BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Rating: Safe
Score: 28
User: flux_capacitor
Date: March 02, 2013

Should we be allowed to use the crossdressing tag for a character whose gender is listed as ambiguous?

crossdressing -male -female

ambiguous_gender anthro canine clothed clothing eyewear girly goggles hi_res iwbitu looking_at_viewer mammal one-piece_swimsuit open_jacket open_mouth solo standing swimsuit wet wide_hips

Score: 15
User: Cat-in-Flight
Date: August 16, 2017

Then you get situations like this where a female character wearing female clothing is labelled crossdressing because the female character doesn't look female enough to be considered female.

BlueDingo said:
Should we be allowed to use the crossdressing tag for a character whose gender is listed as ambiguous?

crossdressing -male -female

ambiguous_gender anthro canine clothed clothing eyewear girly goggles hi_res iwbitu looking_at_viewer mammal one-piece_swimsuit open_jacket open_mouth solo standing swimsuit wet wide_hips

Score: 15
User: Cat-in-Flight
Date: August 16, 2017

Then you get situations like this where a female character wearing female clothing is labelled crossdressing because the female character doesn't look female enough to be considered female.

no, crossdressing implies that the character has a gender that is in opposition to the clothing they wear. ambiguous_gender is basically when no gender is identifiable. Also that link is a cuntboy, not female>_>

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago
2013 5_fingers abs anthro athletic canine claws collarbone cute dingo front_view fur gloves_(marking) half-length_portrait holding_arm imiak inner_ear_fluff looking_at_viewer male mammal markings navel nipples nude peachez pecs pink_eyes pink_fur pink_nose portrait pose shy solo tan_fur v-cut

Darou said:
Also that link is a cuntboy, not female>_>

Hence the "doesn't look female enough to be considered female" bit. It wasn't a mistake.

Also, wouldn't treating intersex characters as neither male or female be a good reason to remove the crossdressing tag from all of them?

BlueDingo
Privileged
3 months ago

How should we handle all the torn_clothing tags. On one hand, we have several article-specific tags and some of these are implicated. On the other hand, the wiki page says to go no more specific than torn_topwear and torn_bottomwear, neither of which imply torn_clothing.

List of torn_* tags

Personally, I think going down to basic articles (short, pants, underwear, etc.) should be okay but no further (singlet, jeans, panties, etc.), otherwise we'd end up with a lot of tags related to this.

O16
2 months ago
2016 :d <3 abomasnow alakazam amaura animate_inanimate antennae anthro arcanine avalugg badge bastiodon beak beartic biped black_body black_eyes black_fur black_horn black_nose black_scales black_sclera blue_body blue_claws blue_eyes blue_feathers blue_fur blue_pawpads blue_scales blue_sclera bovine brown_body brown_feathers brown_fur canine claws cloud cranidos crotch_tuft digitigrade dipstick_tail directional_arrow eeveelution electricity english_text excadrill eyes_closed fangs feathered_wings feathers feline feral fire floating floatzel flower fur fur_markings gem gengar gloves_(marking) gogoat gold_scales green_body green_feathers green_fur grey_body grin group hair half-closed_eyes hand_holding hawlucha haxorus heliolisk hi_res hidden_eyes hindpaw hooves horn ice insect_wings jellicent kingdra kneeling leaf leavanny lillipup long_tail looking_at_another looking_at_viewer looking_down lucario lunatone luxray magneton makuhita mammal markings meowstic milotic miltank mismagius monster multi_tail multicolored_body multicolored_feathers multicolored_fur multicolored_scales multicolored_tail musical_note neck_tuft nidoking nintendo no_sclera nosepass on_one_leg onix open_mouth orange_body orange_fur panpour pansage pansear pawpads paws pidgeotto piloswine pink_body pink_fur pink_nose pink_sclera plant pokéball pokémon pokémon_(species) poliwrath purple_body purple_fur purple_hair quadruped raichu red_body red_claws red_eyes red_feathers red_fur red_hooves red_nose red_sclera ribbons rodent rose roserade scales screw scyther sharp_teeth shell silver_body sitting slaking sloth smile socks_(marking) solrock sparkle spikes spiral standing star starmie steam steelix stripes sun swanna sylveon tail_tuft talons tan_body tan_feathers tan_fur tan_scales teal_eyes teeth text toe_claws tongue torkoal tuft tusks two_tone_body two_tone_fur tyrunt video_games vileplume vivillon watchog water weezing whirlipede white_body white_eyes white_feathers white_fur white_hair white_scales wide_eyed wings yellow_beak yellow_body yellow_eyes yellow_feathers yellow_fur yellow_sclera zebstrika かんな_2日目東m02a

Score: 50
User: Rad_Dudesman
Date: February 28, 2016

BlueDingo said:
How should we handle all the torn_clothing tags. On one hand, we have several article-specific tags and some of these are implicated. On the other hand, the wiki page says to go no more specific than torn_topwear and torn_bottomwear, neither of which imply torn_clothing.

List of torn_* tags

Personally, I think going down to basic articles (short, pants, underwear, etc.) should be okay but no further (singlet, jeans, panties, etc.), otherwise we'd end up with a lot of tags related to this.

Better to choose more board terms, we already somewhat prefer those; additionally we currently are trying to officialize this as a standard regarding other variations (e.g. [color]_*, open_*, etc).
Also I doubt we would reach a real consensus about what exactly is a "basic (clothing) article".

Looking for fan art I noticed several of Tardor's characters are labeled as another artist, such as gates_(al-cat) (Normey the ferret and others as well). Is al-cat just Tardor's alternate name for his adult artwork? The art design doesn't look similar enough to me (Tardor's is more cartoony while al-cat is slightly more realistically proportioned, softer linework) but that could be intentional...

KevSnowcat said:
Looking for fan art I noticed several of Tardor's characters are labeled as another artist, such as gates_(al-cat) (Normey the ferret and others as well). Is al-cat just Tardor's alternate name for his adult artwork? The art design doesn't look similar enough to me (Tardor's is more cartoony while al-cat is slightly more realistically proportioned, softer linework) but that could be intentional...

Hmm, nobody knows? I came here to find some of al-cat's fan art of Tardor's characters and was surprised to see them all labeled character_(al-cat)!

KevSnowcat said:
Hmm, nobody knows? I came here to find some of al-cat's fan art of Tardor's characters and was surprised to see them all labeled character_(al-cat)!

I dunno. I poked around a bit and found this al-cat person present on http://alcat.tumblr.com/ and https://www.furaffinity.net/user/al-cat/
Do either of those look similar? Do you have any samples of Tardor's work you can share, or accounts you can link to?

Also, this thread seems to be for discussing tags and technical details. There may be a more relevant thread elsewhere.

Can I remove the ice_dildo tags? There's only two images, and ice improvised_sex_toy produces a reasonably sized image set.

MatrixMash said:
I dunno. I poked around a bit and found this al-cat person present on http://alcat.tumblr.com/ and https://www.furaffinity.net/user/al-cat/
Do either of those look similar? Do you have any samples of Tardor's work you can share, or accounts you can link to?

Also, this thread seems to be for discussing tags and technical details. There may be a more relevant thread elsewhere.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure if this was the right place, but I didn't think making a /new/ thread for one tag question was a good idea if "tag discussion" had a thread.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Tardor
http://twitter.com/TardorJet

Char sheet for Normey: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/13058129/
Normey from 9 years ago: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1578371/
Char design for Gates: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10736714/

KevSnowcat said:
Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure if this was the right place, but I didn't think making a /new/ thread for one tag question was a good idea if "tag discussion" had a thread.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Tardor
http://twitter.com/TardorJet

Char sheet for Normey: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/13058129/
Normey from 9 years ago: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1578371/
Char design for Gates: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10736714/

Interesting.

I looked at the images tagged al-cat. Curiously, most of them were uploaded by a single user. All of the sources look legit--they're present on al-cat's tumblr, pixiv account, and other stuff. They were also posted largely by a single user, two months ago: compare user:Damien-The-Red-Panda al-cat with -user:Damien-The-Red-Panda al-cat. The second link searches for images, tagged al-cat, that were NOT uploaded by this user.

Looking at the other images... ignoring the zootopia fanart, there are two with character tags:
and
Both came after Damien's mass upload. The tag history for some of the posts with character tags shows that Damien was the one who added those tags to the images:
1 2 3 4 5
It is therefore likely that Damien was the one who created the character tags as they are now.

Damien-The-Red-Panda was probably acting in good faith. Without signatures or descriptions, there's no way to guess who made a character, so finding these drawings on someone's tumblr/FA/whatever is usually enough of a clue for determining the artist.

I don't know the precise rules on tag definitions: most tags are what they are kept because that's the way they evolved. That said, if Tardor is the legitimate creator of these characters, then the tags should probably be changed. I don't know where to take this from here.

Probably, one of us should message Damien and ask them if there's something we don't know.

Then we can ask for an official alias. The request will be buried under the rubble of about fifty other alias requests that the mods can't deal with on top of everything else they have to do, and all will be quietly forgotten. Or we could just change all the tags ourselves. There's only, like, fifty, I guess, but I'd like to get someone else involved, preferably someone privileged, before doing something like that. What do you think?

BlueDingo said:
Also, wouldn't treating intersex characters as neither male or female be a good reason to remove the crossdressing tag from all of them?

That's got my support. crossdressing intersex solo only returns 10 images, and most of them don't make sense to me. e.g. dickgirls in skirts: The bottom half is cross-dressed, but the top half isn't? idk.

Then we can ask for an official alias. The request will be buried under the rubble of about fifty other alias requests that the mods can't deal with on top of everything else they have to do, and all will be quietly forgotten. Or we could just change all the tags ourselves. There's only, like, fifty, I guess, but I'd like to get someone else involved, preferably someone privileged, before doing something like that. What do you think

...maybe better to just hope a mod comments on this thread. >.>

Should images where the eyes contain hearts, but aren't hearts themselves, be tagged <3_eyes?

They're small, white, and hard to see.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

MatrixMash said:
Should images where the eyes contain hearts, but aren't hearts themselves, be tagged <3_eyes?

They're small, white, and hard to see.

<3_eyes includes heart-shaped pupils. This is an odd case, though...

BlueDingo said:
<3_eyes includes heart-shaped pupils. This is an odd case, though...

Hmm. Looking for it, it's more frequent than I expected:
<3 <3_eyes anon aryanne aryanne_(character) blonde_hair blue_eyes disembodied_hand duo earth_pony equine fan_character female forest green_skin gsuus_(artist) hair horse mammal my_little_pony navel pony road smile text tree

Score: 2
User: Aryanne_Hoofler
Date: October 12, 2017 edit:
and I know I've seen at least one more. Still, that's only three results in a full page, so it's not common at all.

Do pictures like this count as bikini_top, and if so, can we do something about the aliasing bikini_topbikiniswimsuit?

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

Durandal said:
Do pictures like this count as bikini_top, and if so, can we do something about the aliasing bikini_topbikiniswimsuit?

bikini_top already implies bikini.

BlueDingo said:
bikini_top already implies bikini.

I know, my point was that tagging that picture with bikini_top will automatically end up implying swimsuit in cases where she's not exactly wearing a swimsuit. Like Quiet's outfit. "Bra-like outerwear". More examples being:
absurd_res anthro bikini bikini_top black_fur black_hair breasts camo cat clothed clothing danawolfin detailed_background digitigrade duo feline female fur hair hi_res mammal midriff navel pants swimsuit

Score: 21
User: DaNa_Wolfin
Date: October 01, 2017
2014 anthro bikini bikini_top blue_eyes breasts clothing collar eyewear facial_piercing female glasses hair jotaku mammal marsupial nose_piercing opossum piercing septum_piercing solo sweat swimsuit thalidomide

Score: 19
User: Knotty_Curls
Date: May 11, 2015

I don't know. Maybe it's a small enough issue we can ignore it. The "solutions" would be either make a new tag for non-swimsuit tops that look like bikinis, or break the bikini_topbikini implication.

This also loops back into my constantly recurring question of "What is Krystal wearing???", which I have yet to find a satisfactory answer for.
3_toes anthro armor bikini bikini_top blue_fur blue_hair bracers canine clothing female footwear fox fur gem greaves green_eyes hair hair_ornament headband jewelry krystal loincloth low_res mammal markings necklace nintendo sandals short_hair solo spaulders staff star_fox swimsuit toes tribal unknown_artist video_games weapon white_fur

Score: 4
User: Cane751
Date: July 04, 2015

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

If a character is wearing a bikini top then they are wearing part of a swimsuit, so the tagging and implications are technically accurate. Whether or not they're wearing something non-swimsuit related with it doesn't change that.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 253
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

BlueDingo said:
If a character is wearing a bikini top then they are wearing part of a swimsuit, so the tagging and implications are technically accurate.

I wouldn't consider ones such as post #7876 to be swinwear.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

Genjar said:
I wouldn't consider ones such as post #7876 to be swinwear.

I wouldn't consider that a bikini. A very skimpy breastplate, maybe?

Genjar said:
I wouldn't consider ones such as post #7876 to be swimwear.

Well...it is non-encumbering enough that she could swim in it...

That said, I don't think bikini-style armor should be aliased to bikini. They aren't actual bikinis after all, it's just a descriptor. So bikini_plate (as in that image) wouldn't need the bikini or swimwear tags, and chainmail_bikini should probably have alias removed and tagged images be cleaned to remove the bikini/swimwear tags there too.

BlueDingo
Privileged
1 month ago

O16 said:
Better to choose more board terms, we already somewhat prefer those; additionally we currently are trying to officialize this as a standard regarding other variations (e.g. [color]_*, open_*, etc).
Also I doubt we would reach a real consensus about what exactly is a "basic (clothing) article".

Perhaps we should alias each term to the most appropriate "wear" term instead. *_topwear, *_bottomwear, *_armwear, *_legwear, *_underwear and *_swimwear.

Something's going on with the switch tag. The wiki says it's for "who is comfortable being both top or bottom during sex", but it's turned into a character tag at some point. I assume the switch dog got mixed up with it, but I've also seen some light switches (post #1131983). Also, most of the posts here seem like they've been tagged under TWYK and not TWYS. The best option might just be to disambiguate the tag (light switches, Nintendo Switch, any misc. characters named "Switch"), but I think there's some value in showing images where a character switches between catching and pitching.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 month ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 253
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Strikerman said:
Something's going on with the switch tag.

forum #243814.

MatrixMash said:
Hmm. Looking for it, it's more frequent than I expected:
<3 <3_eyes anon aryanne aryanne_(character) blonde_hair blue_eyes disembodied_hand duo earth_pony equine fan_character female forest green_skin gsuus_(artist) hair horse mammal my_little_pony navel pony road smile text tree

Score: 2
User: Aryanne_Hoofler
Date: October 12, 2017 edit:
and I know I've seen at least one more. Still, that's only three results in a full page, so it's not common at all.

It's a phenomenon that's become pretty common in Japanese art, I find. Gelbooru has a separate tag for it which has 22349 images currently, and on this site I'm seeing a lot more than 3 results on the first <3_eyes page alone where the tag refers to the pupil shape.

Noticed slingshot tag had been changed to a character tag, but the slingshot wiki page was still about the weapon.

Seems to have happened because was initially tagged with slingshot (but as name of character)
{later the same day was corrected to slingshot_(character)}.

Changed slingshot tag back to being a general tag.

(Compared 1310866 to 738032, and seems to be same image except 1310866 is smaller .. flagging for deletion)

I'd like to add a wiki page for food_play. I'll mention a forum post about food_play implications (it was ignored) and this forum.

There are 957 posts with food_play and 24 with food_fetish. Any other related tags/alias fodder I should mention?

Should food_play include posts like

I think it should.

I think all situations where food plays an "enhanced role" in the post, as compared to regular situations where the food is just there or being eaten as normal, should be noted with an additional food_* tag.

MatrixMash said:
Should food_play include posts like

I think it should.

The picture on the left: yes.

The picture on the right: I'm not as sure. The food imagery is significant, and the character does have some icing drizzled over top himself, but what exactly is the _play aspect? So, I guess, define "play" in the context of food_play. What makes that image food_play and not just a "normal" micro image? I came up with a potential answer below.

Also, I feel there's ambiguity between food_play and food_fetish, with food_play being the more general tag. food_fetish definitely includes stimulating or teasing erogenous zones.

▼ covered in chocolate

Looking at other food uses not directly sexual, there's the classic (usually nude) character covered in chocolate/any food example. By itself that's not really stimulation, but it does fetishize the food (i.e., done for the sake of a viewer with sexual connotations) and should qualify as a food_fetish for that reason.

▼ swimming in food

Another classic is swimming or bathing in wine/any liquid food. Looking at ~cup ~glass ~wine ~martini micro, it's immediately obvious many results are Safe and don't resonate with food_fetish, so food_fetish should always be at least Questionable (it needs to be said).

alice0701 ambiguous_gender beverage blue_eyes cup cute eeveelution fangs feral food fruit glass hair_bow hair_ribbon hi_res in_container in_cup micro milkshake nintendo pokémon pokémon_(species) ribbons solo straw strawberry sylveon video_games

Score: 9
User: AnacondaRifle
Date: June 25, 2013

Does doing sexual things or merely being naked (casual_nudity should never describe a *_fetish situation) with food as a major, passive prop count as food_fetish, though? It's not my fetish, so it's hard for me to say... But I think there's enough of an argument supporting the notion that those situations sexualize the food by proximity, so I can see the food_fetish tag being justified that way. Because horny people are going to be horny and ruin everything (see: furries), leaving no room for casual_nudity. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's expedient to take positions like those for tagging purposes.

▼ food focus

OR, throw away that last paragraph (in "swimming in food") and create a food_focus and food_fetish paradigm, exactly mirroring the foot_focus and foot_fetish paradigm. With that, casual_nudity or doing sexy things around major food props would be food_focus only. Posts that emphasize food would also be tagged food_focus, which is about half of eating. That would change to food_fetish when the food is used sexually or presents clear sexual messaging (e.g., "eat the food and then eat me").

That should cover the fetish aspect of food situations. I just want to mention the commonly sexualized popsicle tag, as well as the general, relevant suggestive_food tag. Oh yeah, and straight vore isn't a food_fetish just like regular eating isn't a food_fetish.

Having reached this point of my post, I don't like the food_play tag anymore. Its lack of specificity only encapsulates a little more than does food_fetish, but those other posts it drags in are weakly themed. I feel taggers must employ mental gymnastics to tag them with food_play, which is no longer Tag What You See, just like foot_fetish before it was split.

Posts like this deserve the food_play tag or something very similar, but this one is not sexual at all. However, it would prop up and bolster the identity of the food_focus tag.

ambiguous_gender blush eeveelution embarrassed feral food food_play hi_res japanese_text leafeon nintendo open_mouth pokémon pokémon_(species) ravinosuke1 salad simple_background solo text video_games

Score: 18
User: MaleLeafeon
Date: December 03, 2016