored the fact it was supposed to be a final fantasy movie it was just a cool space movie.

This list is so green!

Clawdragons
Privileged
1 year ago

Hm. Well...

I really like most of Ghibli's movies. I don't think I've seen one of those that wasn't excellent, but my favorite was probably Princess Mononoke... That said! There are a few I haven't seen, such as Spirited Away, which I really ought to.

V for Vendetta is definitely one of my favorite movies as well.

An honorable mention to MST3K... If episodes of that still count as movies, then I'd have to say The Pumaman. Even on it's own merit it's hilariously goofy. Also, their episode of Santa Claus Conquers The Martians has become a Christmas tradition for me.

The Princess Bride is pretty excellent...

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but, then, I don't frequently watch movies.

D4rk said:
This list is so green!

thanks. Have you ever seen suicide kings? It's pretty good I think I watched it the same night I watched boondock saints ( which is also good ) because whenever I hear about one of those movies I think of the other.

treos
Blocked
1 year ago

i just remembered a couple i still have. the 2 Vampire Hunter D (vampire hunter D and vampire hunter D bloodlust) movies. fairly old by now but still pretty good.

i also still have Return of the living dead which unfortunately was the first in a series that suffered that fate of each sequel being worse than the last. the 2nd movie was...ok but the last 2? ugh, no, get rid of that trash.

edit (a day later): well, i just finished phantasm V and all i can say is... what the HELL WAS THAT?!

5th and final installment... NO! that was NOT an ending. what the fuck? how the hell is THAT supposed to be the end of this series of movies?

spoiler alert: the big finale is a fucking cliffhanger!

Lots of giant spheres are then shown in the sky, indicating the war with The Tall Man is far from finished.

they didn't end ANYTHING! not only that but i think the quality dropped somewhat...overall

Of the ones I've seen more recently:

• The Shawshank Redemption(1994) - This very rightfully earns the spot of highest rated film. Very well acted, well written, and you won't regret seeing it.
  • Witness for the Prosecution(1957) - Wonderfully paced, great story, characters are well developed. Don't expect any special effects or action scenes here.
  • House of Sand and Fog(2003) - This movie is extremely powerful, falls into the category of movies you should see, but will only ever want to watch once.
  • The Departed(2006) - Great acting, decent mix of action and story, enjoyable action/drama.
  • Sicario(2015) - Amazing camera work going on here, while it lacks a main character, this movie knows exactly how to build tension and keep you interested in what happens next.
  • The Conjuring(2013) - One of the few horror movies that I enjoyed where the movie took itself seriously. The director of photography for this film did one hell of a great job. Sound work is pretty spot on, and the build of tension and story telling just works. Mix of action and development scenes is well done for a horror movie. Skip the sequel if you though this one was super good, it doesn't seem to understand what made this one so great.
  • Deadpool(2016) - This is a campy, fourth wall breaking and self referential action film that manages to just work. Filled with crass humor and politically incorrect jokes. Not a super hero movie per-se.
  • Robot & Frank(2012) - An intriguing little movie. I really enjoyed the story of this one. Will make you think and feel. It doesn't really fit into a category either. I don't think this ever get a big release or reception, which is a shame.

I could probably produce a pretty large list if anyone was actually interested.

Some of my favs, in no particular order:

▼ Click to collapse

-The Sandlot (1993)
-Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
-Straight Outta Compton (2015)
-Lady and the Tramp (1955)
-Deadpool (2016)
-Rush Hour 2 (2001)
-Rush Hour 3 (2007)
-The Incredibles (2004)
-Happy Feet (2006)
-Up (2009)
-Madagascar (2005)
-Toy Story 2 (1998)
-Toy Story 3 (2010)
-The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
-Pulp Fiction (1994)
-Zootopia (2016)
-Bruce Almighty (2003)
-Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
-Rango (2011)
-The Wiz (1978)
-Creed (2015)
-Wall-E (2009)
-Boyz N The Hood (1991)
-Selena (1997)
-Stand and Deliver (1988)
-12 Angry Men (1957)

Gojira 1954 (big suprise for me)
Mad max fury road
The Grey
7 samurai
pacific rim
practically any Pixar film
Sleepy Hallow
Predator
The boy in the stripped pajamas
Terminator 2
gladiator
The godfather
jurrasic park
Alien
Rain of fire
Lost Boys
-those are practically my favorite films

Kaijudragon567 said:
The boy in the stripped pajamas

lol

treos
Blocked
1 year ago

• KiraNoot said:
    • Deadpool(2016) - This is a campy, fourth wall breaking and self referential action film that manages to just work. Filled with crass humor and politically incorrect jokes. Not a super hero movie per-se.

to be fair, deadpool is kinda like Marvel's version of pinkie pie. so the crazy antics, fourth wall breaking, and other nonsensical stuff is pretty much what he and pinkie pie do. that's pretty normal for them.

that and you gotta admit, it was pretty funny watching him mutilate himself while trying to beat up Colossus. lol then there the part when he makes colossus lose his lunch...

to expect sanity and normality from deadpool would be to expect the same of pinkie pie and that's just not right, is it?

Kaijudragon567 said:
    pacific rim

you ever hear of that one movie, Atlantic Rim? yeah...syfy went there. and it was about as terrible as one would expect of syfy.

sleepy hollow is a good one. in fact, a lot of movies based on fairy tales tend to be pretty good. also good is how a good number of them tend to be dark horror stories since that's how many fairy tales started out. dark, grim, cautionary tales.

what was that one movie, The brothers grimm? that one showed a number of fairy tales and none of which were cheerful OR pleasant. a kid became the gingerbread man and took off...another becoming a mud creature iirc...horse trapping a child in spider webs and kidnapping him. fairy tales often have some rather unpleasant origins... they make for good movies though.

OO that reminds me. i should check out that one about Krampus some time. never seen a movie about that mythical figure before.

Ledian
    Privileged
    1 year ago
    2017 ambiguous_gender beverage clothed clothing coffee colored_sketch commander_ledi cup drinking flora_fauna fully_clothed guild_wars hair micro mutisija plant purple_body purple_hair simple_background sketch slurping solo sylvari video_games white_background

Score: 20
User: Commander_Eggplant
Date: September 20, 2017

i dont watch much movies because im usually too adhd for that. but from what i have watched, my absolute favorite movies are the lotr movies, pacific rim. theres also two not so big movies that i liked a lot. other one is called unna ja nuuk and the other one is called the lives of others

Lance_Armstrong said:
    lol

You always need to cry at one movie. Granted I shead many tears at Terminator 2...

treos said:
    to be fair, deadpool is kinda like Marvel's version of pinkie pie. so the crazy antics, fourth wall breaking, and other nonsensical stuff is pretty much what he and pinkie pie do. that's pretty normal for them.

that and you gotta admit, it was pretty funny watching him mutilate himself while trying to beat up Colossus. lol then there the part when he makes colossus lose his lunch...

to expect sanity and normality from deadpool would be to expect the same of pinkie pie and that's just not right, is it?

you ever hear of that one movie, Atlantic Rim? yeah...syfy went there. and it was about as terrible as one would expect of syfy.

sleepy hollow is a good one. in fact, a lot of movies based on fairy tales tend to be pretty good. also good is how a good number of them tend to be dark horror stories since that's how many fairy tales started out. dark, grim, cautionary tales.

what was that one movie, The brothers grimm? that one showed a number of fairy tales and none of which were cheerful OR pleasant. a kid became the gingerbread man and took off...another becoming a mud creature iirc...horse trapping a child in spider webs and kidnapping him. fairy tales often have some rather unpleasant origins... they make for good movies though.

OO that reminds me. i should check out that one about Krampus some time. never seen a movie about that mythical figure before.

I'll be honest, I love syfy movies. They're like a bad comedy that you can't help but laugh at. I also highly recommended Krampus, a nice dark twist on the normal Holliday. Finally I forgot to mention this Korean movie called The Host, very awesome if you can find it.

Munkelzahn
    Privileged
    1 year ago

Not a movie, but the new Westworld series looks very interesting.

edit: I bet everyone here would love a Westworld with furries. Only it wouldn't be the robots getting raped by the guests.

Munkelzahn said:
    Not a movie, but the new Westworld series looks very interesting.

edit: I bet everyone here would love a Westworld with furries. Only it wouldn't be the robots getting raped by the guests.

Submit to palcomix idea desk.